Pound 4 Pound

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SPARKY101
Captain

Pound 4 Pound

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:28 am

If you could put a SMB or a LMB = weights..on the end of your line what would you choose.
For instance 5#bonzie vs 5#greenie 6#,7# even breaking the state record smb8+#?
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Pound 4 Pound

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:31 am

Are you talking about the fight the fish provide?

Smallmouth.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:32 am

Small mouth hands down
No contest

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:42 am

Amx wrote:Are you talking about the fight the fish provide?

Smallmouth.
Thats included into whatever helps you make your decision!!!!!

Team OLYBOYZ

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:44 am

Small mouth all the way.... But the reason I fished for greenies so much is the likely hood of catching the bigger fish...
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:01 pm

I'd go with the smallie. They just fight harder. Like fishaholictaz says tho...I fish for the greenies too because of the bigger fish, and numbers
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:14 pm

I don't have a whole lot of experience fishing smallies but they don't seem to take topwaters as well and they dont seem to go airborne much, unlike lmbs that readily take topwaters and do acrobatics. That's why I like lmbs.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:20 pm

crankbait42 wrote:I don't have a whole lot of experience fishing smallies but they don't seem to take topwaters as well and they dont seem to go airborne much, unlike lmbs that readily take topwaters and do acrobatics. That's why I like lmbs.
Man smallies get airborne:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:28 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:
crankbait42 wrote:I don't have a whole lot of experience fishing smallies but they don't seem to take topwaters as well and they dont seem to go airborne much, unlike lmbs that readily take topwaters and do acrobatics. That's why I like lmbs.
Man smallies get airborne:-"
Oh ya they do! I've even had one torpedo my boat. Image I had to check the side later to be sure it wasn't cracked. Image
Tom.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Spooks will get u a smallie..although i missed my few chances already this year but had a back seater nail a solid 4 on spook already..and i believe BMD had his PB on a spook"maybe".The blow ups are fierce they will come straight up and completly outta the water goin for the spooks"early morning around docks give it a try..go super spook on them..
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team OLYBOYZ

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:37 pm

DARN! Now I have to go 'spookin' tomorrow morning. Image
Tom.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Smallie for sure. A 5# smallie is like an 8# Largie in my mind, so of coarse a SMB. Pound for pound the smallie puts up more of a fight. Big largies will pull like trains and try to bury you. Big smallies can go balistic and make you feel like your line is going to snap at any moment.
Now if we compare them not as eaquals and are fair in comparison between the two species, would I rather catch a hawg smallie (6lbs+) or a hawg largie (8lbs+) I would have to choose a LMB. Sorry, but I love the greenies.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:09 pm

fishnislife wrote:Smallie for sure. A 5# smallie is like an 8# Largie in my mind, so of coarse a SMB. Pound for pound the smallie puts up more of a fight. Big largies will pull like trains and try to bury you. Big smallies can go balistic and make you feel like your line is going to snap at any moment.
Now if we compare them not as eaquals and are fair in comparison between the two species, would I rather catch a hawg smallie (6lbs+) or a hawg largie (8lbs+) I would have to choose a LMB. Sorry, but I love the greenies.

Dont hijack from the origin of the question start ur own thread of big fat lazy bass:cheers:apples to apples not peas to watermelons.. kumkwat:cyclopsan

fishnislife

Team OLYBOYZ

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Is it just me but i have had 1 pound smallies fight way harder then 3 lb largies

Also about smallies not getting airborne ive had 4lb smallies i hook drop shotting in 30 feet of water go full steam to the surface leaping 3 feet outta the water trying to shake the hook. the also have many more drag burning line pealing runs. they try to sppol u as a largie tries to wrap you around cover.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Is it just me but i have had 1 pound smallies fight way harder then 3 lb largies

Also about smallies not getting airborne ive had 4lb smallies i hook drop shotting in 30 feet of water go full steam to the surface leaping 3 feet outta the water trying to shake the hook. the also have many more drag burning line pealing runs. they try to sppol u as a largie tries to wrap you around cover.
High 5 FM..u know it:cheers:

Team OLYBOYZ

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Okay Sparky and I were talking about this earlier. Yes, for the fight I would go for smallies. BUT Like taz said, the location I am in and where I fish I choose largemouth fishing over smallies. I go for the heaviest weight I can manage. I have not caught a 5+smallie and couldn't say how the fight would be but my PB is 4.13 and wow was it a good fight.

Now, we talk about the fun fight of a smallie from 20-30ft. deep on most likely light line. If you catch a LMB the same its the same fight. I prefer LMB yeah I got heavier line which would reduce the time of fight. And most likely I am catching that LMB pretty shallow and close to the boat. Every LMB I have caught up here that has been over 4lbs has ran straight for deep water and stripped line from my reels. If you say they don't fight then downsize that line and go get yourself a 4lb largie.

As long as I still live in OLY-town I will always go to LMB. Why, I have three lake within reach with smallies and only one may have smallies over 5. Within the same area I couldn't count on both hands how many lakes held bass over 6lbs.

So this is my reasoning on why I fish largies over smallies in this area.

BMD

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm

The smallies will peel line like no other and for good size fish they will jump mutiple times head shaking. They remind me of king salmon as they will come up to the surface see the boat and dive straight to the bottom again. For example Ipod caught a 4lber that jumped then shot back down to the bottom and keep pulling line.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:51 pm

6# LINE 20' Been there done that BMD:cheers: Smallies were still better:bball:
Attachments
HPIM3883.jpg
HPIM3883.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 5307 times

Team OLYBOYZ

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:55 pm

I landed my pb 7lb largemouth on six pound mono and had a better fight from my personal best 4lb 10ounce smallmouth

Here is ipods from yesterday
weighed 4lb 3ounces
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:01 pm

I am not arguing the fight. I totally agree that smallies are funner and fight better. But I am in pursuit of beating my personal best weight. I still fish smallies cuz it is FUN and a good fight. But I will probably not beat my PB smallie at american, black, or clear!