Burbot in lake washington??

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
carcano38
Angler

Burbot in lake washington??

Post by carcano38 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:31 am

I was bass fishing on friday morning at about 50 ft and hooked into what I thought was a burbot. The fish broke off about 10ft from the boat. Are there burbot in lake washington??

fishing collector
Captain

RE:Burbot in lake washington??

Post by fishing collector » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:01 am

I would think so ...they are a bottom feeder and look like this... These were from a lake in BC...
Attachments
lota1.jpg
lota1.jpg (151.52 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:20 am

My first inclination is to say no, there aren't any burbot in Lake Washington. That being said, Lake Washington never ceases to amaze me with the large array of fish species it supports. But burbot aren't know for their fighting prowess, so if it broke you off, it more than likely wasn't one. If the fish was less than a foot long you may have had a huge sculpin attack your bait. They look like a miniature lingcod, complete with a huge mouth, mottled brown markings and a very aggressive nature. As a kid I could be entertained for hours catching them and, out of curiosity, I even ate a few of the large ones I caught.
Attachments
sculpin.jpg
sculpin.jpg (252.93 KiB) Viewed 3084 times

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:04 pm

burbot are native to the state, so it wouldnt surprise me. G-man, how did they taste

ltlfsh
Angler

Post by ltlfsh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 pm

um...I'm confused...

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Typical white meated fish, I can't remember much beyond that other than we finished all the ones we cooked/fried. As for a supposed 22lb burbot caught at the mouth of the Cedar last year, I call B.S. If the person actually did catch a burbot, I doubt it was that big, as a fish that size would have broken the state record by 5 pounds. There are all sorts of rumors surrounding fish species in lake Washington, my favorite one is that there are a few Mackinaws swimming around it its depths. However, until I see some proof, I will remain a skeptic.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:00 pm

I have no idea if there are burbot in lake Wa.

Two things....

1) in my experience the are much darker in the northern latitudes than the pic fishingcollecter put up. Never seen one that bright. The dorsal fin is a dead give away for burbot.

2) they are actually pretty good fighters once they hit 24". I have landed a 29", seen a 30", and netted a 24" (not in WA). In all three instances, they were believed to be pike/musky before being netted. Personally, a 27"" burbot fights harder than most warmwater fish of equal size.. But i guess at 27" 8 lbs , almost any fish is a good fight....

Bring the camera next time!!

EDIT:

three things.

3) not exclusively bottom feeders. Most I have seen have been live bait (minnow,worm,small frog, jumbo cricket) dangled below a float 1/2 down the water column in thick weeds [or just inside/outside the weedline......:-$ ] 8-15 ft when the water is warm (weed edge line). Maybe 15-25 (depending on overall lake depth) in the winter/ice........All big one's were in the weeds still fishing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....