C&R Stirring Up!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
delyakguy
Warrant Officer

RE:C&R Stirring Up!

Post by delyakguy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:12 pm

I agree JWerner. I see people keep "personal best" fish to eat. I heard big bass dont taste good, and I try to talk them out of it. Telling them it can be someone else's PB down the road. Maybe even their PB if lucky enough to catch it again. I have not kept a fish in probably 6yrs, even then it was trout(stockers). But everyone is different right???
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 am

I don't do much C&R, unless it undersize not legal. Why, well I enjoying catcing the fishng, but most of all I enjoy eating it. One of the most healthiest foods you can eat. Bass, walleye, panfish, they all taste so good fried in a pan(well except for the fish at West medical lake).

JWerner
Warrant Officer

Post by JWerner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 am

hmmm... even with the mercury warnings...

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:41 am

I never release the fish i catch at fred meyers :clown:
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 am

Maybe the proper word is NOT confront, but educate. The law is the law and any responsible angler will follow it; and will know the regulations for the water in which they chose to fish. It is any anglers prerogative to either keep their (legal) catch or CP&R it to see another day. :cheers:

I started fishing "back in the day" (I'm not telling my age!!), before C&R was much more than a passing thought. It was common, especially in the Midwest and WI, MN and Ontario to keep a fair amount of fare and even eat one or two on a shore lunch when you were out for the day. Suddenly, however, thanks to Gil Hamm (in the Muskie arena), C&R became commonplace. Not only was it "fashionable" to let your fish go, it was an environmentally sound idea. It caught on quickly and has been gaining momentum ever since. I think it's particularly an important (and sensitive) issue for us Muskie anglers, because of the limited amount of Tigers in the Pac NW.

Though I can't remember the last time I ate a fish that I caught (and that's not due to my beginning stages of Alzheimers--no, I'm not telling my age), but for some keeping a PB is the thrill of a lifetime. Can we really fault someone for that?

So, you see...there are good arguments on both sides. We can all learn from each if we are open minded ("Minds Are Like Parachutes, They Only Function When They Are Open.") and respectful of each other's opinions. Granted some fisherpeople are more passionate about their perspective than others, but it still comes down to respect; respect for the sport and respect for each other.

There's enough water out there to float all of our approaches, as long as they are legal, of course!

Fish On!

PAD :fish:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crumb
Petty Officer

Post by Crumb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:23 pm

=d> =d> =d> Nicely stated, and I concur.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:57 pm

:sunny: Thanks Crumb.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:46 pm

:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

skeetrzx225
Petty Officer

Post by skeetrzx225 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:57 pm

i never keep the fish but i do eat the bait deep fried senkos are awsome!!

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:57 pm

I will probably catch some slack but I usually keep fish. Where I am from bass are plentiful but after moving to WA in 02 I have only kept 1 bass and it was good eatens. I won't deplete an already weak lake or anything like that so thats primarily why I don't keep 98% of my bass I catch here but trout are another story.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks BB. I haven't kept a bass in 4 years anywho. But I'm not too worried about anyone being superconfrontational. My drill sergeants made me a trained killing machine LOL.

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:24 pm

:scratch: Unfortunately, BB, there are those that just might confront someone in person with their opinion. That's how bad situations occur, people get hurt and sometimes people end up with assault charges; sulking at your local county facility. Of course, none of the esteemed, brillant anglers that use this site would ever dare consider such a scandalous and disrepsectful act...and if they do, it sounds like we can sic RB on them!!

Here's to being safe and sane on (and around) the water!!

PAD :fish:

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:00 am

RB wrote:Thanks BB. I haven't kept a bass in 4 years anywho. But I'm not too worried about anyone being superconfrontational. My drill sergeants made me a trained killing machine LOL.
Being big, young and tough is great RB but some little runt with loose marbles and a gun can be really dangerous.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:28 am

Bob Johansen wrote:
RB wrote:Thanks BB. I haven't kept a bass in 4 years anywho. But I'm not too worried about anyone being superconfrontational. My drill sergeants made me a trained killing machine LOL.
Being big, young and tough is great RB but some little runt with loose marbles and a gun can be really dangerous.
Oh Bob I wasn't serious I was just playing around. I am not that big of a guy :).

skeetrzx225
Petty Officer

Post by skeetrzx225 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:53 am

bob your right in this day people dont care they have no respect for anyone or anything they rather solve it with a gun. hopefuly people will realize that c and r is very important to the future of our fisheries.

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 am

I agree everytime I go camping to fish at least one of my friends or myself will bring a weapon with us. It's a security issue with the wildlife I don't like mountain lions hah. I'd never confront someone for obeying the law or disobeying it while out away from cell reception hah. I'd simply write down plates, make model or boat ID and turn it over to the authorities. Simply because some people are crazy and you never know if they too carry a weapon. If you don't like what someones doing within the law to damn bad, it may frustrate you but just suck it up and move on. If they however break the law turn it in, don't be a vigilante with anger issues hurting a fish is a far cry from hurting another human (where you'd have the right to step in).
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:04 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:54 pm

This thread is a dead horse that cost this site a member. Time to wrap it up. "You better wrap that gavel up B!":dj:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"