Amber Lake Opener

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lotech Joe
Commodore

Amber Lake Opener

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:28 am

Just wondering if anyone here is planning on Amber Lake when it opens. I'm also wondering if you think the ice will be off the lake. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but all this snow has me stir crazy.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Amber Lake Opener

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:32 pm

I won't fish seasonal lakes on the opener. The last time I looked at Amber on Opening Day, I swear I could walk accros the water on float tubes and pontoons.

How in the world you get any back cast room is beyond me.#-o :-({|=
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:29 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:Just wondering if anyone here is planning on Amber Lake when it opens. I'm also wondering if you think the ice will be off the lake. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but all this snow has me stir crazy.

Never too early to start planning fishing trips. The opener has been on my mind for a few months now, along with the june 1st river opener, the summer salmon season, and so. I think this years opener has been on my mind acctually since last years opener lol. I accutually have something in the works for every opener.

I dont know when Amber opens, but if its at the end of april I think you should be fine. But then again this winter is said to be the worst weve had in years. Marc M. should know though.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:57 pm

gpc wrote:
Lotech Joe wrote:Just wondering if anyone here is planning on Amber Lake when it opens. I'm also wondering if you think the ice will be off the lake. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but all this snow has me stir crazy.

Never too early to start planning fishing trips. The opener has been on my mind for a few months now, along with the june 1st river opener, the summer salmon season, and so. I think this years opener has been on my mind acctually since last years opener lol. I accutually have something in the works for every opener.

I dont know when Amber opens, but if its at the end of april I think you should be fine. But then again this winter is said to be the worst weve had in years. Marc M. should know though.
I believe Amber opens March 1st. Hence my concern about ice.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Last year there was ice about 20 feet off of the launch with open water up to the right for several hundred yards. Several people in tubes were hammering them though. All this snow is a great big PITA, but the lake level will be up for months making launching my boat at Amber a piece of cake. It was hard towards the end of last fall. They could remove the barriers but then there would be too many boats. Love this lake!!:-" :-"

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 am

Yep, I'll be there....crowds or not! Most folks believe you have to pile into the south end with everyone else to be successful. True, that's a hot spot, but my early season experiences on Amber is that the fish can be caught anywhere the water is 10-12 feet or less. When they're feeding, you'll find them working the banks and shallows. This provides for lots of water and fishing opportunity for lots of fishermen. Amber and its' willing fish never cease to amaze me. Both can take the pressure and keep on going!

I believe the launch was iced in on the opener last year. But, by the 5th or 6th, it had thawed enough to launch and navigate to the only open water at the south end. We may get lucky this year, though. Despite the weather madness of the last few weeks, the long term forecast is showing sustained 40-plus degree temps, enough to give us hope!

C-ya there. Getcha blood worms ready!!!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:59 pm

reffensg64,
I hope you're right.
Lotech Joe
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Regardless of the temperature, you'll still have to dig Marc out of his 5' of snow. I'm guessing it'll be there for a while.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:57 pm

There is hope Ipod. It is down to 4 feet now:thumleft:

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:There is hope Ipod. It is down to 4 feet now:thumleft:
Marc,

This one is geared more toward you. I will be returning to Gonzaga in August of 2008 and taking a full-load of college credits but still want to fish. I have a nice 4 piece fly-rod along with a sub-par reel. I'm new to this area (fishing wise) and would love to learn how to fish Amber, 4th of July, Hog Canyon, Medical, Williams, Badger, etc. from a seasoned angler, and you seem to be the guy. Granted, I'm only 22 and have fished mainly Lake Washington and Pine Lake on the Plateau...a far cry from the tranquil and serene waters of Amber Lake. I'm interested in learning how to fly fish successfully and do well. I've trolled buggers and wets and done really well at Margaret and Pine, but that's not dry fly fishing. I know you're the guy to learn from, and perhaps you could help me out. I will go ahead a PM you when I get a chance to learn more about this fishery from someone who knows more about it than I'll ever know. I'd like to eventually be a fly only guy and pass this on to my some-day-to-be-kids. I think fly fishing is an art, an appreciable art, that is so genuine and peaceful. I do have a raft with an electric motor, and I've yet to purchase a fly tube. I think I may get one for my birthday - do you have any suggestions for a fly tube? What's all involved? I look forward to meeting you and getting to know more about this wonderful, sustainable catch and release fishery.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:02 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:
Marc,

This one is geared more toward you. I will be returning to Gonzaga in August of 2008 and taking a full-load of college credits but still want to fish
I needa learn the ropes of bass fishing here in northern california...Gotta be some good trout and bass lakes in the mountains all around me. It's spawning time for bass here...Temps hitting upper 60's in the days, water temp has to be up past 56 or 57 by now..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
kutthroatkilla wrote:
Marc,

This one is geared more toward you. I will be returning to Gonzaga in August of 2008 and taking a full-load of college credits but still want to fish
I needa learn the ropes of bass fishing here in northern california...Gotta be some good trout and bass lakes in the mountains all around me. It's spawning time for bass here...Temps hitting upper 60's in the days, water temp has to be up past 56 or 57 by now..
Sam,
I'm thinking you said that just to get our goat. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Here's wishing sunshine and tight lines for everyone. :sunny:
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe