Frozen Steering Cable - How to Fix It?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Frozen Steering Cable - How to Fix It?

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:59 am

OK, I just found that the steering rod/cable on my 35 Hp motor is frozen hard and I can't turn the motor.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Hoping to use the boat in a couple days...

Thanks!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Frozen Steering Cable - How to Fix It?

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:13 am

If its really bad you may need to start by removing the cable. That will allow you to flex it and work it in/out much easier.

I also hang the bad end vertically, then spray with a penetrating lube and let that soak in. Then raise the opposite end and spray it so the penetrating oil gets to both sides of the blockage. Then just work back and forth a bit at a time. It will eventually loosen up.

You might also want to treat the bad end with salt-a-way first and or some rust remover depending on what the corrosion looks like.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:14 am

I was able to remove the rod on mine with a lot of work.If I recall correct I drove it out with a rod and hammer, taking care not to mess up the threads.Then cleaned it out with a gun cleaning brush lubed it up and it worked fine. I also lubed it more ofter after that. I used white lithium grease.
On my search for repair I found that most people replace the cable.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:16 am

Of course, once it free and cleaned out as much as you can get it - re-lube with the good stuff :)

Sometimes they get so bad - frayed strands, etc - that its just better to replace the cable. West Marine may have one in stock that will work.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:45 am

I had one frozen so badly once that I ended up drilling a series of holes along the length of the housing and spraying (dribbling?) penetrating lube into the holes. After letting it sit for 24 hrs I was able to drive it out as per "hlindsay's" post.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:05 am

Mike, just replace it. if you screw around and make it work, it will only work for a short period and become a source of never ending pain and frustration. When you finally do replace it, make sure you grease the rod end by the OB almost every time you take it out. The grease keeps the water out of the cable. I've dealt with them on OB's and Jets, not worth the trouble of doing anything but replacing it, they are unserviceable.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:07 am

Penetrating oil as mentioned and some heat. Gravity and heat will help the oil creep. Temp fix at best as you have a leak somewhere allowing the water into the cable housing. If you need to use the boat now and have a paddle/oar, lash it to the side of the motor and use it as a tiller. Yes, it sounds and looks like redneck engineering, but if you are in a pinch, it does work.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:16 am

And be advised, the use of penetrating oil on some steering cables will permanently lock them up. If it has any kind of sleeve for lubrication, petro chems will only make it worse. Once it swells up, you're done.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:10 am

Buy new one and go fishing.

high country
Petty Officer

Post by high country » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:50 am

I made a device to lube all the cables on my jet boat. I have 3 sizes of cables on it. I spun up a fitting in my lathe that adapts a air coupler to a section of vinyl tube sized to match the cable sheath. I clamp the tube to the sheath and fill the tube with a few oz of ATF. I plug the coupler into a air regulator and add about 20psi and exercise the cable ( make sure your tube is long enough to allow this). After a minute of exercise there is oil at the far end and all is well.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:00 am

Mike, don't mess with it. Just replace it. They're reletivly inexpensive and pretty easy to change. Amazon Prime and you'll have it in a couple days.

Eric the boat guy
Petty Officer

Post by Eric the boat guy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:50 am

He's correct on the replacement. When I have these come into our shop we simply cut the cable off so it easily manageable and use a air hammer to drive the stuck ones out. Remember to us a long 5/8 drill bit to ream the tube and clean it before greasing and reinstalling the cable. Simple process and and well worth the time. Just make sure to unscrew the cable at the end of season and regressed the tube before it sits all winter.
If it ant broke don't fix it, otherwise pay the guy to do it right!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:00 am

rseas wrote:Mike, don't mess with it. Just replace it. They're reletivly inexpensive and pretty easy to change. Amazon Prime and you'll have it in a couple days.
X2 and make sure to look for the good ones with the Teflon lining. No lube for the life of the cable and if you keep the rod end greased, they should have a much longer life.

Making the old one go is just asking for a lot of pain in the future as it's going to go south and probably when you don't want it to. We did the relube thing on my buddies boat and you guessed it, the cable froze after a couple outings just as we pulled into the harbor at Everett. Needless to say it was exciting getting the boat to the dock so we could trailer it. When it was replaced RCA was done on the cable and it was found to be rusted about 3/4 of the way through and the little wires were poking the case making it almost impossible to steer. The next step would have been a broken cable and no steering. The cost of a new cable is no where near the cost of a broken steering cable.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:41 am

Gringo Pescador came by and we sledge hammered it free and cleaned it up. It's turning now, and should be good for my trip. Will likely replace afterward. Thanks everyone.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".