Know the laws, your guide may not

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
hewesbob
Lieutenant

Know the laws, your guide may not

Post by hewesbob » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:07 am

I am the last person to pick apart every aspect of anybody's report but there is a guide from Idaho working Lake Wenatchee right now. We meet the guy at the launch a couple days ago, seemed like a nice guy and had a boat load of fish for his clients. Last night he posted on facebook pictures of himself and clients holding a Chinook and another of them holding a Bull Trout. His comment said that his boat got limits of Sockeye and a bonus Chinook and Bull Trout. I commented that those fish can not be taken out of the water, a few minutes later he deleted the post. I guess I would just warn folks that if you are going out with a guide you should know the laws, don't trust that the guide does. This post is in no way down talking guides it is simply a reminder that we each need to be responsible fishermen and women and know the laws and protect the fisheries that we have left.

gfakkema
Commander

Re: Know the laws, your guide may not

Post by gfakkema » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:33 am

gfakkema wrote:This reminds me of the whole Swanny thing that happened last fall where some adipose fins were cut off in the boat to make it look like the fish were of hatchery origin. Of course the clients (major bait retailers/sponsors) claimed ignorance.
EVERYONE should know the rules and regs for the fishery that they are engaging in. There is absolutely no excuse for "not knowing".
I completely agree, everyone should know the laws/regs. The response I get every time I politely inform a poacher that the river is closed they claim they didn't know. But when they keep fishing after I leave it is clear that they know and have every intention of poaching. Where does fish and game hang out these days, I haven't seen them in the Gold Bar area for three years and I fish a fair amount?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:13 pm

i second striders notion. no sign of wildlife enforcement at all in the skykomish valley. ive fished there for more than 5 years now and have never seen a warden, but i see people breaking the law or even purposely poaching almost everytime i go out.
as far as swanny is concerned, he is a prime example of just how impotent wdfw is. all the evidense in the world, but yet what punishment has been made? as far as my knowledge takes me, there has been no punishment and he still opperates his guiding business!
i think people should have to take a simple 10 question quiz to get their fishing licenses, a guide should have a full length test on the fishing regs in order to get their licenses. sure some people would stop buyimg licenses, but those are most likely the very people doing most of the damage to our fisheries..
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:58 am

This kind of ignorance from fishing guides happens a lot!

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:52 pm

I think all the wardens are down here in MA11 and the Puyallup River. Got checked by a couple lady officers in a nice Boston Whaler yesterday. Checked last week by a different boat with 2 guys in it. The guys seem to show up at the boathouse every couple days, I see them on Ruston Way also watching Les Davis Pier with binoculars.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:37 pm

ive seen plenty of wardens in metropolitan areas.. hell i even got stopped at silver lake in everett this year... he looked at my catch but never even asked for my license.. the sad part is they have time to check fisheries like silver lake that dont need protecting, but leave the entire skykomish valley to the poachers.. its like the wild west out there, every man for himself.. the only "enforcement" i see on the sky is people like me who call people out blatantly. typically they keep fishing with no change in their behavior anyway... ive tried calling the wardens on poachers, they tell me they are on their way, and never show up...wdfw enforcement is a joke, they are all over them metropolitan fisheries because its convenient for them, hardly any effort put in for tickets handed out.
its a little off topic and i appologize for that, but since were talking about wardens i feel i needed to air that out.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:18 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:01 pm

gfakkema wrote:The ONLY time I ever get stopped is on the water in my boat. I feel that the reason for this is simple. That's where the money is. Think about how much money it takes just to own a boat, let alone fill it with gas, gear etc. They know that getting a poacher on the river will likely only result in maybe one or two violations per 10+ people checked because there is less to enforce (reg wise). Also, if they do get a poacher, they will likely fight in in court or simply not show up or not pay. Now, think about how many violations they can get with a boater. Boater licenses, safety equipment violations (life jackets, flares, horn, fire extinguisher), boat registrations, carbon monoxide stickers, right of way and navigation, etc. This doesn't include the actual fishing regs like barbless hooks and crabbing regs (salt), size and limit regs, etc. Not only is there more to enforce, but it's also more likely that any infraction will be paid in full and in a timely manner. It's simple, follow the money, and you will find the enforcement. I get stopped without fail every year on Baker Lake, Lake Washington, the salt and even Lake Chelan. I've never gotten a ticket or even so much as a warning because I diligently read, understand, and follow all applicable regs. Plus, how else do you expect them to pay for all those fancy boats, fuel and wages? I've been fishing the rivers for years and years and also have not seen a single LEO. Would I like to see at least one? Sure. Would they likely write tickets and make money, you bet. They just won't make near as much, and that is why we don't see them. Again, follow the money and you will find government employees.
I fear that you are right, it about the revenue not protecting the fishery. And as with all LE they have lost their way.
The second to last officer that checked me about 4 years ago was more worried why my friend gave me a fish when I only had one than even checking my license.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:19 pm

gfakkemma i agree with your logic, and i believe you are right. its really unfortunate and disheartening to see..

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:16 pm

the second to last time I was checked it went as followed. they're boat stayed about 75ft away.
"you fishing for salmon" i said yes.
"can you hold up your license?" i did.
"can i see your lifejacket?" i held up a wearable and throwable
"your using barbless hooks right?" said yes "you promise?" said yes
" you hear any rumors or see any fish caught?" i sent him to the clay banks, i was at quarter master.
hear they were busy over there.