Green river by BECU and 405?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
markosp32
Angler

Green river by BECU and 405?

Post by markosp32 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 am

I only places around BECU and 405 for now I usually go up farther later in the season when those areas open up. but I'm not asking for anyone's secret spots but just a good general area to go. no luck for me in 2 years.

mizm05
Commander

Re: Green river by BECU and 405?

Post by mizm05 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 am

It's still early for the coho run...they are coming.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Why not go anywhere along the area you mention? Tricky access in spots but also a few decent areas to gain access. The 112th st area has that big 'hole' especially on high tide to fish as another option potentially although a little closer to the salt (not much downstream from BECU).

Good luck [biggrin] , I'm hoping to start relearning some spots for coho on the Duw/Green now that Renton is home (used to fish it way way back but only sporadically hit it for pinks now).

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Last edited by c_saeteurn on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:26 pm

file was to big, had to crop
Attachments
cohogreen.jpg
cohogreen.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 9769 times

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:31 pm

funny how a week ago outdoor emporium had the shelf packed about 50 or so #1 nickleback frogs and about 30 - 40 50/50 #1 dick nites. I went today to try and get some and the shelf was bare :(

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm

c_saeteurn wrote:file was to big, had to crop
Nice job!

seattlesteban
Petty Officer

Post by seattlesteban » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 am

c_saeteurn wrote:dunno about slow. I wish I had more time to fish this morning.
got to the river around 615am. started fishing around 630.
Had to leave at 705 to get to work at 8. caught him around 650.
Lots of boils
The community Center next to the Allentown bridge is a great hole if you know how to fish it. The boeing plant hole is good also. Lots of them rolling there. Put your time and you might be rewarded.
i put in a decent amount of time in this area. There's below the bridge and above the bridge, which do you prefer? Am I right in that part of the secret is to drift eggs and hit it early in the AM?

For me it can be frustrating to fish the green as so much of it is a slow-moving ditch. Guess I need to check out the tides?

I'm in West Seattle. Someday I may make a breakthru on the green. i have eggs. losaturn and c_saeteurn, are you two related? ;P

markosp32
Angler

Post by markosp32 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:20 am

Thank you for the reply I went down behind Fort Dent today there were a few jumping but the tide was way down where I was at, Very muddy and slippery nothing really happening, It was a good rain last night so that will hopefully get them moving. Otherwise I am going to wait a week.

markosp32
Angler

Post by markosp32 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

c_saeteurn wrote:file was to big, had to crop
Beautiful fish by the way.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Was being lazy plunking yesterday and missed one. Saw lots of kings and a few coho. Gonna be down there everyday lol.

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:16 pm

I was wondering if you could help me out I have been using corkies of
different colors, I started out with pink, then orange then green, then I
started mixing them and just no luck, you don't have to give me your
secrets but just maybe a hint on what to use. if you don't mind.

corkies are used for flossing. If you wish to do so, then puyallup is your best bet.
The lower green is tidal. very mucky. lots of snags. easier to fish if your on a boat. Spinners work for some but not for me.
Slow retrieving a #1 or wee nickleback frog, or a 50/50 nickle and copper. if you haven't fished the river a lot and don't have a general idea on where the snags are, you will loose a lot of gear. dicknites are 2.99 a pop i believe.
If they're not taking gear, use bait. If thats not working, then twitch jigs.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 pm

c_saeteurn wrote:I was wondering if you could help me out I have been using corkies of
different colors, I started out with pink, then orange then green, then I
started mixing them and just no luck, you don't have to give me your
secrets but just maybe a hint on what to use. if you don't mind.

corkies are used for flossing. If you wish to do so, then puyallup is your best bet.
The lower green is tidal. very mucky. lots of snags. easier to fish if your on a boat. Spinners work for some but not for me.
Slow retrieving a #1 or wee nickleback frog, or a 50/50 nickle and copper. if you haven't fished the river a lot and don't have a general idea on where the snags are, you will loose a lot of gear. dicknites are 2.99 a pop i believe.
If they're not taking gear, use bait. If thats not working, then twitch jigs.
Should have stocked up early. All the stores I went to were out of the popular colors. Caught a few on them this morning.

seattlesteban
Petty Officer

Post by seattlesteban » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 am

the turns - thank you for posting the reports. It gives me hope.

ONE QUESTION FOR THE GREEN RIVER EGG FISHING GODS: Under a float or free drifted?

Thread sum up:

- Fish incoming/outgoing tide
- dick nites slowly retrieved (google how to set them up)
- eggs
- twitchin' jigs

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Float fishing, free drift and plunking are all effective and we've caught fish using all of those methods.
Float fishing = less chance of snagging up
Free drift = on the bottom drifting with the current, higher chance of snagging up
Plunking eggs = 4 oz lead, plunk the travel lanes. cast, stick your rod in a rod holder, wait. not likely to snag up.

Float fishing - you can cast further, always mending your line. ect

free drift - you cant cast to far, just waiting for a bite

plunking - lazy mans fishing, bring a chair, relax

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:32 pm

I catch far more fish on the duwamish drifting a small cluster of eggs with enough weight to be near bottom then plunking. Although when it's early like now I like to plunk I don't waste half as many eggs. Went yesterday it was completely dead. Nets must have been thick. Not sure of the schedule haven't checked.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Second hand account, but I heard the nets go in Sunday at noon and are in until Thursday. The fishing has been the best I've seen it this early in the season. Having said that, the hatchery always has a surplus of fish. I've caught fish in spite of the nets.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Really, nobody I know has got one yet. I've been fishing Allen town for years and usually have one by now. I'll try again tomorrow lol. Yesterday was so dead after 4 hours I decided to go fly fishing at rattlesnake instead ha. Got video of a helicopter rescue

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:14 am

I've been hitting the area just above 405 on Interurban (before BECU) and there are jumpers and rollers everywhere, but no takers yet. I've thrown eggs, spoons, spinners and plugs....and not even a bump yet. Same story for all the other guys I talk to at this particular hole, which is known to be a good hole. Not sure what the heck those dang fish want! LOL

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 am

mizm05 wrote:I've been hitting the area just above 405 on Interurban (before BECU) and there are jumpers and rollers everywhere, but no takers yet. I've thrown eggs, spoons, spinners and plugs....and not even a bump yet. Same story for all the other guys I talk to at this particular hole, which is known to be a good hole. Not sure what the heck those dang fish want! LOL
I assume you mean I-5, not 405?