Fishing the Puyallup

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cruznmarine
Angler

Fishing the Puyallup

Post by cruznmarine » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Hey everybody,
Time to bust out the G-Loomis. Haven't been fishing in years, but going to start it back up again. Honestly just checking to see what is even running their now. Been seeing more guys out on the river at the Puyallup river bridge and girrfriend wants to start fishing!! Bout time... [thumbsup]
Anyway, any pointers on what you guys are using out there? Barbless? What is running?
Thanks,
B

mizm05
Commander

Re: Fishing the Puyallup

Post by mizm05 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Standard cork and yarn...contrasting colors. I haven't seen or heard of much action just yet...waiting for rain.

When you get your license, you'll get a regulation book. All the rules are listed in there. It's also on the WDFW website.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:36 am

Apparently the silt is only the top layer of water.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 am

I've never fished the puyallup but I drove over a week ago when I went to buy my boat and it was pure mud! Is the river always like that?

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Just until it freezes. Will see it clear up starting in late Oct as the freezing level drops down.

toxicavengr
Petty Officer

Post by toxicavengr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 pm

mizm05 wrote:Apparently the silt is only the top layer of water.
Ok no! ... this is wrong and I (STILL) have waaaay to much student loan debt to back up my opinion LOL

toxicavengr
Petty Officer

Post by toxicavengr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:46 pm

primetime wrote:I've never fished the puyallup but I drove over a week ago when I went to buy my boat and it was pure mud! Is the river always like that?
Yes always! They don't call it "The Puke" for nuthin! :pirat:

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Why does anyone fish it then? Can't imagine any fish willingly finding your bait. River must be a snag fest if people are actually catching fish! There a clay slide or something up there?

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 pm

It's mostly a floss fest. People swear the fish can see the corky on the end of a 6 foot leader. Oddly enough the longer the leader the better the fish can see it LOL
it will start to clear up once the nights get cold and it starts freezing up on the glaciers. By then the kings are usually gone but the silvers will be in.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 am

It's a floss fest for sure as soon as it rains my silver hole will be ready :) I'm really waiting for the first, hitting duwami for sure.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:15 am

As others have mentioned, the river clears up when the temps drop and the glacier freezes again. The silt is from glacial run off in the warmer months. Will try to find the website where I saw the comment about the bottom layer of water being more clear. I'll have to just stick my waterproof camera under the water and see what I find.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am

I'm sure you know better than I do...I'm a simple man. LOL

toxicavengr
Petty Officer

Post by toxicavengr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Springer Jerry wrote:
mizm05 wrote:As others have mentioned, the river clears up when the temps drop and the glacier freezes again. The silt is from glacial run off in the warmer months. Will try to find the website where I saw the comment about the bottom layer of water being more clear. I'll have to just stick my waterproof camera under the water and see what I find.
Miz that's is scientifically impossible. All rivers have more turbidity towards the bottom. Dirt and silt does not float.

this may help a little....http://water.usgs.gov/edu/turbidity.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[urlhttp://water.usgs.gov/edu/turbidity.html][/url]

countrybarbiesb
Angler

Post by countrybarbiesb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 am

Went out last weekend hooked a nice 10-15LB king. Seen about 10 other people hooking kings and some smaller silvers pulled out. Used pink/purple corky & purple yarn. Need more rain.

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:27 pm

There are some fish being pulled in but not in great numbers, if you work "hard" you may be able to find a few Be prepared to be fishing with people. Like others have stated the water is murky and does not clear up until later. I talked to a few others and apparently the run is just starting.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:15 pm

You are definitely going to have company...almost thought it was pink season for a minute this afternoon! LOL