WDFW Fall Walleye Surveys in Washington

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: WDFW Fall Walleye Surveys in Washington

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:08 am

zen leecher wrote:39/300 is the proportion of the sample taken for adult females. That percentage times 120,000 to 200,000 is the approximate number of total adult females.

Mike S quoted, "I don't have the 2012 data entered yet but in 2011 only 39 mature females were collected during FWIN, the remainder were small, immature fish".

The 39/300 ratio would be for 2011. Even so, 39 is 13% of 300. 13% of 120,000 - 200,000. Is 15,600 - 26,000 est. adult female walleye?

That is a considerable number of fish eggs and fry.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 pm

I will admit that I was not aware of the "Northern Crawfish". I knew that we had the native Signal Craws in Washington, and some blues, and some Rustys in the Columbia....

So, what are the negatives of the Northern Crawfish? I find that any water that has the signal craws in it produces better trout, bass, and walleye. I know that Rustys are diggers and can cause ditch and dike dammage, but ....

Any information about the Northern Crawfish?

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:06 am

In 2011 only 39 adult females were caught in the FWIN?
or is that 39 adult females per every 300 fish?

Mike Schmuck
Petty Officer

Post by Mike Schmuck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

YB,

Sorry. This was on Moses Lake only in 2011.

Mike

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 pm

YellowBear wrote:In 2011 only 39 adult females were caught in the FWIN?
or is that 39 adult females per every 300 fish?
YB. It would be my understanding of the post by Mike S. That 39 adult female Walleye, for every 300 walleye netted, in 2011. Numbers not yet available for 2012. And, per Mike S latest post to you, this was for Moses lake only.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 am

My first numbers were very concervitive.

Lets say each female had 100,000 eggs x 39 = 3,900,000 x 6 nettings = 23,400,000.
As 75% of these would never reach maturity we end up with 5,850,000 fish per year.
With angler harvest, pouching, preditors like the Cormorant and Pelican and the FWIN we loose a lot of fish.

Mike S. Thanks for your time.
Mike C. Thanks for a place to vent.

TerryBullard
Petty Officer

Post by TerryBullard » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:30 am

Anglinarcher wrote:I will admit that I was not aware of the "Northern Crawfish". I knew that we had the native Signal Craws in Washington, and some blues, and some Rustys in the Columbia....

So, what are the negatives of the Northern Crawfish? I find that any water that has the signal craws in it produces better trout, bass, and walleye. I know that Rustys are diggers and can cause ditch and dike dammage, but ....

Any information about the Northern Crawfish?
Consider this quote. I'm hoping my replies get through this time..

----
The Northern Crayfish (Orconectes virilis), also called the Virile Crayfish, is an invasive species in Arizona that resides under stones in lakes, streams, and wetlands. They eat small fish, tadpoles, plants, invertebrates, and larval fish. Populations of the very prolific crayfish have exploded in Arizona due to no natural predator. Their nearly insatiable appetite is causing great harm to Arizona aquatic ecosystems and threatening native fish populations. In fact, the Arizona Invasive Species Advisory Council (AISAC) has the Northern Crayfish on its top ten most harmful invasive species list. The crayfish are being dispersed into the waterways when fishermen use them as bait. It is the people who love and use the water most that are causing the destruction of its ecosystems.
---
Terry Bullard
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
Everyone is Doing It!
Are You?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Interesting. I know that Arizona has few native fish that would be predators, but the introduced species would feed on them quite well. Nevertheless, this quote causes some concern. Where is this source from?

TerryBullard
Petty Officer

Post by TerryBullard » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 am

Anglinarcher wrote:Interesting. I know that Arizona has few native fish that would be predators, but the introduced species would feed on them quite well. Nevertheless, this quote causes some concern. Where is this source from?

http://sites.duke.edu/writing20_12_f201 ... -crayfish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AZ top 10 are found at http://az.gov/invasivespecies/tenmostunwanted.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is impossible for anyone to envision how dense populations of crawfish can get, even for long time commercial crawfish trappers like myself.
Terry Bullard
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
Everyone is Doing It!
Are You?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:55 pm

The bad news is that they are here to stay. Other then a complete and strong poison that kills off all crayfish and all fish in general, including the springs, inlets, outlets, etc., they are, well, ........ here to stay. That is why we still have carp in the US. The same is true for Millfoil, for Spurge, and for so many other species that are in the US now.

The spread can be slowed, but it is not possible to stop it.

The good news is that almost never is it as bad, in the long run, as we are told. Zebras and Quaga have cleaned up a lot of the great lakes reigion. The water is cleaner then it has been in many many years. Yes, they plug up things and cling on to things (copper or silver plated screens prevent it), and we will need to change how we do things, but for every dark cloud there is a silver lining.

Crayfish/Crawfish that are not native compete with native crayfish, and they will impact the environment. They will eat vegetation, larva, etc. The flip side is that our signal crawfish are not overly prolific so this means that the walleye, bass, and trout will have a lot of new food to enjoy. Perhaps this silver lining is not what we would want of this dark cloud, but it is a silver lining.

It is always sad to see a new invasive, but I personally will try to be optomistic and look for this silver lining. Fish LOVE crawfish. Bass grow faster on Crawfish then they do on Bluegills, Shad, Shinners, etc. Rainbows and Walleye do as well.

Only time will tell for sure.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 am

Anglinarcher...your cup is truly half full!!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Augwen wrote:Anglinarcher...your cup is truly half full!!!
Either that or I am faking it well. ](*,)

KNM
Angler

Post by KNM » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am

Thank you very much for posting this information Mike S.

How would I go about volunteering for next year's surveys or even this year if your still doing it. You can PM me the information.

Thanks,
Stay Safe!

Mike Schmuck
Petty Officer

Post by Mike Schmuck » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 am

To those that message me: I am unsure how to reply to those, so if you would like to email me with information about volunteering or with fish management questions please email me at Schmumrs@dfw.wa.gov

BTW, we are currently doing a creel survey on Moses Lake. In the fall folks were catching good size perch near the city park launch. Lately it seems it has been slow fishing.

The 2012 FWIN survey report is in the review process. It should be available soon.

I can tell you this, walleye abundance was up in Banks, Potholes, Moses Lake and Scooteney; it was down in FDR.

I will post a link to the report here as soon as I can.

redlinezo6
Angler

Post by redlinezo6 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Awesome info Mike!

Any idea when the walleye will start to spawn?

I'm wondering how early you can catch them moving up into the shallower areas in Moses.

Mike Schmuck
Petty Officer

Post by Mike Schmuck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 am

Typically in April. They make a big push up the Alder St. Fill on Moses Lake in early April but I think late March would be a more productive time. There is a lot of forage in the lake (Mostly perch) so they my be finicky.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Mike.
You mentioned the numbers are up for Scootney, Moses, Potholes and Banks but that the numbers are down in FDR.
Maybe you could tell us why the commission chose to raise the limits for Walleye in FDR from 8 to 16.

Thanks for your time.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:13 am

They also have opened the Spokane Arm for year round fishing for Walleye. If the numbers are down, would it not be better to keep it closed during spawn? Thanx for all the info that you have given us.

afk
Petty Officer

Post by afk » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:08 am

Mike S., I'm very appreciative of your information. I also am curious about the reasoning of the limit change on Roosie.
Thank you in advance, Andy

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:51 am

My guess on why regulations may have changed on Roosevelt (if they have. I have not read the latest regs yet) is that the WDFW is more than likely getting pressure from the Tribe about walleyes feeding on the Kookanee population. This is eveidenced by the fact that the tribe put a bounty on walleyes that would be paid to their tribal members last year during the time that all "Non Tribal Members" were not allowed to fish in the Spokane arm. If I am remembering right, their opinion was that walleyes were doing damage to the native kokanee population, so they were doing their part to help reduce the walleye population, by having tribal members go out and catch walleyes during the prime spawning period. I would venture to say the Spokane Tribe is leaning on the state to reduce walleyes in Roosevelt. They have more than likely learned a few things about applying pressure and getting their way by watching the Kalispels in their successfull annihialation of a certain fishery on the PendOrielle River. You never know. The next thing you "Might" see is a grant from the BPA to euthanize walleyes in Roosevelt.
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I'm just pointing out the similarities in the two situations. If I am inaccurate with my comments, I apologize. I don't wish to offend anyone.

Happy Fishing