What is a dink?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JS
Petty Officer

What is a dink?

Post by JS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:38 am

First I will say that i know the commonly used term "dink" is applied to a small fish. That being said, what do all of you consider a dink? I know that in my lifetime of bass fishing, a "dink" has changed in size as my experience and catch rate/size of fish caught has increased.

Many days i go fishing and i am happy to catch any size bass. I just have a passion for the sport and catching fish of all sizes is fun for me.

Now of course we all like to catch the big girls, and sometimes i find myself "weeding" through the smaller fish to get to the bigger ones. When i say "weeding", i mean catching them and throwing them back so quickly, that i forget to enjoy the fact that i just caught a fish.

This is why i pose the question. "What is a dink?":-k I am curious as to what others "weed" through to get to what they think is a big fish.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

RE:What is a dink?

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:58 am

For me it's any thing under 2 lbs. I call dinks, but thats me. I don't fish for the dinks that why I don't catch that many. I like em big,the lures that is.
Last edited by The HAWG HUNTER on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:31 am

I consider a dink as anything under 2lbs
Last edited by fishingmachine on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 am

Dinks are what I catch:-"
I considering a dink approx. 2 pounds or less. Nothing official,just an rough estimate

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:27 am

dink = 8" or 10" and under, depending on the time of year, weather, and how I feel at any given time.

pounder = anything close to, below or above, 1 pound

decent fish = 2 pounds

ok fish = 3 pounds

big fish = 4 pounds

great fish = 5 pounds

BIIIGG FISH = 6 and over
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 pm

I agree with Amx, under a pound or 12".

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Post by yooper_fisher » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:39 pm

As I don't fish bass (yet) I tend to consider anything 8" or smaller a dink. Anything over 12" I consider a good fish, and the one 18" smallie I got years ago I consider a hog!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Agree with Mike and AMX
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Years ago, when I was in a bass club, we considered anything under 12 inches a dink and they didn't count in any of our tournaments. For me any bass over 12 inches is indeed a pleasure to catch.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:19 pm

I had a few pleasures this morning, and some dinks too, but they were even fun. The biggest today was 2 lb 11 oz and the barb wasn't even sunk into the flesh, the hook fell out after I neted the fish and got him into the boat. No more dropshot or rattletrap rods for that lure, I'll be getting my new crankbait rod tomorrow. :cheers:
Tom.

Interests: living

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:22 pm

IMO, if your fish is smaller then my fish, then its a dink ! :bball:

Serious note, anything under 10 inches !
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 pm

If it's too small to make it in your 5 bag, it's a dink. So basically under 12". Not to say that most people want to put 12" fish in the well, but there are those days that it takes a 12" fish to make your 5.....Second day of our Moses tourney my bag was- 6.2, 4.4, 3.2, 2+,and a 12 1/4" fish....couldn't cull that one. But those few ounces moved me up a couple of spots.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Dinks aka shortfish (under 12" Bass) [confused]
Cookie Cutters (5 fish all the same size ) [glare]
Nice one (3lbs or better)[cool]
Toads (5lbs or better) :fish: :thumleft:
Monsters aka Tag watson bass (6lbs or better):cheers:
Tourney fish (2lbs thru 2.5lbs):)
AWWWWW MANNN DID YOU SEE THAT (The big one that got away)#-o

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Sounguru
Petty Officer

Post by Sounguru » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Too my 6 year old nothing is a dink they are all big to him... :-)

Funny thing is the more I fish with him the more I start to see it the same way... also the size ratio has changed major since moving to WaRshington. Used to be anything under 3 was a meh whatever fish.

Washington Size Slide rule...
Under 12" - Thanking the wife for letting me out
Over 12" under 2lbs - Praising the boat gods for letting me reach that spot
Over 2lbs thru 4lbs - Dancing a jig to the fishing gods and hoping no one is looking
Over 4lbs thru 6lbs - Not caring if anyone is looking while I'm dancing the jig
Over 6 lbs - I'm on my knees after doing all the 4 above and thanking God for allowing me to be in the presence this wonderful fish
Breaking the state record - Will never happen I'm old enough it will probably give me a heart attack

JS
Petty Officer

Post by JS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 am

Thank you everyone for the great responses so far.:thumleft: Always nice to get opinions/input from some of the best anglers in the area. =d>

gregcissell
Angler

Post by gregcissell » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:09 am

New to the forum and new to the area, but a dink bass back home is anything under 16" (have to throw it back). In Southeastern VA it's not uncommon to catch several 5lb fish in a day. Needless to say, I'm just happy to catch anything over 2lbs out here. I consider brim under 10" and crappie under 12" to be dinks, as well. The fish may not be as big out here, but it sure is a lot prettier (rain not included).

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:45 am

Dinks are fun to catch, but Hawgs;:-k need I say more! Dinks are easy to get and great for the kids. When your buddy's in the boat[sneaky] ? Every one always wants to get the pigone[biggrin] ! To get this fish you must fish for it.:scratch:
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:59 am

The HAWG HUNTER wrote: Dinks are fun to catch, but Hawgs;:-k need I say more! Dinks are easy to get and great for the kids. When your buddy's in the boat[sneaky] ? Every one always wants to get the pigone[biggrin] ! To get this fish you must fish for it.:scratch:
Not that you need my opinion to validate your post but I completly agree with youngsters catching dinks. My greatests joys are taking my son,nieces and nephews
out bass'n (and panfish) Its a blast getting them over fish. They don't care about size and the benefits are endless. Quality time,gets them off the couch and promotes the fishery and sport, etc,etc.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:07 am

Well put, Kevin. All people need is to catch fish to keep them into it. I love watching that.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;