Potholes Kicking Out Some Good Fish

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
basspro
Warrant Officer

Potholes Kicking Out Some Good Fish

Post by basspro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Went to Potholes this last weekend to do some demo rides in the Phoenix. Saturday was brutal due to high winds of up to 25 MPH+ spent some time on the water fishing with no takers. Sunday was a different story. Winds down around 5-7 mph. Bagged about 16 lbs for best 5 smallies. Biggest two were 4-13 and 4-6.

Largies were hard to find and hard to catch. Just saw 7 largies in one bay but no takers.

Russ

bazzdude
Petty Officer

RE:Potholes Kicking Out Some Good Fish

Post by bazzdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:54 am

hey good report, i am heading over there in a few weeks for some hike in trout fishing with my bro and dad in the piller and widgen chain.But i want to hit long lake(seep lakes) for some of the smallmouth action then as well. I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me like does time of day matter this time of the year. And what types of tackle should i focus on and at what depth> Thanks

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Bazzdude,

Burning medium diving crank baits in spring craw patterns should catch you some nice smallies. Largies are moving into shallow water now- spinnerbaits, jigs, senkos will work well in 5-10 feet. Warm sunny days bring those largies up shallow-sometime now you can get in less than 2 feet of water.

Will be making the trip over to the Potholes Open this week.

Russ
Limit Out Performance Marine, Inc.
Phoenix Bass Boats

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:19 am

Hey thanks for the info. Let me know how you do this weekend in the open/I will be there but not fishing the open. I am poundering wither to hit long lake for smallies or hutchinson(seep lakes) for the largies. What are you thoughs on that subject. Good luck man and catch the big one. :)

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:32 am

Sounds like I need to demo a Phoenix at Potholes soon:-"
Nice job and thanks for the report.
You going to be at Silver this weekend for WB?

bass2elk
Petty Officer

Post by bass2elk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:52 pm

What were the water temps?