Low pressure launching experience for a rookie?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
rjn cajun
Captain

RE:Low pressure launching experience for a rookie?

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:39 am

reigndawgs wrote:Well all plans went down the drain for practice when my wife got on my case and had get my kids out of the house. So I went directly to Lake Sammamish, not a sould around hardly. I parked my rig, went up to a nice looking group of guys chatting and said "Can you please help me? I've never backed up a trailer before and I just bought this boat." The guy was super nice and he helped my get my first launch and retrieval under my belt. Of course, I couldn't get the outboard started and we never left the dock, but I'm pretty sure I have that issue resolved now. But hey, it was a start. I still plan on practicing before my next launch but my kids were on my case because I promised to take them out and my wife was going to kill them if I didn't get them out of the house. I will keep you all posted on the next one.
Good stuff congrats on the new boat and your first launch.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm

rjn cajun wrote:
reigndawgs wrote:Well all plans went down the drain for practice when my wife got on my case and had get my kids out of the house. So I went directly to Lake Sammamish, not a sould around hardly. I parked my rig, went up to a nice looking group of guys chatting and said "Can you please help me? I've never backed up a trailer before and I just bought this boat." The guy was super nice and he helped my get my first launch and retrieval under my belt. Of course, I couldn't get the outboard started and we never left the dock, but I'm pretty sure I have that issue resolved now. But hey, it was a start. I still plan on practicing before my next launch but my kids were on my case because I promised to take them out and my wife was going to kill them if I didn't get them out of the house. I will keep you all posted on the next one.
Good stuff congrats on the new boat and your first launch.
Thanks man.:)

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Darn, that figures about the motor problems. Right when you are ready to go out the darn thing doesn't work... happens oh too often, lol. When I bought my very first boat the retaining pin that held the front support wheel on the trailer in the up position flew off and popped my drivers side tire on the way to the lake for our maiden voyage. Turned out the lug wrench for the truck didn't fit the lugs for the trailer, we had to call it a day after leaving the boat behind, going into town for the lug wrench, and coming back to change the tire before dark.

Murphy's law I suppose.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Seems to work that way. While I was cranking away on it I think I flooded it and some gas got into the water. My son is talking about the pretty rainbows it made while some couple had to feed the ducks on the launch dock 5 feet away from me and give me dirty looks while I cursed my motor with my 2 little kids in the boat. It was all I could do to avoid a confrontation, but I did. Confrontation and me are a bad mix right now so I'm proud of myself for just keeping it together and I'm ready to attack the siutaion too with a good outlook. At the very worst, I am learning about outboards, which I always wanted to do. :)

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I took my boat out four times before I put my son in it. Somebody probably should have told you no kids until boats ready. First trip was dead batteries. The rest were for learning everything I needed to about my boat
Last edited by tnj8222 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:11 pm

tnj8222 wrote:I took my boat out four times before I put my son in it. Somebody probably should have told you no kids until boats ready. First trip was dead batteries. The rest were for learning everything I needed to about my boat

Excellent advice! Probably should include wife/girlfriend along with the kids.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Brave man taking the kids on a first try! I also know about the the other half being on the war path! Pack 'em up and get 'em out while you can!!!!

OK so you've done it once, almost successfully. Now is the time to start your checklist. In order of the way you need to do things for putting the boat in the water.

1. Stop at ramp.
2. Pay launch fee.
3. Take straps off.
4. Put the plug in.

When you get it all fleshed out, have it laminated. Carry it with you and do them one at a time, everytime.
You may think I'm nuts but it's a hold over from being a pilot. Trust me on this one, it will save you.
You can carry it over to starting procedure for the motor.
Last edited by Bodofish on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 pm

2] NEVER pay launch fee first. Launch the boat, make sure it runs, THEN pay. You might have to leave without going out if the motor won't start.

If the motor doesn't start, then you've just wasted $5 to $15 dollars.
Last edited by Amx on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Amx wrote:2] NEVER pay launch fee first. Launch the boat, make sure it runs, THEN pay. You might have to leave without going out if the motor won't start.

If the motor doesn't start, then you've just wasted $5 to $15 dollars.

Please disregard this as many launches state you must pay first. Just try and launch in Everett. Magnuson Park, the list goes on.....

Ultimately do what you want but be warned.....

PS Best to make sure the motor runs before you drive to the launch.
Last edited by Bodofish on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Bodofish wrote:Brave man taking the kids on a first try! I also know about the the other half being on the war path! Pack 'em up and get 'em out while you can!!!!

OK so you've done it once, almost successfully. Now is the time to start your checklist. In order of the way you need to do things for putting the boat in the water.

1. Stop at ramp.
2. Pay launch fee.
3. Take straps off.
4. Put the plug in.

When you get it all fleshed out, have it laminated. Carry it with you and do them one at a time, everytime.
You may think I'm nuts but it's a hold over from being a pilot. Trust me on this one, it will save you.
You can carry it over to starting procedure for the motor.
I forgot to take the straps off before. Wtf my boat is stuck on trailer... Big time doh! Haha. Will a bass boat float a trailer?....... Yup lol
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Hehehe yeah did that once myself. boat trailer started to go sideways in the river. Pulled it out quick!!!!! DOH!!!!!! Hense the checklist!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 pm

tnj8222 wrote: I forgot to take the straps off before. Wtf my boat is stuck on trailer... Big time doh! Haha. Will a bass boat float a trailer?....... Yup lol
I have been guilty of that myself. My favorite though, and it's happened a few times, is when the boat freezes to the bunks. First time it happened caused me a great deal of confusion, I couldn't believe that the ice bond wold be strong enough to float the trailer!

Mud Duck
Petty Officer

Post by Mud Duck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 am

[quote="Bodofish"]Brave man taking the kids on a first try! I also know about the the other half being on the war path! Pack 'em up and get 'em out while you can!!!!

1. Stop at ramp.
2. Pay launch fee.
3. Take straps off.
4. Put the plug in.

quote] And don't forget the boat ignition keys at home...#-o I did that before in the Elliott Bay fishery one weekend,waited in the long 3 block long line,paid launch fee,launched and parked my van and trailer, ran down to my boat as fast as I could(long lines at launch).... Oh s--- no boat ignition keys so I go get the van and trailer load the boat back on and drive home, grab keys,drive back to west seattle and wait in that long line again. About 1½ hour wasted cause I forgot my keys on the kitchen counter #-o
Last edited by Mud Duck on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:58 am

I don't even take my keys out of the ignition. I dunno if that is a "horrible idea" but I just never do, can't leave them at home then.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 am

I also have a boat key on each vehicle's key ring. And a key hidden in the boat.
Tom.

Interests: living

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 am

Matt wrote:I don't even take my keys out of the ignition. I dunno if that is a "horrible idea" but I just never do, can't leave them at home then.
same here. Good luck getting it out of the driveway before my paratrooper greets you haha.
Anthony

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 pm

does anyone unplug their trailer lights before bk'n in the water?....

now the MOST IMPORTANT thing on your "list" ...rrrrright before you get in the truck to bk 'er in.....walk around 1 more time give it 1 more look see ...make SURE the boat/trlailer are ready and that you've got all gear/food/beverages ect.... and calm down...DONT HURRY....DOG

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

'OL GREY DOG wrote:does anyone unplug their trailer lights before bk'n in the water?....

now the MOST IMPORTANT thing on your "list" ...rrrrright before you get in the truck to bk 'er in.....walk around 1 more time give it 1 more look see ...make SURE the boat/trlailer are ready and that you've got all gear/food/beverages ect.... and calm down...DONT HURRY....DOG
i have sealed led lights but I still unplug.
Anthony

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 pm

[quote="'OL GREY DOG"]does anyone unplug their trailer lights before bk'n in the water?....

If you have to do this then i think you have grounding issues..I had it once just took a simple recrimping of the wire on the trailer.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 pm

me too