Cowlitz Help

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kzoo
Commodore

Cowlitz Help

Post by kzoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Thinking of going to the Cowlitz this weekend with a buddy. Neither of us have ever been there. Was wondering if it's worth the trip for a couple of bankees. Looking for advice of what to use and where to go. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

RE:Cowlitz Help

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:27 pm

I have only been there once.
I fished at Barrier. If you want your drift to be short, like it would be
in the Puyallup, bring heavier led, thats a mistake I made when i went there,
i wasnt prepared for the fast moving water that the Cow presented.
I saw a winter run caught on eggs while I was there.
Im not the best resource for the Cowlitz, but thats what I learned while I was there.
If I was you, I would PM jens, or 'pooh, they have both brought alot of steel out of those waters.
Im sure they can give you good info.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I have only been there once.
Im not the best resource for the Cowlitz, but thats what I learned while I was there.
If I was you, I would PM jens, or 'pooh, they have both brought alot of steel out of those waters.
It's a start. Thanks. Look me up when you get back to Washington in the summer. I'll take you out for some smallies.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Barrier is harder to fish from the shore, but puts out some fish. When the water gets high throw around the brush piles with a float. Blue creeks is a popular spot and has a good amount of bank access. Drift fish or throw bobbers with bait. Corkies and yarn work well as well as "glowballing". Try throwing glowing corkies and yarn the first hour before sunrise.

It is definately worthwhile for a bankie, when the water level gets high the bank anglers often outproduce the boat guys.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:01 pm

kzoo wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I have only been there once.
It's a start. Thanks. Look me up when you get back to Washington in the summer. I'll take you out for some smallies.
Sounds good to me, see you then ! [thumbsup]
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Matt wrote: It is definately worthwhile for a bankie, when the water level gets high the bank anglers often outproduce the boat guys.
Very interesting! Considering some rain coming. Thanks Matt. Really appreciate the advice.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Also consider that the cow is dam regulated so rain or no rain the levels can fluctuate by THOUSANDS of cfs overnight and it often fluctuates. Keep your eyes on those gauges.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Matt wrote:Also consider that the cow is dam regulated so rain or no rain the levels can fluctuate by THOUSANDS of cfs overnight and it often fluctuates. Keep your eyes on those gauges.
Good point, which gauge? There's several on the USGS for the Cowlitz.

FISHJAK
Angler

Post by FISHJAK » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:40 am

Paul-

You always want to check out the flow for "Cowlitz below Mayfield Dam" check out the link below. Since it's flowing at about 6 ish.....that is very good flow for wading by barrier in my opinion and the other known spot is BC. I haven't been down there in a very long time but that is a good flow right now, but clarity is unknown. At Barrier you don't have to cast very far either there are many "money slots" that these fish run or hold at, just add bait and you'll be good to go. I'm probably heading somewhere else this weekend, don't like to go there till summer, but good luck [thumbsup]

Cowlitz below Mayfield

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:58 am

Matt wrote:Barrier is harder to fish from the shore, but puts out some fish. When the water gets high throw around the brush piles with a float. Blue creeks is a popular spot and has a good amount of bank access. Drift fish or throw bobbers with bait. Corkies and yarn work well as well as "glowballing". Try throwing glowing corkies and yarn the first hour before sunrise.

It is definately worthwhile for a bankie, when the water level gets high the bank anglers often outproduce the boat guys.
Have you ever fished here???? Not sure where you are getting your info from. Apples and Oranges with Barrier and Blue Creek. What bush piles you speak of at Barrier?? You'd have to cast about 200 yards at Barrier to get to the bush piles that I know of.

Kzoo check your inbox.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 am

Also check Tacoma Power's website it has good info on whats going on in their power grid/dam network.

http://www.mytpu.org/tacomapower/parks- ... report.htm
Life's short - fish hard!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

jens wrote:
Matt wrote:Barrier is harder to fish from the shore, but puts out some fish. When the water gets high throw around the brush piles with a float. Blue creeks is a popular spot and has a good amount of bank access. Drift fish or throw bobbers with bait. Corkies and yarn work well as well as "glowballing". Try throwing glowing corkies and yarn the first hour before sunrise.

Have you ever fished here???? Not sure where you are getting your info from. Apples and Oranges with Barrier and Blue Creek. What bush piles you speak of at Barrier?? You'd have to cast about 200 yards at Barrier to get to the bush piles that I know of.

Kzoo check your inbox.
I pulled a 6lb buck out of the brush at barrier 2 weeks ago. It was running at 9,000 cfs and 2 buddies and I were the only ones fishing there...... I never compared Barrier to BC so I don't know where you got that idea either.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Don't talk to me like that Matt, I am not one of your kids. I don't appreciate your condescending GREAT ABILITY TO HIGHLIGHT WORDS. YOU ARE THE BEST! Your advice runs with Barrier and Blue Creek, 2 different locations that require different tactics.

What we say down South is pic or it didn't happen. Maybe I'll see you on the Mighty Cow Saturday, what color is your sled? A few of us would love to say hello 8-[ 8-[ .
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I dont know anything about the cow. I wish I did. It sounds like a place that some people catch fish. I sure wish I could catch fish. Maybe Ill try there someday and stop fishing the green river.
More fish please!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I didn't talk to you in any "way". You know what my boat looks like.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 pm

I can tell ya this though. Depends on the fish really. What routes they are deciding to take up river. Usually lower the water more towards the deep channels and the middle of the river. High water they choose the shallows and hang close to shore. This has been an odd year since the first of jan. The fish are not acting the way Id expect them to act. Its been really tough for bankers and easy for boats. Both in high water and low. In my oppinion if your fishing from bank fish night. Glowballin from bank will always out produce bank in the daylight. When I learn how to do it Ill let yall know more. I have to go sit back and practice with my baitcaster now. Im trying to figure these lil knobs out.
More fish please!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Last thing I wanted was to have any conflicts here ](*,) , we're all after one thing here, the chrome!

Once again, thanks for everyone providing advice :salut: .
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

jens wrote:Don't talk to me like that Matt, I am not one of your kids. I don't appreciate your condescending GREAT ABILITY TO HIGHLIGHT WORDS. YOU ARE THE BEST! Your advice runs with Barrier and Blue Creek, 2 different locations that require different tactics.

What we say down South is pic or it didn't happen. Maybe I'll see you on the Mighty Cow Saturday, what color is your sled? A few of us would love to say hello 8-[ 8-[ .
Dude?? Seriously?? Matt was just offering his opinion and advice. You jumped on him. And the whole "whats your boat look like" threat.... Please...Ill be with Matt Sat. Perhaps you can say hi to us both.

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 pm

I mean cmon matt dont come to one of our rivers down here and try to bs us. It doesnt work. Imaginary brush piles at barrier.......cmon guy be serious.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Alright, you got me it wasn't a "brush pile" it was a "submerged bush", my bad.

[lol] C'mon now guys you're arguing about a BUSH!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.