squidding 2010?!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishingboy
Commander

squidding 2010?!

Post by fishingboy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:20 pm

anybody squidding now? if so how much?
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

Deka
Petty Officer

RE:squidding 2010?!

Post by Deka » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:53 pm

And if so ----- Where?

That is if you don't mind sharing. :>)

Deka

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:32 am

I was going to ask the same question. The few times I've tried at the Edmonds pier have been worse than simply slow for me.

They did have a good outing last month at the pier, it lasted all of maybe 2 days and then poof the squid vanished in a cloud of ink.

jtrapier
Petty Officer

Post by jtrapier » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Yup, went out last weekend to Steilacoom. I didn't do great, but I got 14 in about 2.5 hours.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 pm

It'd be nice to get a few more squid reports in on the site. I heard a guy that did really well in Des moines pier for squid last weekend, he was at outdoor emporium. I love the stuff, can't eat enough of it.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:31 pm

I'll probably check it out in 2 weeks when I'm back home in Bremerton for xmas. I've heard mixed reports on how it is so far on a squid forum that I'm on.

jtrapier
Petty Officer

Post by jtrapier » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 pm

I have tried a few places and I am a firm believer in squidding at ferry docks. It only makes sense due to the large lights. I usually go out in a small boat and drop anchor just away from where the rest of the squidders are at. I have NEVER been skunked @ Steilacoom and last year was pretty awesome, I had some nights where I could've had my 5lb limit in less than an hour if I wanted it. I usually go for just enough to make a good appetizer or two and it never takes too long.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:13 pm

jtrapier wrote:I have tried a few places and I am a firm believer in squidding at ferry docks. It only makes sense due to the large lights. I usually go out in a small boat and drop anchor just away from where the rest of the squidders are at. I have NEVER been skunked @ Steilacoom and last year was pretty awesome, I had some nights where I could've had my 5lb limit in less than an hour if I wanted it. I usually go for just enough to make a good appetizer or two and it never takes too long.
10 lb limit

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 am

Isn't the limit 10? In any case the limit would apply to me - ok it would but I got to go and catch some first.

About 12 people on the Edmonds pier tonight but nobody was really rocking the squid-iverse as it were. Some nice sized ones caught by a couple guys on the south side of the pier. North side was the smaller sized ones. I had a pole (wrong one) no reel and no squid jigs with me....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 am

Can't speak for the Edmonds pier but in my days of commercial fishing we would bring seine loads aboard in Hood Canal this time of year. most were washed overboard burt a chosen few made to the squid scalopini........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I may be dating myself a bit with this one. But I remember a time back in the early/mid 90's where there were squiders and generators all the way up and around the pier. And most of squiders had buckets worth of squid in what seemed like very little time. Now they are lucky if they get a dozen or so... and they call that a great night of squiding. Obviously something has changed.

And where the heck are the blackmouth so far this year? And the herring as well? No bait no fish. No fish no fun. I realize it goes in cycles but. Eventually it comes down to why can't we manage the resources better but that is a whine a- thon for another day.