summer metalheads.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jens
Commodore

RE:summer metalheads.

Post by jens » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:34 am

scott080379 wrote:I wish I lived that close to a river....well the skok isn't that far away. But I have to be at work by 0530 now. Once the salmon arein on the skok i will be heading there for some evening fishing.
Did you read the new regs on the Skok this year? I can't wait to get into some of those Chromers. Last year I had no idea what the hell I was doing, learned quite a bit since last August. :cheers: I am going to put a serious hurting on the Skok. :bounce: :bounce: I am due.
"One more......."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:39 am

chefjake99 wrote:Jens-
That is fantastic the dedication/addiction is great I work in Redmond and am able to get up to the Sky by 6pm on most occassions. Last week went 4 times I am definately addicted I gues I have some work to do on my dedication if you are the standard setter. I however have only limited once so I gues my game needs more work than just dedication and addiction.
I love the Sky, you are lucky. Are you primarily a drift fisherman?
"One more......."

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:52 am

jens wrote:
scott080379 wrote:I wish I lived that close to a river....well the skok isn't that far away. But I have to be at work by 0530 now. Once the salmon arein on the skok i will be heading there for some evening fishing.
Did you read the new regs on the Skok this year? I can't wait to get into some of those Chromers. Last year I had no idea what the hell I was doing, learned quite a bit since last August. :cheers: I am going to put a serious hurting on the Skok. :bounce: :bounce: I am due.
The Skok is going to get a thorough beating this year. Jens let me and Scott know if you're heading up, we only live 45 minutes from the river. Can't wait for it to open up. My boss' son lives over in Discovery Bay and said he caught about a 40# King trolling the waters there last week. He said they were jumpin all over the place. I told him to let me know the next time they go so I could come along.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 am

NEW REGS?????? Nope sure haven't guess i should bust out the book and read it now so I know way before I ever step foot on that bank. Oncew the Skok gets some fish in Don i will be going probably twice during the week and once a weekend if not more. Depends on finding a sitter for the kids and getting hte wife out.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:04 am

Oh an Don, you want some Ling Cod...moved this weekend and running low on freezer space. I don't even have the room for small chest freezer so I am going to have to eat my fish quick I catch this year......might need to do a few fish bakes this year and invite some washington lakes members.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 am

donman wrote:
jens wrote:
The Skok is going to get a thorough beating this year. Jens let me and Scott know if you're heading up, we only live 45 minutes from the river. Can't wait for it to open up. My boss' son lives over in Discovery Bay and said he caught about a 40# King trolling the waters there last week. He said they were jumpin all over the place. I told him to let me know the next time they go so I could come along.
Where do you guys fish? I parked at Hunter's and fished at the Campground area. I hated that I had no clue what I was doing. How did you guys do last year for the Kings?
"One more......."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 am

I didn't hit it early enough to put the hammer down on the kings.......Did great on cohos and chum there though. I always park at the bridge by hunters and go up or down stream......depends on how full the few holes are along there.

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:51 am

I got one King from there last year at the camp ground / farm area. I found the best place to be is up river from the bridge. You have to park at a yellow gate and walk in about a half mile. And right in that area is a great bend in the river. I killed the Chums in that area. One day I caught and released 6 monster chums that gave me a work out, brought one home. Yeah I'll probably be there at least twice a week and once on the weekends.
Skokomish river Fishery – Major changes were made to the Skokomish River this year. To meet a new, more stringent conservation objective, the August and September Chinook fishery will be a mark selective fishery and anglers will be required to release wild Chinook. On a trial basis, the recreational fishery is closed from Hwy. 106 Bridge to Hwy. 101 Bridge on Mondays, August 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and September 13, to reduce and assess potential conflict between anglers and tribal fi shers. To help reduce snagging, anglers will be required to release any salmon that is not hooked inside the mouth. Anglers will also be required to retain the fi rst 2 salmon, if legal to do so, and stop fishing. This regulation will help meet Hatchery Reform goals and help reduce crowding on the river while maintaining recreational opportunity.
Looks like no Chum fishing there according to regs.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 am

donman wrote:I got one King from there last year at the camp ground / farm area. I found the best place to be is up river from the bridge. You have to park at a yellow gate and walk in about a half mile. And right in that area is a great bend in the river. I killed the Chums in that area. One day I caught and released 6 monster chums that gave me a work out, brought one home. Yeah I'll probably be there at least twice a week and once on the weekends.
Skokomish river Fishery – Major changes were made to the Skokomish River this year. To meet a new, more stringent conservation objective, the August and September Chinook fishery will be a mark selective fishery and anglers will be required to release wild Chinook. On a trial basis, the recreational fishery is closed from Hwy. 106 Bridge to Hwy. 101 Bridge on Mondays, August 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and September 13, to reduce and assess potential conflict between anglers and tribal fi shers. To help reduce snagging, anglers will be required to release any salmon that is not hooked inside the mouth. Anglers will also be required to retain the fi rst 2 salmon, if legal to do so, and stop fishing. This regulation will help meet Hatchery Reform goals and help reduce crowding on the river while maintaining recreational opportunity.
Looks like no Chum fishing there according to regs.
Where? I don't read that about the Chums.
"One more......."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:46 am

SKOKOMISH RIVER (Mason Co.) from
mouth to Hwy. 106 Bridge
(834)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 1-Nov. 30: night closure, anti-snagging rule, and single-point barbless hooks required.
Aug. 1-Dec. 15: terminal gear (hooks, weights, lures, or baits) and line must not be within 25' of tribal gillnets.
We each must clean up after ourselves and pets. Refer to Human and Pet Waste Advisory (page 18).
All Game Fish First Sat. in June-July 31 Catch-and-release.
All Game Fish Oct. 1-Dec. 15 Catch-and-release.
SALMON Aug. 1-Sept. 30 Min. size 12". Daily limit 2. Release CHUM and wild CHINOOK. Only
fish hooked inside the mouth may be retained. Anglers must retain the
first 2 SALMON, if legal to do so, and stop fishing.
SALMON Oct. 1-Dec. 15 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 4 adults may be retained. Release
CHINOOK. Oct. 1-Oct. 15: release CHUM.

Yep...that sucks

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:49 am

well looks like after the 15th of OCt we can retain 4 chum a day

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Sorry forgot to put up the actual regs. That was just the special rules. And actually I think as far as chum fishing goes, these are the same regs. It's funny that we're already looking that far ahead for fishing. Actually I'm already looking forward to december on the Bogey again.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 pm

do this don fish for dogs get roe and then cure it up and then u got roe for steelhead. bogey steelhead love fresh cured roe $$$$ on that.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:00 pm

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WINTER RUN AGAIN ON THE BOGIE

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:13 pm

but remember boys get as much roe as u can
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:31 pm

scott080379 wrote:Fishnislife, I know Don can't make it next weekend but I am planning on taking a trip out the 17th or 18th. Let me know if you want to head out with me
I will have to see. The WL.com BBQ is the 17th at Tapps. But I might be able to do the 18th. I'll hit you up PM once I know.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:37 pm

donman wrote:@ Jeremiah What's up man? I forgot you were on here. I added you on my facebook again (long story). So you just got back from the Duc? How did you do? Hope to catch up with you soon, it's been a long time. How are the babies? And by the way, Scott is a great guy to hang with, he just has a problem with flatulence :-$

The wifey and I went all around the area just checking out the rivers and lakes for the Picture Index on here. (uploading them all soon) Only had the chance to fish the Q, by Mora Campground which we stayed at for the night, and ended up with 3 cutties.
And I have no problem with someone with a flatulence problem, as long as they can deal with mine. 8-[

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 pm

jens wrote:
chefjake99 wrote:Jens-
That is fantastic the dedication/addiction is great I work in Redmond and am able to get up to the Sky by 6pm on most occassions. Last week went 4 times I am definately addicted I gues I have some work to do on my dedication if you are the standard setter. I however have only limited once so I gues my game needs more work than just dedication and addiction.
I love the Sky, you are lucky. Are you primarily a drift fisherman?
Jens- Up until last winter season all I have done is either drift or use spoons. I am trying to learn this float and jig deal and see a definite advantage to it in low and clear water especially around big boulders. I have yet to catch a fish this way though. Oh well guess Ill just keep casting and trying different things till I figure it out. Any tips are always welcome.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:20 am

makes you feel any better I haven't caught anything off a float yet but I have form drifting a light jig though. maybe this weekend.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:20 am

chefjake99 wrote: I am trying to learn this float and jig deal and see a definite advantage to it in low and clear water especially around big boulders. I have yet to catch a fish this way though. Oh well guess Ill just keep casting and trying different things till I figure it out. Any tips are always welcome.
Chefjake - Really, once you get the setup right there really isn't a whole lot to it and from what I saw of your setup last Sunday, you are good (the only thing might be to downsize your float a little - I am using 3/8 float, 1/4weight and 1/8 jig). Cast to the seams, current should be at a good walking pace (though I have caught a couple in crawling patches too) Then it is just color and depth.

I fished all last winter with not even a hit and thought I HAD to be doing something wrong, but here I am doing the same thing this summer and now I am at 6 fish in 4 outings, and talking like I know something!

Keep at it, you'll be posting one up soon!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker