Springers in other Rivers?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
donman
Warrant Officer

Springers in other Rivers?

Post by donman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has had any experience with catching any springers in the Puget Sound area. I live in the Bremerton area and even though I'm going there this Saturday, just thinking about the drive to the Cowlitz makes me sleepy. If there is anything closer, like the Skok, that would be awesome.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Springers in other Rivers?

Post by Toni » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 pm

donman wrote:Hey guys just wondering if anyone has had any experience with catching any springers in the Puget Sound area. I live in the Bremerton area and even though I'm going there this Saturday, just thinking about the drive to the Cowlitz makes me sleepy. If there is anything closer, like the Skok, that would be awesome.
The drive to the Cowlitz is OK. For the me the drive home is bad. Hard to stay awake.

There are fish in the Skookumchuck but not as many as the Cowlitz.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Yah, I have to agree with Toni, it's not the drive to the cowlitz, it's the drive home that makes me wanna grab a pillow and zonk out. Especially as brutal as that river can be sometimes. Don't think anything up here in the puget sound area is even open for springers or getting any for that matter. Maybe out towards the OP or up north by the san juans. Check the regs first though. They're pretty tight about certain runs up that way from what I've heard. Like Toni said, the Skook is another option too but I'm not too sure what you can keep there. Once again, check the regs!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks y'all, I'll be getting the new regs today when I get my license. Thanks for the input. It's true the drive home is brutal, thankfully I won't be driving.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 am

As you are already on that side of the Sound, the Sol Duc and the Quillayute are both open for salmon at this time. Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to save any time running out to the coast. The closest open salmon angling you have is area 11. And as we need to remind everyone, the regs run from May 1st through the end of April every year!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:46 pm

salmonslayer117 wrote:Yah, I have to agree with Toni, it's not the drive to the cowlitz, it's the drive home that makes me wanna grab a pillow and zonk out. Especially as brutal as that river can be sometimes. Don't think anything up here in the puget sound area is even open for springers or getting any for that matter. Maybe out towards the OP or up north by the san juans. Check the regs first though. They're pretty tight about certain runs up that way from what I've heard. Like Toni said, the Skook is another option too but I'm not too sure what you can keep there. Once again, check the regs!
The Skook is closed for Salmon but open until the end of April for steelhead. Or unless they close it sooner which they did last year.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mud Duck
Petty Officer

Post by Mud Duck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Skykomish River June 1st-July 31st Lewis St, bridge to Wallace River (Hatchery Chinooks only)

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Theres alot of rivers that open in June. But really the fishing is either west to the OP or south to the columbia tribs. In this area thats about all there is till june or so. I either sleep at the boat launch or take a nap at the rest stop just outside chehalis on my way home.
More fish please!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:43 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Theres alot of rivers that open in June. But really the fishing is either west to the OP or south to the columbia tribs. In this area thats about all there is till june or so. I either sleep at the boat launch or take a nap at the rest stop just outside chehalis on my way home.
Not all open for salmon. Most of the Puget sound runs come in Aug and the fall

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 am

Yeah August is just too far away for me. But I'll be at the Cowlitz tomorrow night and Saturday. Can't wait! We'll be hunting for Springers and Steelhead. By the way Flingin, nice catch and that was awesome that your son caught some too.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:28 am

Ty don Ill be back down tomorrow and sat as well gonna try for a few more. My smoked fish is already all eaten. Man them kids devoured it. It was some good stuff. I only have a few fillets for a dinner left. I have to stock pile a few now.
More fish please!

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 am

So how did you do Don?

The drive to the cow isn't taht bad at all. to be honest not much worse then the drive and back to the boggie we did.

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 pm

@Scott - Not so good. Had a great time practicing all day :) but we still had fun. I think I might go back there Thursday and hit Blue Creek on foot and not in a boat. We weren't the boat boat to get skunked, but I'm not giving up!

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 pm

BTW The drive wasnt bad at all . . . since I wasnt the one driving, I slept all the way back :)