Moses lake walleye

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bp11139
Petty Officer

Moses lake walleye

Post by bp11139 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:27 pm

So this weekend im heading over to Moses lake to camp. Im not interested in any bass or really any other species but Walleye. Im going to be just trolling around the Cascade park. Now what would be my best bet at this time of the year to catch some decent size walleye? Has any one fished it lately an know whats working? Since im going with a large group and im the only fisherman, most of the focus will be quading at the dunes and wakeboarding. But in the mornings i plan on getting some fishing in. This is why ill probably just stay around the park and not head over to Potholes. So my plan is to troll with some crankbaits. Im not sure if the walleye will be deep this time of year so im not sure if I should throw some weight on there. Any input would be great.

my buddy that lives in south dakota talks about walleye fishing all the time an says they are great eatin. Last time i was camping there at moses, the water was filled with algae. How safe will they be to cook right now? Thanks.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Moses lake walleye

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:02 pm

I don't know that I would consider Moses deep anywhere, so consider it a shallow fishery. Try to troll at the outside weed edge, fairly fast, with crankbaits, so that the baits just tick or slide over the tops of the weeds. I like the banana style of narrow profile deep diving crank, but that is just my preference here.

You will probably catch a few bass, but this is my normal method of catching Walleye there. Normally they are on the out sized variety here as well.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey BP...I'd take AA's advice and find weed lines (ambush points)...also may try a worm harness w/ a bottom bouncer in those same areas. Have fun! And yes...they are GREAT to eat...I love mine 'boiled in butter'!!

bp11139
Petty Officer

Post by bp11139 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 pm

Awesome. Thanks. So the plan as of now.. troll fast with cranks. I was planning on this but still uneasy if to use weight an i would have probably trolled slower than faster. Im starting to get excited. Just one more day of work then off to (hopefully) sunshine and some big walleyes!!!

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:00 am

I don't add any weight w/ the crank...just get one that dives to the desired depth...trolling faster will make it dive to it's max depth as well. May use 1 to 1.5 oz bottom bouncer w/ worm harness if going that route. Have fun! :bounce:

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:37 am

Sent ya a PM.