Whitney to Soos creek drift?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Whitney to Soos creek drift?

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 am

Has anyone run this drift on the Green yet this year? I know last year there was a log problem across the river, it was removed, but if there are any hazards this year, it would be nice to know if I need to put the saw in the boat.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Whitney to Soos creek drift?

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:23 am

Not a bad piece to carry just incase. I normally put mine in when I may going some squirrely places.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:42 am

I vote yes to the saw!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Like Bodo said, it's a good thing to have along. Especially on unfamiliar drifts. It's not that much extra to carry. Also when in doubt, scout it out. Better safe than sorry.

gassyboy
Petty Officer

Post by gassyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:55 pm

I floated it Friday and today. There are no new obstructions since last year. The log that goes over the river at the tree farm below O'gradys is impassable if the flow is above 2200cfs on the Auburn gage.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Right on guys, thanks for the info. I've seen some guys go under that log on high water and they had to duck down. We were on the Snohomish during the storm, and we watched a couple of good size alders come down, and had to pull anchor and move because of some branches falling dangerously close to us. I could see how new wood could come up. That's good to here. Did you run it with a drift boat or a toon?

gassyboy
Petty Officer

Post by gassyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Drift boat.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:38 pm

gassyboy wrote:Drift boat.
Right on. Thanks for the update!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:43 pm

FYI in that high water yesterday, that darn log fell more into the river. It's passable still, but stupid. The middle section fell down, so the angle and opening are tighter even then they were. Someone needs to cut that darn thing out, because it's going to come down and block the river completely.

Diamonddave
Petty Officer

Post by Diamonddave » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:05 am

Take the saw Nate! You make your money on the river, If it were me I know I would, I would never let a log take money from my family !

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:20 am

It's going to take a team to get that one out of the way. I don't think it would be safe for just me to do.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:58 am

natetreat wrote:It's going to take a team to get that one out of the way. I don't think it would be safe for just me to do.

Have pictures of the precarious log?

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 am

DD: Just a word of warning, I would not publicly post any conversations about cutting / moving logs on a river. As silly as it sounds the powers that be do not treat this stuff lightly and on the Green due to the ACE engineered log jams (more like debris at this point) they are even more picky about it. Nate is right that log is not a one person job, unless that one person were a professional on the saw, with good knowledge of the zdrag and a big set of ... you know.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:25 pm

jumpinjim wrote:DD: Just a word of warning, I would not publicly post any conversations about cutting / moving logs on a river. As silly as it sounds the powers that be do not treat this stuff lightly and on the Green due to the ACE engineered log jams (more like debris at this point) they are even more picky about it. Nate is right that log is not a one person job, unless that one person were a professional on the saw, with good knowledge of the zdrag and a big set of ... you know.

I know right? They get upset if you take cut the logs. It's not like we're trying to tacke all the trees off the side, just make it passable. It sure would be nice if the log jam below 18 would disappear as well :-"

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:10 pm

I can kind of understand the log jam below 18. That is real fish habitat and you would almost need either a big chinook (heli) or some big boom booms to take that out, but the little logs around the river are silly. None the less it is a real issue. Every year we do a clean up on the river from Headworks down to Flaming Geyser as a whitewater group and last year there were some seriously dangerous pieces of wood in the gorge that prevented rafts from getting through. Some eager beavers made them smaller and several people were given tickets and warnings. The crazy thing is that it was life threatening wood unlike the log where we are talking about. Regardless these ACE tagged logs are being tracked and they don't want them messed with, as much as I would like to see it gone, I won't be the one to do it considering the problems I have seen in the past over this stuff.

dustinchromers
Petty Officer

Post by dustinchromers » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:00 pm

we have had problems on the coast in the last five or so years removing wood. it apparently constitutes a hydro project permit! who would have thought removing a hazard from a river would get so much flack.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:09 pm

I don't fish the green at all but it is an easy tree to take out. Stop being a bunch of --- and cut the river left side of the log and let the current deal with the rest. Obviously no one here has experience cutting river hazards out. I understand the legal crap, but it is a average sweeper at best. Not that difficult to take out. It is not a multi person job.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Wow. Grumpy much?.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Not grumpy at all. You guys are just over reacting over a minor sweeper. If you have actually fished the coast enough you come across these kind of sweepers regularly. You either deal with them in a portage kind of way (depending on flow) or you cut the damn thing out of your way. Just grow a pair and do it or contact someone that can legally do it or is willing to fly under the radar. Talking a about it on a forum ain't gonna move it. You either deal with it yourself or move on and portage every time you do the drift.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:45 am

So now I'm curious, does anyone know for a fact there is a state or federal law prohibiting cutting downed logs in the water?

The log we speak of a is pretty big (as in a full tree). it would take awhile to cut. I think it would be portage-able, at least for a pontoon guy. It would not be fun dragging a driftboat though.

Time to dig...

This RCW pertains to causing a barrier in a river:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=88.28.050

Closer. This RCW states who has control of managing obstructions:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=86.16.035

RCW 86.16.035

Department of ecology — Control of dams and obstructions.

Subject to RCW 43.21A.068, the department of ecology shall have supervision and control over all dams and obstructions in streams, and may make reasonable regulations with respect thereto concerning the flow of water which he or she deems necessary for the protection to life and property below such works from flood waters.

So, if I'm reading it correctly, if this was to be done (legally) it would require contacting the Department of Ecology.

Here is the home page for the WA Dept. of Ecology:

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/

I'm off tomorrow, maybe I'll give them a call.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".