Sealion steals mans fish & net...Video

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Big D

Sealion steals mans fish & net...Video

Post by Big D » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Sealion steals mans fish & net...Video

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Nature................. always interesting. I wonder if he eventually cut his line?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:32 pm

Wow! That sea lion has great comedic timing... although if it happened to me I doubt I'd be laughing. :cheese:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackster13
Petty Officer

Post by trackster13 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:57 am

i had a very similar incident with a harbor seal this year fishing for pinks at Dash Pt State Park. I was out in my 8ft row boat, hooked and landed a fish. As I had the fish over the side of the boat to remove the hook, the seal bit onto the fish thru my net, I struggled trying not to lose the fish and fall overboard. A couple smacks with my rod and he let go only to COME BACK for a 2nd run at the me, the fish and my net. It latched on again, this time knocking one of my oars out before finally letting go. The fish unscathed and my net in shambles. Funny story to tell to fishing buddies....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 am

It's more common than you might think these days. We had it happen to us, just shy of the net. driving the fish around the boat, getting ready to net and Wham!, right next to the boat and gone.
It's very common down on the Columbia, the closer you get to Boniville Dam. Most guy's are using 50#+ braid and BIG hooks, reef them in fast!

I think the Orca Thief is still posted here somewhere, if not. Bodo's Vids
It's a good one too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:27 pm

I had a sealion tear into my fish at the Shipwreck area last season.I was using light tackle and needed to let the fish run and play. I played it a lil too long. I didnt get any fish but I got the head.I see that alot in area 10 11.Also 8.1.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.