Jammin Time

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Jammin Time

Post by racfish » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:36 pm

I've been fishing Lk Wa down by the house here catching lots of perch.Nothing of decent size though.Now back to topic.Ive been fishing in the am and Jammin in the afternoons.Ive put up Strawberry,Goosberry, Raspberry so far.Some I make with sugar for gifts and others I use Grape Juice and Apple for sweetner.Jam is easy to make and great later on when the fresh berrys arent around.Soon will be Blackberry,Tayberry,Loganberry and if not to expensive Huckleberry.I use the powder pectin for low sugar recipes.Great fun to do with kids too.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

curado
Admiral

RE:Jammin Time

Post by curado » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:21 pm

racfish i got lots of huckleberry at my place 10 acres and lots of blackberries common out and get some
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:33 pm

hucks are ripe now
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

EGG GURU

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 am

Now my Apricot jam is done.I went east couple weeks ago and got my cots.Thats my moms favorite.Nothing too good for mom. Tonite will be another batch of raspberry and a first blackberry.As fruit ripens I put it up.This weekend Im gonna go buy okra.30 lbs worth for pickling.Im hoping that Curado hasnt eaten all the huckleberries yet. I hope to get there also.Soooo busy this time of year and I love it. I'm gonna try to be at the big shindig with samplers if I'm not working.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:50 am

I found grape juce is the same sugar content plain old sugar. The eating bible says stay away from grapes if you have a problem with sugar. My wife and I have been using splenda to make jam. They say 1 to 1 replacement with sugar, we've settled on 1/2 to 2/3 to 1 replacement. If the fruit is sweet less and if the fruit is tart a little more. So far no one has said it tastes funny. I can't tell after dropping sugar from my diet.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:17 am

I dont eat much jam or jelly I make.I cut out bread from my diet and from lack of teeth no peanuts either.I give my jams and jellies along with my pickled products as holiday gifts and give to friends.I use Splenda for most everything.I agree Bodo. I use less Splenda then the ammount they say.I really enjoy canning.Its not easy and very time consuming.White grape juice is very good and dosent change product color. Still the sugar content in grapes is very bad for the Diabetic.I am type 1 diabetic so most all sugars natural or not are not good for me.Another good natural sugar is honey.It cooks up much like a corn syrup.Last night before perch fishing I made 2 batches of low sugar Blackberry jam.

I' ve noticed since my big weight loss that my insulin ammounts have been lowered by 2/3. I use to shoot 150 units of NPH nightly.Now I shoot 34 units.Hopefully I can maintain the new me and keep doing better. Happy eating to everyone . Good luck and good job everyone.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 am

We make up a couple batches a year, for breakfast, one cereal=bowl of oats or one piece of toast....... and no not real bread, that fake stuff that tases like cardboard. a wad of jam for the fruit and I'm a happy guy. =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:47 pm

You mentioned jam in oatmeal.My good bro in law loves oatmeal with jam. I send him each flavor I make for him and my sis.Thats a pretty east coast thing. Where from Bodo? originally?

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 pm

rac there is half the amount of hucks this year but i can get you a lot of blackberries.

EGG GURU

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Oh how I do love me some huckleberries, need to find some for the wife she has never had them.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 am

Lots of the red variety on our side of the state.I get the Blue Hucks on the east side near Mt Adams.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:39 am

racfish wrote:Lots of the red variety on our side of the state.I get the Blue Hucks on the east side near Mt Adams.
never knew there were suck a thing and I lived here my whole life...............well excluding 4 years.

do they taste any diffrent?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:09 am

racfish wrote:Lots of the red variety on our side of the state.I get the Blue Hucks on the east side near Mt Adams.
Miles and miles of them right up at Snoqualmie Pass. No east coast here just some wierd habits.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:38 am

MissElley just got done whipping up a mess of jam. Carmel Cinnamon Apple, and I believe a Passion Fruit jam. Tasty, but a bit sweet for me. Im sure the targeted audience, the boys, will devour it.

kcc
Warrant Officer

Post by kcc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:15 am

I have a ton of blackberries in my jard and want to do something with them. I'm looking for a freezer jam recipe, since i dont have alot of free time (to busy fishing) to make jam the old fashion way. If anyone has one please pass it on. Also have a pear tree, can you make jam out of them?? Thanks

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 am

Ralph or somebody,, put up a recipe/method for making jam. I know nothing of this stuff, although my mom canned and did all that around me growing up. I would love to do it with my kids now.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:21 pm

My best jams come from the Sure-Jell packages. Jam making has to be exact measurements or you wont get a proper set.wa State berries and fruits are extremely juicy cuz of our climate.I follow their recipes as a guidline.I sometimes mix fruit but the sugars to the ammt of fruit are the same.This year I made a new variety called Black Rap.Its blacberry puree,apricot puree,and raspberry puree.It came out quite good.It was a nice combo of different tastes.The other new one I made was a Spiced Peach.I used a lil cinnamon and clove to spice it up.I did one batch with hot pepper also for a picante tasting jam I use on baked chicken.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misselley
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Misselley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:52 am

I was unable to pick blackberries this year so I went with frozen packaged fruits from Sam's club. One was three berries of blackberry, raspberry and strawberries. The other was a combination of pineapple, papaya and strawberries. The second is what I call my tropical jam. I used 4 cups of berries with 7 cups of sugar and one package of liquid certo. This follows the amounts listed in the certo packaging. The other two recipes I used was for Caramel Apple Jam, and Apple pie Jam. I would reccomend using a little less nutmeg in the apple pie recipe.
Attachments

[The extension docx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension docx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Ellen McVey

Field Designs, Sponsor
www.FieldCustomDesigns.com
Cascade Musky Association.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:01 am

We got a batch of plums from my inlaws, gonna freeze them until next week and add them to the growing stash of jam for the winter.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:23 am

I'm picking plums myself.What I do with plums is to make plum butter and plum cheese.They are made the same .The plum butter is just from rendering the plums till most water has gone. The cheese is made by rendering them down even more.Plum butter is a wonderful jam and the cheese is slicable and served as an after dinner treat.I do add small ammounts of suger during the rendering process at the end. If you use too much sugar too early then the mixture will burn.I do this with plums,apples quince,and pears.