Fishing Picnic point beach

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Chefbrian117
Petty Officer

Fishing Picnic point beach

Post by Chefbrian117 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Hey guys Im wondering what is the best way to fish picnic point? Species Im targeting are salmon, doesnt matter if its a king or a pink I just want to catch a fish.

scott080379
Commodore

RE:Fishing Picnic point beach

Post by scott080379 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:21 pm

I take it you are fishing from shore................... buzz bobs are one of the baetter was to go. there are lots of other ways but buzzboms have worked foe me at just about any shore location. If trolling, 12 foot leader off the down rigger, fish about 10 feet off the bottom. Try diffretn stuff but at that level I did well today but was out at Jeffs head.

good luck

Chefbrian117
Petty Officer

Post by Chefbrian117 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Where exactly is jeffs head?

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:16 am

abut one mile north of kingston. Look for the boats

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:40 am

No, Jeff Head is SOUTH of Kingston.
Life's short - fish hard!

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:49 am

wolverine wrote: No, Jeff Head is SOUTH of Kingston.
Sh!t your're right, I guess we didn;t even hit Jeff head yesterday. the guy whos boat I was on said it was jeff head.

thanks for the correction

here is a link to the location.

http://www.fisharc.com/locations/89-Jeff_Head

Chefbrian117
Petty Officer

Post by Chefbrian117 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:02 pm

what color of buzzbomb should I use?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:20 am

Chefbrian117 wrote:what color of buzzbomb should I use?
Pink, white w/pink strip, and white w/green stripe have all caught me fish from shore this year.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Chefbrian117
Petty Officer

Post by Chefbrian117 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:42 pm

and my last question where on the shore should I begin to cast?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:24 pm

Chefbrian117 wrote:and my last question where on the shore should I begin to cast?
At the waters edge:clown:

Only fished there once, so I really have no idea. If no one can tell you just pick a spot and work your way up/down the beach from there.

You can also make a run down to the beach on a low tide and make note of the terrain, then go back at incoming/high tide and have a little better idea of where to fish.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Quick question. I've read online about how to fish a buzz bomb and took that out to Picnic point this morning. Didn't get any fish (well, some small thing that looked like a ling). I did get lots of seaweed. I'm not sure if I'm fishing it right, how do you fish a buzz bomb exactly?

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 pm

jig it
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:51 pm

I hope you kept the packaging to your buzz bombs. It tells you how to fish with them in the back of the packaging.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:07 pm

MikeFishes wrote:Quick question. I've read online about how to fish a buzz bomb and took that out to Picnic point this morning. Didn't get any fish (well, some small thing that looked like a ling). I did get lots of seaweed. I'm not sure if I'm fishing it right, how do you fish a buzz bomb exactly?

First off when you tie it on, make sure that you thread your line through the correct end of the buzz bomb first. It will say "Line" on one end,, "Hook" on the other. Be sure and use the black rubber bumper between the hook and the buzz bomb. It will help save your knot
Cast it as far as you can. It will not be very deep out there, so immediatly start jigging it back. (Once it hits the water, reel the slack quickly from your line. Then point your rod tip straight in front of you, and give it a quick jig/snap to about 11:00. Drop you rod back to starting position while reeling up the new slack. Jig back to 11:00 etc. etc.)
The seaweed is there some days, and not some days. A.lot of times it is only close in to shore and you can throw past it.
btw The ling looking thing, was most likely a sculpin. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/psamp/graphics/sculpin2.jpg
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Start at Picnic Pt and go up the beach toward Everett. You will see a ship wreck going towards Norma Beach....This area has worked for me years ago. Fish it at high water or at sunup or sundown. A pink buzzbomb is put on the mainline. Start with the buzzbomb then the rubber stopper/gasket then a single 2/0 or 3/0 hook-Pink color is best but a red Gamagatsu works fine....Not the treble hook. When the Humpies are really running they will be along that beach. You will see them on the surface during those times I mentioned. They run in schools. You will see lot's of people fishing along this area in boats and on the beach. If there are no people then the humps aren't there yet. Keep an eye out. Call Teds sporting goods and they will tell you when the humps are running heavy. I am guessing about 2 weeks+...Good luck Try Edmonds Dock now for Kings...White/green or blue stripe 4 in buzz bomb or Point wilson dart...You will see what they use if you stop by most anytime. Yesterday I saw a 16 and 17lb kings and one guy had one on that was larger but lost it. Good luck to you. Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

DaKanati
Petty Officer

Post by DaKanati » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:29 pm

I personally also jig the buzz bomb, but I have seen many people just cast them out and reel them in with the same success.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:48 pm

i have found a backup way if you lost you bumper surgical tubing. cut a 1/4 inch piece
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

fulkerl
Angler

Post by fulkerl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:33 am

I to have used surgical tubing it works great. After you tie the buzz bomb on use the hook point and go through the sides, pull all the way over hook eye. Acks like a spring this way works better then black rubber bumper.