early pond bass?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

early pond bass?

Post by sharpshooter223 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 pm

any good ideas on how to fish small ponds for largemouth around the end of february, beginning of march? i have a pond in mind that is supposed to have very nice fish and i would like to try fishing it in the next couple weeks.

BassDood
Commander

RE:early pond bass?

Post by BassDood » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:27 pm

Personally, I like fishing jigs very slow when it's cold. I use either black/blue or pumpkin. I've used Senko's very slow with success too. Just be patient.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Stitching this time of year is a very effective technique. I use either a Huddlebug, Roboworm or you might even consider a nightcrawler.
Largemouth can be caught this time of year with this water temp., just play it slow.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:54 pm

dont rule out spinnerbaits or lipless cranks either.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:31 pm

tnj8222 wrote:dont rule out spinnerbaits or lipless cranks either.
A spinnerbait with a salty trailer will do the trick this time of year. The trailer slows the spinnerbait down and if you stop the retrieve it gives it just enough wobble to make some finicky cold bass hit it out of spite.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:17 am

Swim Baits......

E

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:20 am

Or use crawdad jigs slowly or dropshots
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:34 am

early in the year is the easiest to catch them. starting in march they seem to bite about anything. as soon as they get spawning on the mind they almost completly stop eating.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:39 pm

The first thing you need. Get your self a crawfish trap. tie some bacon in the middle and toss it out in any Lk. Keep it in 2'-3' of water. Check your trap for bait. This is bass candy use it and you will catch Bass.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Spinnerbaits, rattletraps, and I've actually heard buzzbaits. Reaction bites will get you bites, just need to be there in the right conditions.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Find out what the main forage in the lake is and try your best 2 match it! "Match-The-Hatch"!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:52 pm

yea, i would like to be clear, im not planning on fishing a lake like this, im planning on fishing a small pond (under 10 acres), as far as i can tell theres only bluegill and largemouth in it. but i have been reading more online and i decided to pick up a couple jerk baits/minnow crankbaits and some bucktail jigs.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:10 am

Well it sounds like everyone has responded with just about everything you could use...I think the key is slowing things down....One thing I find interesting, We are giving advise for ponds right? The lake is not as deep as most, probably at most 35 ft, fishing along the shore lines wouldn't be the best bet, going slow along a good drop off point in the pond would do well with whatever lure/bait mentioned above....Great advise from everyone!!!!!
Ryan

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:11 am

Trent Hale wrote:The first thing you need. Get your self a crawfish trap. tie some bacon in the middle and toss it out in any Lk. Keep it in 2'-3' of water. Check your trap for bait. This is bass candy use it and you will catch Bass.
There is no question that live crawfish are an effective big bass catcher in places where they are legal to use as bait. However, live crawfish are illegal to use as bait in Washington State if I'm not mistaken. I don't believe the regulations on this have changed. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

No problem....a properly presented jig-n-pig is a pretty good imitation!

kickerfish
Petty Officer

Post by kickerfish » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:26 am

All of the above work, however I prefer a suspending jerk bait (Lucky Craft or Strike King Wild Shiner). The trick is to fish them along points or drop offs. On this little pond you will more than like have contour changes rather than points. The trick is slow your retrieve. Jerk count to 5, jerk again. You have to slow down. They will nail it on your third or fourth jerk if they are sitting suspended.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 pm

tagwatson360 wrote:
Trent Hale wrote:The first thing you need. Get your self a crawfish trap. tie some bacon in the middle and toss it out in any Lk. Keep it in 2'-3' of water. Check your trap for bait. This is bass candy use it and you will catch Bass.
There is no question that live crawfish are an effective big bass catcher in places where they are legal to use as bait. However, live crawfish are illegal to use as bait in Washington State if I'm not mistaken. I don't believe the regulations on this have changed. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

No problem....a properly presented jig-n-pig is a pretty good imitation!
i asked the game department about that a couple years ago, they said they dont consider it a fish and its fine to use. if they change the rules to no live aquatic species though, then im sure it wont be legal.

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Trent Hale wrote:i asked the game department about that a couple years ago, they said they dont consider it a fish and its fine to use. if they change the rules to no live aquatic species though, then im sure it wont be legal.
Thats good to know.
Banks lake for LIFE!

2010 Big Fish Competition:
SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:41 pm

:-$ A little birdie told me that they were legal to use.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Trent Hale wrote: :-$ A little birdie told me that they were legal to use.
Your little birdie was correct, but check regulatons out every year for changes. One never knows what and when things will change.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Craws

There appears to be a calendar season & minimum size limit. In addition I've seen signs at a couple of lakes prohibiting the transfer of craws between different lakes.

The following was copied from the 2008 regs.

CRAWFISH
ALL WATERS CRAWFISH 1st Mon. in
May-Oct. 31
Min. size 3¼" from tip of rostrum (nose) to tip of tail. Daily limit 10 lbs. in shell. All
females with eggs or young attached must be immediately returned to the water
unharmed. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See gear rules on page 141.