How long did it take you to be good at River fishing?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Iceman
Petty Officer

How long did it take you to be good at River fishing?

Post by Iceman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

Just curious guys, How long did it take you to be so good at river fishing? How many years before you feel confident in your skills? I notice that some people are just gifted and could fish great with very few years under their belt. Then there is always those people that always catches the fish.

I am mostly a lake fisherman and have only recently started getting into river fishing. I got about 3 separate years in with about 6 or more outings per year and I still feel like I have a long way to go. At this rate, maybe in 10 years I could be like you guys and feel confident fishing and giving advice to others.

It seems like 9 times out of 10 I wont catch anything? I still haven't caught a Steelhead. The only fish I caught in rivers are bullheads and Pinks. I caught 1 King that snapped my 15lb leader right in front of me.

I know that the more you are on the river it helps make you better. I just wonder how long it took you guys? and how many outings you take per year? I know everyone is different but I just want an idea.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:How long did it take you to be good at River fishing?

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:58 am

First after reading your posts you know how to fish and your trying to set guys up that are green and you came on a awhile back whith your boys blosting a bunch of none realted stuff about nothing#-o :-" :-({|= I might be wrong but this is one of the tool boys from the OP:cheers:

Lets see some current pics of yourself doing:eye: :compress:

If I am wrong sorry but I smell a Rat:cat: and I have a big cat!!!

The answer to that question is simple you never learn it all and with the fisheries ever changing you must change with them= thinking outside the norm to be a fish hog.

I have 40 plus years and many more then that pressing rivers and loads to see, learn and do but in most cases there is a correct passage to shorten the learning curve!:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:14 am

swedefish4life1 wrote: The answer to that question is simple you never learn it all and with the fisheries ever changing you must change with them thinking outside the norm to be a fish hog.

I have 40 plus years and many more then that pressing rivers and loads to see, learn and do but in most cases there is a correct passage to shorten the learning curve!:cheers:
Ditto that and.....

More than all that is the basic rule of fishing. Fish where they are, not where they aren't. Watch the other guys, take a guided trip, look for cars parked in a river access site and go ask an watch. I've found most folks are pretty friendly and don't mind sharing a little knowledge and if you're lucky maybe they'll offer a setup or even just show you so next time.....
I've been fishing rivers since I was a kid and I still don't know all there is, I don't think anybody does. Most of the guy's that are real good are fishing a perticular system and have learned all the holes and know when the fish are there, only because they're out there all the time and they have years of experience in timing the runs. All of them are a little different but still the same, some runs may like shrimp others roe and yet others jigs........ Grab your gear and go, When I'm going to a new place I will bring everything and the kitchen sink.
Just have fun and soak up all you can and just when you think you have it dialed in the game changes. o:)
Fish on!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:29 am

You see a bunch of Rigs close to a system Run from that area#-o :-" :-$ It will be ground and pounded and most guys do not want to earn it.

Take up hiking find upper river trails and smaller systems that feed the main rivers you invest the time and put in the leg work and research EACH AND ALL you will find many perfect seams, heads, mids and tailouts:cheers:

Reading productive holding waters in any river system is the key to salmon, steelhead, trout even (tool chasers):compress: :colors:
Once you learn this :chef: you will get hooked up and be able to give the Bamboo Shampoo Earned:cheese: :cyclops: :eye:

Iceman
Petty Officer

Post by Iceman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 pm

I am sorry Swedefish4life. I am a new member. I think you mistaken me for someone esle. I just have only 9 posts including this one. I just joined this website a few days ago because I am bored at work. I basic stay on a computer for 10 hours monitoring alarms. I figure I learn something while I am here.

I can hold my own on a lake going after trout, bass, and panfish. River is a different story. I can catch Pinks but who doesn't know how to catch them. I watched a 8 year old kid catch a Pink throwing a jig 2 foot out.

Since you mentioned you had 40 years, I didn't get to start fishing until I was almost 18. I wanted to fish since I was 8. My dad doesn't like to fish so I didn't get to start until 10 years later with the help of my cousin. I have fished lakes for 8 years. I don't think I have enough fishing experience. I don't have as much time to fish anymore but I still try.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Lets See a Pic!:-$ :cheers:
If all is real feel free I earned my dents:eye: :cheese: there many lol and will help you get hooked up on any fish you seek!:-$
Attachments
b24.jpg
b24.jpg (71.53 KiB) Viewed 5102 times

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 pm

I was gonna say pretty much the same as Swede said.You never really ever conquer a river.You get to know a river and its popular holes but one good flood can change the river drastically.Try to get a book by Amato Publishers on "Rivers of Wa State".It shows access and some of the more popular holes.I like to find new virgin fishing spots.Places that dont look heavily fished but could be a great spot.Personally I love the hunt.Id've shown my picture of my fish but I dont dress cool like Swede and I dont have dem cool sunshades.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Swede, Racfish,
I'm all over that hunting and finding your own way but that's time earned. A guy needs to get the basics from a few people along the way. Put some tools in the tool box so to speak. You could find the most secluded hole stuffed with fish and if you show up with a broom handle with some twine, a paper clip and half a hotdog, you're not going to get much going except frustration. Standing out there and casting with everybody else has it's place too. I can remember doing many years ago, the only difference was the casting hoard was only a couple guy's now it's ten to twenty!!!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Bodo and hook setting:-$ :-# Your lean:colors: :dwarf: but you never heard that from me! LOL:eye:
Fishing with 1 or 2 with some skills will support some learning:bounce: but stacking up at the Baker holes with a bunch of others will show you little or nothing but bad habits in fact most anglers winter steelheading are (standing and wading in the bang zone) why?
They dont know what and why and where the fish hold this is done all over the Wallace, Crackerhead bar and a list longer then your rod!:chef:
Metalheads do not hold in Salmon waters/Deep Pockets and holes#-o :-" they love it 3 to 10 feet max and just off the mayor flows on the inside or outside the Seam and they love tailouts:colors:
Attachments
hooked_up_Wenatchee.jpg
hooked_up_Wenatchee.jpg (96.34 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:20 pm

I can agree with all but the hook set as long as you have some buds to pass on knowledge.
Hookset hummmmmmmm, I know you think I should be breaking the rod on the hookset. I prefer to use the sharp hooks so I don't have to break the rod. :rambo: =p~ :shaking2: :salut:

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Iceman wrote:Just curious guys, How long did it take you to be so good at river fishing? How many years before you feel confident in your skills? I notice that some people are just gifted and could fish great with very few years under their belt. Then there is always those people that always catches the fish.

I am mostly a lake fisherman and have only recently started getting into river fishing. I got about 3 separate years in with about 6 or more outings per year and I still feel like I have a long way to go. At this rate, maybe in 10 years I could be like you guys and feel confident fishing and giving advice to others.

It seems like 9 times out of 10 I wont catch anything? I still haven't caught a Steelhead. The only fish I caught in rivers are bullheads and Pinks. I caught 1 King that snapped my 15lb leader right in front of me.

I know that the more you are on the river it helps make you better. I just wonder how long it took you guys? and how many outings you take per year? I know everyone is different but I just want an idea.
Tomorrow at the Skookumchuck from 8a-10a - there is a free clinic...shoot me a PM or email and I can forward you the details...
"One more......."

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 pm

jens wrote:
Iceman wrote:Just curious guys, How long did it take you to be so good at river fishing? How many years before you feel confident in your skills? I notice that some people are just gifted and could fish great with very few years under their belt. Then there is always those people that always catches the fish.

Tomorrow at the Skookumchuck from 8a-10a - there is a free clinic...shoot me a PM or email and I can forward you the details...
I am going now.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:50 pm

One thing - the difference between lake and river fishing- In lakes you can fish April- Oct. if you know a year round lake even longer. Giving you more opportunity to learn. River fishing starts in July or Sept. It lasts longer for steelhead but in the winter one might need proper clothing. My point is that on a lake you have more time to learn.

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey Toni - I will stop and say hi then...
"One more......."

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:06 pm

A true river fisherman can read a river any river like a book. I spent many hours on two of the best rivers in Oregon with the best salmon/steelhead angler I have ever seen (sorry swede) and he taught me what to look for and I took that and practised on my own and pretty soon it all came together :cheers: I would start at the libary there are some good guides to river fishing I don't remember the ones my friend let me read but they should be easy to find.

But the most important part is reading the river and feeling it and that only comes with hours on the water.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:16 pm

Time on the water leads to experience, which far outweighs knowledge....

Keep putting in time, keep reading up on tactics, locations, etc., and hit the water some more. Hit up some seminars, ask around and look at what other are doing. There are a lot of things you can do to be a better angler..

You can fish the rivers year round, so you should have some good opportunities available to you.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:45 pm

A9 wrote:Time on the water leads to experience, which far outweighs knowledge....

Keep putting in time, keep reading up on tactics, locations, etc., and hit the water some more. Hit up some seminars, ask around and look at what other are doing. There are a lot of things you can do to be a better angler..

You can fish the rivers year round, so you should have some good opportunities available to you.

There are going to be seminars at the Washington Sportsmen's Show.Check it out.

seminar

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 pm

I fish the rivers often and they are never the same floods make new holes new drifts I have two years in the river fishing but i am still learnig so dont give up if u can go to the sportsmens shows they can help u a little
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU