Grubs:best color, length, and brand?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TravisRush
Commander

Grubs:best color, length, and brand?

Post by TravisRush » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 am

What is your take on grubs as far as color, brand, and length are concerned? What are the best/your favorites?

More importantly, what should I get? #-o

Proverb
Warrant Officer

RE:Grubs:best color, length, and brand?

Post by Proverb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:41 am

I usually only fish with grubs haven't got any on those darn senkos everyone talks about. My favorites are two have one light, and one dark. I like to get a bright yellow or green with speckles and a green/brown or pumpkinseed. I try both for 15 casts and see which one they are biting for the day/evening and go with that one. I also added one dark with twin tails (it was on sale) and it worked nicely too. Gary Yamamoto is my favorite brand but I've only tried 3 brands (Gulp!, Renegade, and Gary).
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:36 am

Yamamoto is the best, I feel. They hav great action and any color you want. They have them up to like 8''. I use the 5'' smoke with black flake and chart. w/black flake. But check out bait.com, that is yamamotos website.

Proverb-you need to buy some senkos and try them. You are missing out for sure!!!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:38 am

5" 176 yamamoto super grub or the 10" yamamoto grub.(not as big as you would think). I also like the hula grubs too. Zoom in green pumpkin was a close second. Dont really fish grubs too often anymore but they used to be my favorite bait.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:42 am

I agree BPM, I had luckl yesterday with hula grub. Off the topic, but BPM you are Bruce's Bassin' Essentials right? I just found those on main page. I feel dumb I had not noticed them before. I have always noticed your knowledge in posts on here and NWBASSER but those are great. I have been reading them since this morning. Last 2 hrs. Great information and everybody should check them out for sure!!!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:15 am

Delyakguy yeah I've expanded my tackle box the last two summers and I have some of those worms everyone fawns over. I am able to rig them texas and wacky but not one bite on them yet... so I don't use them often. But I keep trying just incase. I prefer my grubs any day... but I don't catch huge fish like the people on this forum (yet).

TravisRush
Commander

Post by TravisRush » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:26 am

Thank you all! Going to Joe's right now!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 am

For smallies, I like 3-inch in brown or copper (crawdad colors). Brand doesn't matter for me. The best i've ever used was taken out of the clearance bin at K-mart--I think they were Kalins
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:36 pm

delyakguy wrote:I agree BPM, I had luckl yesterday with hula grub. Off the topic, but BPM you are Bruce's Bassin' Essentials right? I just found those on main page. I feel dumb I had not noticed them before. I have always noticed your knowledge in posts on here and NWBASSER but those are great. I have been reading them since this morning. Last 2 hrs. Great information and everybody should check them out for sure!!!
lol no Bruce's bassin essentials are Bruce. I am not sure if he actually posts here or not. The man surely has years and years of experience and knowledge over my own.

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Keep at it Proverb. Yamamoto grubs produced my biggest SM, almost 5lbs.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravisRush
Commander

Post by TravisRush » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Now, what size hooks can I use on these Zoom Fat Albert grubs? I bought chartreuse pepper as well as green pumpkin. Also bought some tubes (my new go-to flippin bait)

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:10 pm

If your fishing lake sammie (maybe other clearish lakes), i'd go with clear grubs. I caught two today on them, look at my report!
The only problem i have with them is i have small ones, 3 or 4 inches and the perch love them also.
They're Yamamotos and salt impregnated.

Its kinda funny i found this post, i was just going to post one asking where i can find larger versions of what im talking about.
So if anyone knows....

TravisRush
Commander

Post by TravisRush » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:12 pm

What size hook do you use JT? I got the 3-4 inch ones as well, just not GY.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Ooh i'm really not sure. I fished them with these light jig heads with large hooks, they look funny, but really help keep perch off. I will try to find something online thats similar and post back though.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:27 pm

I cant find anything. All i remember is a bought them at mardon resorts bait shop :( But i did go to the Yamamoto site and the color im using isnt called clear, its called luminous white.
http://www.baits.com/cgi-bin/order/40-20
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:57 pm

JT26 wrote:If your fishing lake sammie (maybe other clearish lakes), i'd go with clear grubs. I caught two today on them, look at my report!
The only problem i have with them is i have small ones, 3 or 4 inches and the perch love them also.
They're Yamamotos and salt impregnated.

Its kinda funny i found this post, i was just going to post one asking where i can find larger versions of what im talking about.
So if anyone knows....
On Yamamoto's website they have grubs up to 10". The luminous white color is available on several differnt baits, including 5" and 6" grubs.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Proverb wrote:Delyakguy yeah I've expanded my tackle box the last two summers and I have some of those worms everyone fawns over. I am able to rig them texas and wacky but not one bite on them yet... so I don't use them often. But I keep trying just incase. I prefer my grubs any day... but I don't catch huge fish like the people on this forum (yet).
What size senko are you using? I've had WAY better luck with 4" than 5". Lots of guys say big bait = big fish, but my biggest largmouth this year was caught with a 4" weightless senko. For smallmouth, the 4" senko is definitely the way to go.

If it's cloudy or you're fishing in low-light conditions, try watermelon w/black & red flake. If the sun is bright, go with green pumpkin w/black flake.

I consider the weightless senko to be a finesse bait. If you are impatient and fish fast, you're not going to catch many fish. Twitch, twitch, pause. (repeat as necessary) Don't be afraid to mix it up. If twitching and pausing isn't working, try crawling it along the bottom real slow. Get creative and the bass will let you know what they prefer -- and it varies depending on a buh-zillion factors... #-o
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:11 am

I agree Hillbillygeek, I have had more luck with 4''. Green pumpkin with green & purple flakes have been most productive for me. Caught my largest SM to date and several nice LM. It was 4''.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:45 am

HillbillyGeek wrote:I consider the weightless senko to be a finesse bait. If you are impatient and fish fast, you're not going to catch many fish. Twitch, twitch, pause. (repeat as necessary) Don't be afraid to mix it up. If twitching and pausing isn't working, try crawling it along the bottom real slow. Get creative and the bass will let you know what they prefer -- and it varies depending on a buh-zillion factors... #-o
That has been trully one of the things I have to metally tell myself when using the weightless senko "slow down" I tend to be a bit impatient but as with everything it is a learning process and one day it will get through my skull. I also have been using the 5" senkos ... am going to pick up some 4" and see what the difference.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm

doesnt matter what color it is, as long as its green pumpkin! haha
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus