Atlantic Salmon -- Stocked Anywhere?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
No_Bad_Skunks
Petty Officer

Atlantic Salmon -- Stocked Anywhere?

Post by No_Bad_Skunks » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:22 am

I keep reading about these fish in the WA Regs pamphlet. Are they all escapees, or is there any place in Washington that has them stocked? ( There's a couple of lakes in Oregon where they are )

Thanx

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Atlantic Salmon -- Stocked Anywhere?

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 pm

This question would be a good one to call the F & W about.

I am not sure, but I seem to recall that there is an introduced run of Alantics that took in Northern California, and that they have spread, although somewhat limited, to a place or two in Oregon and perhaps a small run in Washington.

If I remember the article I saw, can't find it now to save my soul, the State had the liberal opportunities to try to catch and keep them in an effort to try to stop them from establishing in our waters.

With all of the "not sure" and "if" you see above, I sure would not use my memory as a quotable source.:-#
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:53 pm

for some reason i remember some being in Idaho as well......
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Every once in a while one is caught while fishing for silvers in the Green River.

Mud Duck
Petty Officer

Post by Mud Duck » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Yep, caught one on the Green at the Car Body Hole some years ago.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Mud Duck wrote:Yep, caught one on the Green at the Car Body Hole some years ago.
The one you caught wasn't stocked by the WDFW, but a refugee from a ripped net pen.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't know if they are still in there but Pass Lake up by Deception Pass used to get stocked with them. As I remeber they grew rather large in there for a small lake.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:06 pm

You might try QFC or Albertsons. Freddies always has a sale on them.:salut:

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 am

About 7 years ago maybe more a large pen off Bainbridge got opened and a lot of Atrlantics got free.They (WDFW) opened up a fishery so you could catch as many Atlantics as you could.For a week we fished offshore at Eagle Harbor and Faye B. State park catching them.Just recently I believe in the northern sound another pen was opened and more were freed.I'm sure they said that the bad thing is that they will contaminate local salmon stocks in the breeding beds.That 1 year I bet we caught 30 of them in that first week.I heard because they are farm raised they wont breed or spawn.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:42 am

The WDFW has this article on Atlantic Salmon which I am sure some of you have seen. It sounds like they raise them for consumer sales and don't want to release them because of the impact they might have on other salmon in our waters. Not sure how that works but it sounds like the State of WA makes big money raising Atlantic Salmon for consumers. Here is the web page if anyone is interested. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/atlantic/manage.htm
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:28 am

racfish wrote:About 7 years ago maybe more a large pen off Bainbridge got opened and a lot of Atrlantics got free.They (WDFW) opened up a fishery so you could catch as many Atlantics as you could.For a week we fished offshore at Eagle Harbor and Faye B. State park catching them.Just recently I believe in the northern sound another pen was opened and more were freed.I'm sure they said that the bad thing is that they will contaminate local salmon stocks in the breeding beds.That 1 year I bet we caught 30 of them in that first week.I heard because they are farm raised they wont breed or spawn.
How did those escaped Atlantics taste?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:11 pm

I like the Atlantic salmon.They have a higher oil content then other salmon varieties have.Its Costcos main salmon.It was very tasty and even smoked well.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:26 pm

racfish wrote:About 7 years ago maybe more a large pen off Bainbridge got opened and a lot of Atrlantics got free.They (WDFW) opened up a fishery so you could catch as many Atlantics as you could.For a week we fished offshore at Eagle Harbor and Faye B. State park catching them.Just recently I believe in the northern sound another pen was opened and more were freed.I'm sure they said that the bad thing is that they will contaminate local salmon stocks in the breeding beds.That 1 year I bet we caught 30 of them in that first week.I heard because they are farm raised they wont breed or spawn.
Same thing happened with a pen around Port Orchard about 10 years ago. They really didn't care how you caught them as long as they were getting in your boat.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm

they stock pass lake with them but its fly fishing only. :thumbdown
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:17 am

I also got one in the Green several years back. Tasted very good.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:58 am

Pass lake ???? I'll be up there this weekend buying berries.I like going through there on my way to Skagit Valley.I'll take my Fly pole.Can you keep fish out of Pass Lake or is it C&R only.?

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 pm

c&r only and only single barbless hooks also fly fishing only
hurdle the dead and trample the weak