Night fishing from a float tube - a question

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
AaronE
Commander

Night fishing from a float tube - a question

Post by AaronE » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:18 am

The WDFW site doesn't seem to be working right now so wanted to see if anyone had the regs nearby to answer a question. I'm at work and don't have my book handy.

If I were to go nightfishing in a float tube, do I need to have the legal running lights that an actual boat is required to have?

Anyone know? Bueller? Bueller?
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Night fishing from a float tube - a question

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:14 pm

No, unpowered boats, like canoes, rowboats, etc., don't need them, but............................................................

I would advise that you have a white light just in case some person came boating up on you and did not know you were there. The results would be disastrous if you did not have a way to notify them.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:33 pm

AaronE wrote:The WDFW site doesn't seem to be working right now so wanted to see if anyone had the regs nearby to answer a question. I'm at work and don't have my book handy.

If I were to go nightfishing in a float tube, do I need to have the legal running lights that an actual boat is required to have?

Anyone know? Bueller? Bueller?
I can guarantee that the WDFW regs booklet have nothing regarding whether you need to have lights or not on your watercraft, when fishing at night.

That sort of thing would probably be dictated by local ordinance, the Dept of Motor Vehicles, the Washington Administrative Code (WAC), and/or common sense.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:No, unpowered boats, like canoes, rowboats, etc., don't need them, but............................................................

I would advise that you have a white light just in case some person came boating up on you and did not know you were there. The results would be disastrous if you did not have a way to notify them.
I second that. Also it's good to have a whistle around your neck for an audible signal as well.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

Bruce Nelson
Petty Officer

Post by Bruce Nelson » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Aaron,

I work in the maritime industry and I know that the COLREGS just say you would need to display a white light in sufficient time to avoid a collision. So probably a flashlight or lantern if someone was near you.

Bruce Nelson

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:07 pm

When you obtain your BEC (Boater Education Card) this topic will be covered. section 2.8.3...looks like you are good without permanent lights, but like Anglinarcher said....better to have to many than not enough for safety!! i'm working on the link....there we go.....this is from one of the online courses to complete your BEC....

http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/washington/education

2.8.3 VESSELS UNDER OARS OR PADDLES

Vessels under oars or paddles should exhibit the same navigation lights as sailing vessels if practical. However, un-powered vessels less than 23 feet are only required to have on-hand, one lantern or flashlight shining a white light.
NAVIGATION LIGHT REQUIREMENTS FOR VESSELS UNDER OARS OR PADDLES AND SAILBOATS UNDER 23 FEET

ROW BOAT

SAIL BOAT

CANOE

2.8.3.1 FLASHLIGHTS
Flashlight
A flashlight should always be aboard any vessel at all times. One cannot predict when navigation lights will burn out or when day-trips will last through nightfall — a flashlight helps in preparation for unforeseen situations.

2.8.4 VESSELS AT ANCHOR

Vessels less than 7 meters (about 23 feet) are required to display an all-around white anchor light when anchored in or near a channel, in an area not designated as an anchorage area, or where other vessels normally navigate. This includes all boatable Commonwealth waters.

hope it helps....
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 pm

When I spoke with a Sheriff about this matter years ago my 14ft. boat was in compliance having a lantern that was visible 360 degrees (must be visible the whole time on the water after dusk), a flashlight (for signaling), and a whistle on board. Remember some yahoos hit the bottle and throttle at all times of day and a little extra light will help keep you safe.
Wally World had a clamp on white pole light for under $20. They run on batteries and stand about 24" tall. This is legal for a small craft anchored or making no wake at night.
Take a kid fishing and make some reel memories.

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'll be picking up an LED lantern tomorrow afternoon, will figure out a way to make it as visible as possible on the tube. Already have a flashlight and another smaller LED light so I should be good to go.
=====================

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:00 pm

gian wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote:No, unpowered boats, like canoes, rowboats, etc., don't need them, but............................................................

I second that. Also it's good to have a whistle around your neck for an audible signal as well.
that and an small compressed air horn lol....they were pretty affordable, almost bought one

good to know that I dont actually have to have the legal lighting like a stern and bow light, so now Im just gonna get one light on pole and some reflective tape....and some other various lighting to see by
Snakes dont have any arms that's why they dont wear vests - Stephen Wright

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:06 pm

AaronE wrote:Thanks, everyone. I'll be picking up an LED lantern tomorrow afternoon, will figure out a way to make it as visible as possible on the tube. Already have a flashlight and another smaller LED light so I should be good to go.
If you are using a float tube you might want to get a couple of those red flashing lights that bicyclists use and just tie them around the tube., maybe one on each side and one on the back. I plan on looking around tomorow to see how I can deck my pontoon out

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:When you obtain your BEC (Boater Education Card) this topic will be covered.

cept that the BEC is only required for vessells of 15 or more horsepower, so those of us who just paddle wont necessarily be getting the card.....good idea to get it though

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm thinking about doing some night fishing tonight with the warm front that is passing through the Northwest. Any suggestions on some lakes/spots to try from shore? I live around the Renton area..I guess Lk Washington but anyone know the regs or have a link to "night fishing in WA" Coulon closes at 10 pm...

I'm trying to target Crappie, Catfish, Bluegill, and some Bass..
Go Huskies!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Just a reminder regarding the regs. If you don't have a paper copy, you know there is a link provided at the top of this website. Also AaronE I fish a lot in my tube at night on small neighborhood lakes. Good idea to get a forhead mounted LED spot light. This is an absolute when it comes to seeing what you're doing, and tying knots.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:11 pm

quadradomus wrote:Just a reminder regarding the regs. If you don't have a paper copy, you know there is a link provided at the top of this website. Also AaronE I fish a lot in my tube at night on small neighborhood lakes. Good idea to get a forhead mounted LED spot light. This is an absolute when it comes to seeing what you're doing, and tying knots.
Yep, I've got a LED headlamp, has both white LEDs and 3 blacklight LEDs for making fluorescent line glow all night long. I've also got a red LED device that clips to the back of my hat and it blinks, making it easy to see me from behind.

If you ever want some company on those neighborhood lakes, holler! :bounce:
=====================