Jon boat on Lake Roosevelt.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
knika
Petty Officer

Jon boat on Lake Roosevelt.

Post by knika » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Do I dare take my 12 ft. Jon boat on Lake Roosevelt this spring and summer? It would be my first time on the lake and I don't know where to go either. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jack [thumbup]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Jon boat on Lake Roosevelt.

Post by Amx » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Don't go very far, and watch the wind, even a breeze on that lake can get bad.
Tom.

Interests: living

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 am

In my opinion...which, living in a house full of women is usually wrong I offer the following. A lot of days a small boat is perfectly safe on Roosevelt but you really have to pay attention to the forecast and watch the weather. Even a big boat with an experienced skipper can get in trouble.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to take your 12' Jon boat to Roosevelt (then again as a young adult I used to take a 14' Columbian 10, 12-15 miles out of Neah Bay or La Push. In thinking back, that was nuts!). You could camp at Spring Canyon and use that as your launch pad. If the weather is good you could easily fish the area out in front of the Spring Canyon CG. If the weather's is questionable at all there is an inner basin and bay at the Spring Canyon launch that is very well protected. I have seen some very large RBT and a few nice Kokanee caught inside the log-boom. There is also a rock pile just upstream from the ramp that holds smallmouth and the bay is rumored to hold bugeyes. For some variety you could even hop over and fish Banks just a few minutes away.

In closing; enjoy your boat just make good decisions. Have all your equipment in top-notch condition, PFDs on or handy and again make good decisions. Roosevelt is an increadible fishery and is absolutely beautiful. One of my favorite fishing destinations!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:54 am

Pick your days, stay in protected areas, and nothing to fear. Don't go anywhere you wouldn't be able to make it to safety if the wind picked up.

I'd recommend Ft. Spokane/Two Rivers Marina area, it's well protected from most wind, has a long no-wake zone that also has good fishing, and is narrow enough you can quickly reach the shore if necessary.

Wind can pick up without warning and go from flat calm to no place a 12' boat (and even many larger ones) should be. I've fished some rough water there but have a boat than can handle just about anything Mother Nature can dish out...
morewhitewater.jpg
This was at the dock after we ended the day, note the white caps inside the marina at Seven Bays...
whitecaps.jpg
We were fishing 15miles downstream when the windstorm hit, but didn't pack it in and run for cover. Need to know your boat, skill, and limitations.

This, of course, is an extreme example. No reason at all to not enjoy fishing in your boat. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:37 am

Back in the '90s we were fishing a Qualifier Bass tourney on Roosevelt. The first day got REAL windy, jumping waves in the 18' Bass Boat. No problem for those of us with a quality boat, but some were having trouble. That evening they canceled the second day. The next morning the water was a flat as can be. And no problems all day, oh well.
Tom.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:11 am

I stopped using a Jon boat (12 foot) when I leaned out over the corner and it went underwater... Not a lot of freeboard. Wear your life vest!

knika
Petty Officer

Post by knika » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Thank you all for the advice and the locations. I am grateful to you all.

Jack

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Knika there has been some great advise here for ya and there is just one thing that I could add. If I were fishing from a smaller boat I would carry along something that made more noise than the whistle that is required, something like a can air horn also I would carry one of those hand held red flags. There are a lot of folks that fish Roosevelt every day of the week and most folks that I have meet are great people that would help out anybody in trouble, you just need to get their attention by waving the flag or sounding the horn. Roosevelt is a fun place to fish and it's not crowded. Good luck and stay safe, You will do just fine.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:46 am

hewesbob wrote:Knika there has been some great advise here for ya and there is just one thing that I could add. If I were fishing from a smaller boat I would carry along something that made more noise than the whistle that is required, something like a can air horn also I would carry one of those hand held red flags. There are a lot of folks that fish Roosevelt every day of the week and most folks that I have meet are great people that would help out anybody in trouble, you just need to get their attention by waving the flag or sounding the horn. Roosevelt is a fun place to fish and it's not crowded. Good luck and stay safe, You will do just fine.
Great advice Bob and I'll add one more. I can't count the number of times I've been out cruising along at 30 - 32mph in a light chop and notice something but not clearly able to make out what it is. Yep, low free board boats just blend right in with the horizon. Would be a great idea to put up a flag like you see on 4 wheelers in the dunes, anything to elevate your presence on the water and increase visibility.

Won't be a problem in the Ft. Spokane/Two Rivers area, down around Porcupine Bay, or even along the shoreline either side of Seven Bays for that matter. Over the main channel from Two Rivers to Lincoln different story altogether.

Worst case I ever saw was three extra large adults near the reservation side across from Seven Bays. There couldn't have been 6" of what looked to be a 12' boat above the water and not a one wearing a PFD. A small wake would have swamped the boat. [sad]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Yup, even 14'-16' boats can blend in with the back ground. Had that happen to me back in Nov. I was going straight towards the boat on my way to check for a friend down the lake heading to the spot he likes to fish, and an aluminum boat blended in with the docks and houses onshore. Surprised me, and that boat operator didn't like it. But I don't blame him. I was about 200' away at 50 mph. Maybe we all should have orange boats. :-)
Tom.

OldFishGuy
Petty Officer

Post by OldFishGuy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Kinda changing the subject, but I am planning to fish Roosevelt in a smaller (14') as well. Since I don't have downriggers, I'm wondering how I should rig up for trolling for Rainbows and/or Koks ?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:43 pm

OldFishGuy wrote:Kinda changing the subject, but I am planning to fish Roosevelt in a smaller (14') as well. Since I don't have downriggers, I'm wondering how I should rig up for trolling for Rainbows and/or Koks ?
It's best to put this question in the 'trout and kok' forum. :)
Tom.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Or read some Roosevelt reports, most of them contain good info. You don't need downriggers to fish Roosevelt, I've fished it for years without using mine, matter of fact I prefer not to use them. Simplest method? Leaded line 3 colors out with a 50' leader. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System