Transplant from Minnesota

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mickcermak
Petty Officer

Transplant from Minnesota

Post by mickcermak » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to the area and trying to understand if there are any winter opportunities to fish salmon from the shore on the Sound. Not looking for spots just a sense of what my options are in November, December in terms of species and general locations. Also need some help with outfitting the right rod/reel combo, line, typical lures, etc. Basically I'm a complete beginner when it comes to salmon fishing, saltwater, trout...looking forward to learning the whole new style of fishing.

Thanks for the help!

Mick

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Transplant from Minnesota

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am

Hi Mick and welcome to the great Pacific Northwest! Im not going to be a lot of help because I dont do a lot of winter salmon fishing and the little I do is from boat.

As far as I know, your best bet at the moment will probably be chum near one of the river/creek mouths. However, I think the run is about over in the Sound.

Winter blackmouth season should be starting pretty soon but the problem there is that those fish tend to stay in deeper water and well off shore.

Coho/silver salmon tend to run close to shore in shallower water but that season is over until spring some time.

I would suggest you take a look at the fishing report section. You can filter reports for the species you are interested in. That will let you see if and where people are catching them at the moment.

That said, it is fishing so you never know what you might luck into when you cast out there! Good luck!

Oh - be sure to check the current regs for the area you will be fishing AND check on-line for any emergency rules changes. There have been lots of emergency rules changes this year - so dont get a ticket :)

mickcermak
Petty Officer

Post by mickcermak » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks Larry

For Reel
Petty Officer

Post by For Reel » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:03 am

Just do some research online and find out who the locals are and start picking their brains for ideas.

As all ready stated you catch them in the Ocean, Puget Sound, and rivers.

If you google creel report you can get an idea where the Salmon are. Just remember these numbers are a representative survey.

Good luck

For Reel

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 am

Where are you located? If you are near the south sound, you can fish the Nisqually for Chum. Relatively easy to catch, should be abundant (we'll maybe) and great starter salmon to learn on. If your dead set on fishing salt, then it's pretty much a boat thing right now. There are resident king salmon that stay in the sound. They are fishable, but the learning curve and equipment is high. (Need a boat, downriggers, etc.) There are also still some opportunities for steelhead in some rivers, and of course a bunch of options for trout and other species in the lakes and rivers. Really depends on where your at and what you want to get into. There are a lot of great guys and gals on this site that will be happy to get ya learning, and of course, you can never go wrong going with one of the fine guides from this site for an introduction to Great Northwest Fishing.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

mickcermak
Petty Officer

Post by mickcermak » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks guys - appreciate the insight. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. I'm not set on saltwater - actually tried the Green for chum this last weekend - no fish but I'm learning more each time. I've heard the NIsqually run is late so I might try that as well...I'm in Issaquah. I might hire a guide to go after Blackmouth - any recommendations would be appreciated.