Chumming with dry ice?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tnguyen5791
Angler

Chumming with dry ice?

Post by tnguyen5791 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:17 am

I don't know if this is legal or not, but can I throw dry ice under my boat to cool the temperature down a bit, hence attracting trouts with the "cool spot?" I know trouts prefer cool water, but this idea seems kind of suspicious for them. Has anyone ever tried it? I'm thinking dropping the dry ice at the bottom of my boat, then move 30ft away and cast into the dry ice spot after a while. I've never try it though.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Chumming with dry ice?

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:05 am

I dont think thats going to work very well at all :)

Firstly, you would need a ton of dry ice to significantly cool a large volume of water.

Second, the dry ice will sink to the bottom so you will get most of the cooling - what little there is - deep rather than shallow.

Third, the dry ice will put out a ton of bubbles which will likely scare the fish away.

Fourth, the fish will need to swim right through the cool water to know its there. They cant sense it from some other part of the lake. But they wont come close because of the bubbles/noise.

Finally, dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. As it sublimates into the water, you will be adding carbon dioxide to the water. Fish need oxygen to live, so you will be making the water essentially toxic to the fish. They wont want to stay around in water with less O2.

Plus Id be willing to bet most municipalities will frown on you putting that kind of thing in the water. It could easily be considered toxic dumping.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Chumming with dry ice?

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:17 am

Larry3215 wrote:I dont think thats going to work very well at all :)

Firstly, you would need a ton of dry ice to significantly cool a large volume of water.

Second, the dry ice will sink to the bottom so you will get most of the cooling - what little there is - deep rather than shallow.

Third, the dry ice will put out a ton of bubbles which will likely scare the fish away.

Fourth, the fish will need to swim right through the cool water to know its there. They cant sense it from some other part of the lake. But they wont come close because of the bubbles/noise.

Finally, dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. As it sublimates into the water, you will be adding carbon dioxide to the water. Fish need oxygen to live, so you will be making the water essentially toxic to the fish. They wont want to stay around in water with less O2.

Plus Id be willing to bet most municipalities will frown on you putting that kind of thing in the water. It could easily be considered toxic dumping.
Beat me to the punch while I was typing. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System