Wading boots

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dave M
Warrant Officer

Wading boots

Post by Dave M » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:55 am

Can anyone explain the difference in felt sole vs rubber? Is it a choice and comfort thing or are there different regs for different waters?
Thanks

fish vacuum
Petty Officer

Re: Wading boots

Post by fish vacuum » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:30 am

Felt grips better on slick rocks. WA doesn't yet have any restrictions on felt. Some states have banned felt because they believe it can transport invasive species. Seems pretty silly when you think about it. Invasive algae can get into the laces and fabric of your boots, not just the felt soles.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:00 am

Thanks.

MikeLFP
Petty Officer

Post by MikeLFP » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:20 am

Felt is awesome walking in the river and on rocks..Be careful walking in mud. Its like being in ice skates. Rubber soles better walikng in mud not nearly as good in river. My 2 cents.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:21 am

The only thing that I use a rubber soled wading boot for is wading salt water beaches for searun cutts.
Otherwise I woudn't go near them.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:54 am

fish vacuum wrote:Felt grips better on slick rocks. WA doesn't yet have any restrictions on felt. Some states have banned felt because they believe it can transport invasive species. Seems pretty silly when you think about it. Invasive algae can get into the laces and fabric of your boots, not just the felt soles.
I read somewhere that they think felt boots destroy the environment for micro life on the rocks.
I have a pair of rubber boots built into waders, I wear them on the Wallace and other places that have gravel. Felt is the only way to go for any rocky river.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. Good to know about mud vs rocks. I live near the green and the banks near me are pretty muddy an not many rocks. May end up with both eventually, since I want to get out to other rivers.

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:17 pm

I actually bit the dust a couple times in that green river mud due to my felt boots... But when your wading in the water you feel 10x safer than with rubber and thats what matters most.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:43 am

Dave M wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. Good to know about mud vs rocks. I live near the green and the banks near me are pretty muddy an not many rocks. May end up with both eventually, since I want to get out to other rivers.
I fish that system a lot as well. The only stretch that felt soles would be advantageous, is the upper stretch from HWY 18 and up. Otherwise, rubber treads is the way to go, especially on the lower river. They're better for hiking around also. I'd shy away from Korkers if you plan to fish anywhere where this is a lot of mud. I've had the rubber interchangeable soles pull out numerous times. Mud and debris builds up between the bottom of the boots and the soles causing them to pop off.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 am

Cant say I have fished it alot, just got into it last year, still do not know what I am doing. I am down by the golf course, but have heard getting up near 18 is better once it is open.

NWDrifter15
Angler

Post by NWDrifter15 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:36 pm

I like the Simms carbide cleats( screw in) have ten on each boot works great on rocks or mud