House Bill 1056

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Schenk
Petty Officer

House Bill 1056

Post by Schenk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:28 am

Hey folks,
I don't post much but this seems like a big deal.
Representative Haler has introduced a Bill that, if passed, would seriously affect a lot of access points to rivers and lakes many of us depend on.

This is a bad bill...poorly written and too broadly applied. It punishes the majority of Washington State recreational users of our rivers and lakes.

Please read this article: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... eid/32138/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then read the bill: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you disagree, or even agree, please write your Legislators!

schu7498
Commander

Re: House Bill 1056

Post by schu7498 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks for posting this. This bill would end public access on so many of our local rivers! Our public access is already shrinking, this proposed bill is going to make things worse.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for posting. Please everyone, read the two links and respond. This is a significant bill and our voices need to be heard! When you click on the link to the government site it gives you a simple form to fill out. You don't have to know what district you're in or who your legislator is, it fills it all in.

Here's my comment (and I opposed the bill):

Regarding House Bill 1056 requiring mandatory designated parking areas for access to all waterways in our state, I am opposed. This bill would severely restrict access to many locations on rivers in our state, limiting individuals from fishing and boating on our public rivers. There are hundreds, if not thousands of locations that would be affected by this bill. The effect would be less access for the public to locations that they have used for many years. So long as vehicles and the public are legally parking and accessing these locations, additional restrictions on access is unfair and unwarranted. I ask that this bill be rejected. Thank you for your attention, Sincerely, Michael Carey

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks Mike for the explanation on how easy it is to write and oppose this bill. this is just terrible legislation
Eat, sleep, fish

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Here's the response I got from my representative, very positive in support of access. That said, I think everyone needs to use the above link and let their representatives know their opinions on this bill:

Everyone is opposed. It's a stupid bill from Rep. Haler who must have an irritating constituent who lives next to the kind of spot he is trying to outlaw usage of. I don't support it.

Rep. Ross Hunter
Chair, Appropriations
ross.hunter@leg.wa.gov

Read my blog at http://www.rosshunter.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

315 John L. O'Brien Building
Capitol Campus
Olympia, WA 98504

Bellevue Office: (425) 453-3064 (June - January)
Olympia Office: (360) 786-7936 (January - May)

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Bill read.... What a slap in the face to the public.

Opposed, message sent!
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 pm

That bill is such a load. Message sent.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:05 am

of course its load of phewy, that's what they do........
read
message sent

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:11 am

I would like to see a bill that restricts these people from even proposing bills like this when they know nothing about the area's that would be affected or why people even park in these area's. Someone with deep pockets wants to impose their upon us. The scary part is just like with 594 money can buy any election with mis-information campaigns. Sometimes I get the feeling that the city folk would impose their will on us to point that no one anywhere can go to the woods or the rivers and have fun unless your are paying the people who makes these bills. I already paid them once.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:27 am

In this particular case I believe it's a rural home owner who continually complained to his representative about over parking along the Yakima next to his property. So what's the solution this Yakima representative comes up with? Make all access points have formal designated parking, or close it down. As if this state with it's constant money problems could ever afford to create hundreds (maybe thousands) of new parking lots in all these locations. So naturally what would really happen is they'd all be shut down.
If my rep has it right, no chance to pass. But we should still click that link and comment. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:53 am

Opposed, message sent!

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:46 am

Opposed, message sent!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Mike Carey wrote:In this particular case I believe it's a rural home owner who continually complained to his representative about over parking along the Yakima next to his property. So what's the solution this Yakima representative comes up with? Make all access points have formal designated parking, or close it down. As if this state with it's constant money problems could ever afford to create hundreds (maybe thousands) of new parking lots in all these locations. So naturally what would really happen is they'd all be shut down.
If my rep has it right, no chance to pass. But we should still click that link and comment. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...
they have already started, not from this bill. You used to be able to park right next to the hi [crying] way 2 bridge over the Wallace river. And now the access on Reese RD is shut down....

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:28 pm

strider43 wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:In this particular case I believe it's a rural home owner who continually complained to his representative about over parking along the Yakima next to his property. So what's the solution this Yakima representative comes up with? Make all access points have formal designated parking, or close it down. As if this state with it's constant money problems could ever afford to create hundreds (maybe thousands) of new parking lots in all these locations. So naturally what would really happen is they'd all be shut down.
they have already started, not from this bill. You used to be able to park right next to the hi [crying] way 2 bridge over the Wallace river. And now the access on Reese RD is shut down....
and parking at Big Eddy now cost money....

Schenk
Petty Officer

Post by Schenk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks everyone, I knew this would strike a chord with the membership here.
This is a supremely bad, ambiguous, and poorly written Bill which punishes the wrong group of people only to placate a few of Haler's constituents.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks for posting this, i read the links, i made my comment. I opposed. I violently disagree with placating one single person at the cost of everyone else. Its wrong and mr. Haler should be ashamed of himself.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:21 am

Opposed and message sent.

Strider43 - I'm "city folk", a 206er even, I oppose this and 594 as did a lot of "city folk" I know. We're not all out to get you and steal your outdoor fun, a lot of us get out of the city as much as work and other responsibilities allow.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:26 am

jd39 wrote:Opposed and message sent.

Strider43 - I'm "city folk", a 206er even, I oppose this and 594 as did a lot of "city folk" I know. We're not all out to get you and steal your outdoor fun, a lot of us get out of the city as much as work and other responsibilities allow.
sorry to lump you in the group but you know what I mean. it is a lot of the people who live downtown and in the burbs that think everything should be controlled by someone else. I don't believe I said anyone was out to get me.......

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:34 pm

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:46 am

strider43 wrote:
jd39 wrote:Opposed and message sent.

sorry to lump you in the group but you know what I mean. it is a lot of the people who live downtown and in the burbs that think everything should be controlled by someone else. I don't believe I said anyone was out to get me.......
No worries strider43, I have a sick compulsion and challenge any sweeping stereotypes/generalizations I come across. Should probably see a therapist about it. I try to avoid them but fall prey to that way of thinking myself, part of human nature I think. Anyhow don't want to derail the thread. We both oppose this bill!
Take care.