Ghost nets

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ghost nets

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:28 am

Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

shawn
Commander

RE:Ghost nets

Post by shawn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks for forwarding that to the site.But watching it sucks.I'm not a friend of gil nets at all.But that is a another thing.Thanks again.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:03 pm

More proof to the misuse of nets by commercial and tribal fishermen....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Another reason to hate gill nets.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:More proof to the misuse of nets by commercial and tribal fishermen....
I don't think they are misusing. They accidentally lose the nets and in WA there is a fine if you lose one. Not only are they out the cost of the net (up to $2500) but have a fine to deal with as well. What sense is that?
Now don’t get me wrong-I don’t like gill nets either.
It is not that way in Oregon. They call in and then someone goes out to try and find it.

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:15 pm

If they get rid of the fine, then people will be more likely to report lost nets, maybe save a few fish.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:48 pm

Toni wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:More proof to the misuse of nets by commercial and tribal fishermen....
I don't think they are misusing. They accidentally lose the nets and in WA there is a fine if you lose one. Not only are they out the cost of the net (up to $2500) but have a fine to deal with as well. What sense is that?
It is not that way in Oregon. They call in and then someone goes out to try and find it.
It's not too easy to lose a net...

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:53 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Toni wrote:
It's not too easy to lose a net...
Sam, just wondering. have you ever went on a gillnetter boat or worked on one?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:07 am

Negative. Talked with indians who gillnetters though....They told me it's tough to lose a net...

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:34 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Negative. Talked with indians who gillnetters though....They told me it's tough to lose a net...
If the net is old and the float line(I think thats what it is called) fails then it is possible for it to get away. The nets have to have up kept just like boats , if they aren't taken care of they fail.

This is just for me...is there a way that the commercial fishing (tribal and non-tribal) not use gill nets but still fish for a living?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:00 am

Toni wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:Negative. Talked with indians who gillnetters though....They told me it's tough to lose a net...
If the net is old and the float line(I think thats what it is called) fails then it is possible for it to get away. The nets have to have up kept just like boats , if they aren't taken care of they fail.
Then it's the negligence on the part of the netters for not keeping their gear in good condition.....](*,) ](*,)

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:47 am

That is horrible to watch but a grim reality. I do feel Native Americans deserve the treaties they signed, but gill netting need to be outlawed for everyone. The daily devestaion to the whole eco system must stop. For being at the top of the food chain us humans are pretty dumb.:-#

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:22 am

Thanks for posting this. I did a presentation at Gonzaga about Ghost nets destroying our ecosystem. Thanks again for posting this information because it really does have a drastic impact on all fisheries.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:44 pm

Good video Toni thanks for sharing. Those nets do get really expensive. I worked at a batting cage for 3 years in high school. The nets brand new for the entire batting cage was in the $20,000 range. We tried to buy used ones from fisherman and they were still too expensive to get new ones.

They have a similar problem with commercial crab pots that get lost. Acctually not just commercial all lost crab pots. There is a few people that are allowed to retrieve them, but there is a lot of B.S. you have to go through to retrieve abandoned pots. The state says even though the pots are abandoned, they are still someones and its the same as steeling if you retrieve their pots w/o the right permits, stupid.