Where will you go on opening day?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
JimLyons
Petty Officer

Where will you go on opening day?

Post by JimLyons » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:53 pm

It is never to early to start planning for the spring opener. I will either go to Medical or Amber here in Eastern Washington. I will also take my kids to the Medical Lake Fisherman's Breakfast for the 4th year in a row at the Firehouse. I used to go to North Silver and fish at midnight and then go to the breakfast. I think they have had it for 40 years in a row. I have been known to hit 4 lakes on the opener. That is one of the benefits of catch and release. With the cold and ice here in Spokane, we sure do appreciate what we have in the spring summer and fall. My friends ask me if we have four seasons in Spokane, and I tell them no that we have three seasons. Winter, July and August! Come on team, dream outloud about opening day:compress:
Jim

danielt
Commander

RE:Where will you go on opening day?

Post by danielt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:14 pm

Do the seasonal lakes on that side get as nuts as they do on this side?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:19 pm

i'm thinking mineral lake will be my spot come the opener. haven't fished it in awhile and i know there's some big trout swimming those waters
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Last year I finally made it to quincy for the march 1st opener and have plans to make that trip happen again, great fishing. I have always wanted to make it out to the seep lakes for the april 1st opener, but have nver actually made it. Last year I was out there on april 10, so hopefully this year I can make it for the acctual opener. Every other year other than last year I travled some where and camped for the opener. Last year I just went to a local lake (steel lake, federal way). It cost way less, not as many crowds and I still was able to catch 14 planters, not the best fishing but a lot easier. I will probally do the same this year, then just like last year get to Lake mineral the weekend after the opener. But we still have a little ways to go and a lot can change, so for now I am just crossing my fingers

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 pm

I will go anywhere that is not a seasonal lake on the Opening day. I just can't stand the crowds and the fishing is usually better elsewhere as well.#-o :-#
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm going to go to Sprague Lake. #-o

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:47 pm

The seasonal lakes are to crazy, I'll probably fish my secret lake around that time and hopefully get some nice kokes.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:38 pm

IM ACTUALLY PLANNING A POTHOLES TRIP FOR OPENING DAY! IT IS A YEAR ROUND LAKE, BUT, HOME TO SOME WHOPPER RAINBOWS. I CANNOT TAKE THE CROWDS ANYMORE EITHER. IF INTERESTED GPC, WE ALSO HIT 2-3 SEEP LAKES (MARCO POLO, VIRGIN) DURING THE WEEK-END. CAMP IN A COTTAGE (SLEEPS 8-12), SPLIT GAS, FOOD EXPENSES (COMES TO AROUND $60 PER GUY FOR 2 NIGHTS LODGING, GAS, GROCERIES). IM GOING TO HAVE MY BOAT THERE, AND AS THE OTHER 4 GUYS THAT ARE INTERESTED FIRM UP THIER PLANS, IM SURE THERE WILL BE AT LEAST 3 MORE BOATS (THEY ALSO HAVE NEWER RENTALS). IVE BEEN DOING THIS EVERY OPENING DAY SINCE 1990 (EXCEPT WHEN I WAS WORKING OVERSEAS). AVOIDS THE CROWDS, CATCH WHOPPER TROUT, BUT, ALSO, MAY CATCH SOME WALLEYE, PERCH, AND EARLY SEASON SMALLIES! PM IF INTERESTED. AND BILL, IF I RUN OUT OF MY MEDICATION, I WILL JOIN YOU AT SPRAGUE!:clown:

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:51 pm

michaelunbewust wrote:IM ACTUALLY PLANNING A POTHOLES TRIP FOR OPENING DAY! IT IS A YEAR ROUND LAKE, BUT, HOME TO SOME WHOPPER RAINBOWS. I CANNOT TAKE THE CROWDS ANYMORE EITHER. IF INTERESTED GPC, WE ALSO HIT 2-3 SEEP LAKES (MARCO POLO, VIRGIN) DURING THE WEEK-END. CAMP IN A COTTAGE (SLEEPS 8-12), SPLIT GAS, FOOD EXPENSES (COMES TO AROUND $60 PER GUY FOR 2 NIGHTS LODGING, GAS, GROCERIES). IM GOING TO HAVE MY BOAT THERE, AND AS THE OTHER 4 GUYS THAT ARE INTERESTED FIRM UP THIER PLANS, IM SURE THERE WILL BE AT LEAST 3 MORE BOATS (THEY ALSO HAVE NEWER RENTALS). IVE BEEN DOING THIS EVERY OPENING DAY SINCE 1990 (EXCEPT WHEN I WAS WORKING OVERSEAS). AVOIDS THE CROWDS, CATCH WHOPPER TROUT, BUT, ALSO, MAY CATCH SOME WALLEYE, PERCH, AND EARLY SEASON SMALLIES! PM IF INTERESTED. AND BILL, IF I RUN OUT OF MY MEDICATION, I WILL JOIN YOU AT SPRAGUE!:clown:
Last year when I was there on the 10th we stayed at Mar don. We had the spot right next to the dock so we were able to fish right from our spot, that was pretty nice. They were killing the big trout but we only got 1 it was still a nice 21" bow though. We also fished the hamptons, only the first 1 though and walked a way with a 16" bow. They are supposed to be re habbing a few of the seep lakes. I know corral is one of them and I think sage and maybe bob cat. Have you heard of this? If so do you know when they are going to do it? That would be pretty sweet if those lakes were fixed by then. I might just have to join you guys for that. Its a little too early to tell but I will keep you informed.

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 pm

Daniel,
It gets crazy over here you can walk across the lake on the boats at the seasonal put and take lakes like West Medical and Fishtrap. That is why I like the selective gear lakes like Mnedical and Amber. Far less pressure. Bigger Fish too!
Michael,
The Potholes sounds like a great idea. How many people do you have? Never been there but would love to go with some people who know it. I heard that it gets better as the weather warms up. I have a twelve foot aluminum boat. Some guys problem is they don't have enough fishing stuff. I have the opposite problem. I would love to go check it out.
Jim:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:I will go anywhere that is not a seasonal lake on the Opening day. I just can't stand the crowds
That is the way I feel or I might not even go opening day. Maybe I'll take a vacation day and go during the week.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:06 am

depending on how the weather has been, mardon resort or evergreen. plenty of lakes and fish to choose from both locations. <'//<

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:08 am

Anglinarcher wrote:I will go anywhere that is not a seasonal lake on the Opening day. I just can't stand the crowds and the fishing is usually better elsewhere as well.#-o :-#
Most go for the experience of just fishing on "opening day"
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 am

I will most likely be on Soda for opening day. Not many people and lots of good fish.
I do miss the fisherman's breakfast there in Medical lake. Glad to hear its still going on.
For those of you that want any info on Potholes and or the seep lakes, give me a shout.
I would be more than happy to help you out if I can.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

You guys are crazy.

Long is year-round. Although its dropping to 14' below summer level as of right now. Ill be here.

E

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote:I will go anywhere that is not a seasonal lake on the Opening day. I just can't stand the crowds and the fishing is usually better elsewhere as well.#-o :-#
I have no desire for the "experience" of opening day anymore. It is easier to get to the other side of the lake because you can just walk across the anchored boats. Opening day is ridiculous and only really productive for hatchery fish that have little or no value to me.

I'll probably be at Silver Lake opening day. Likely weeks before.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:59 pm

cavdad45 wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:
I have no desire for the "experience" of opening day anymore. It is easier to get to the other side of the lake because you can just walk across the anchored boats. Opening day is ridiculous and only really productive for hatchery fish that have little or no value to me.

I'll probably be at Silver Lake opening day. Likely weeks before.
Yep I agree with you. In fact most of the lakes I normally fish are year round or they are saltwater fisheries...It's just fun to be out there with a bunch of other boats, catching and releasing dozens of little stockers, and it's a fun once a year gig....Some can handle it, other can't....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:30 pm

without question on Opening day of trout season I will be at Banks lake fishing for Walleyes and as far away from that zoo they call a fishing experience. Never really got opening day. They take a bunch of fish from what is essentially a trout farm, throw 5,000 slimy hand fed creatures into a 30 acre lake and then watch 150 boats crowd each other to show off their master angling skills. No thanks, I will be fishing for Walleyes with the nearest boat being about 150 yards away.

Good fishing.

Joe
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:36 pm

JimLyons wrote:Come on team, dream outloud about opening day:compress:
Like a few others, I'll be anywhere but a lake that "opens" in the spring. I enjoy the fishing experience year-round without the zoo called opening day. IF we go out that particular weekend, it will be to a lake that didn't just open.#-o :-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Most likely Pine or Rattlesnake.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".