Float fishing presentation

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
denhambruce
Petty Officer

Float fishing presentation

Post by denhambruce » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 pm

Lately I've been fishing the bobber and jig more often. I love setting the hook after seeing that thing go under, there's just something about it... Anyways I've watched my presentation in the water close up and noticed my jig is often drifting slower than the float and lags behind down the river leadhead first. Its the same thing when I try floating a single bead or eggs even though I weight the leader with split shot. I know I'm mending correctly and the float is weighted properly so the obvious is ruled out. This bugs me because I want the fish seeing my presentation before my terminal gear. Any help from some experience float fisherman??

spoonman
Captain

Re: Float fishing presentation

Post by spoonman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:34 am

Current is moving slower down deeper. The deeper the water, the bigger difference in speed. Not really anything you can do until your jig gets downstream of you, then you can hold back a little bit.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:26 am

Don't sweat it. Just try to keep your (fluorocarbon) leader as long as possible.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 am

Also the larger the rocks on the floor, the more drastic the difference in currente speed between water columns.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:44 am

And keep that line off the water! Mend, Mend, Mend! (oh, you said that...) BTW, do you have braid on your reel? It floats and is the better choice for fishing floats, I believe.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 am

Yes I love braid it makes life so much easier when mending and making a strong hookset. Thanks for all your guys' help

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 am

Ive tried braid, but find i cracker off fish because of my aggressive hook set. I try to tone it down but its just muscle memory at this point. I use high vis izorline on my float setup

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:20 pm

spoonman wrote:Ive tried braid, but find i cracker off fish because of my aggressive hook set. I try to tone it down but its just muscle memory at this point. I use high vis izorline on my float setup
Dude, you must have one helluva arm! [woot]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

sjrose24
Petty Officer

Post by sjrose24 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 pm

spoonman wrote:Ive tried braid, but find i cracker off fish because of my aggressive hook set. I try to tone it down but its just muscle memory at this point. I use high vis izorline on my float setup
The bass master hookset is a tough habit to break.. lol ](*,)

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 pm

It was drilled in my head at a very young age. I was taught to try to hit myself in the butt with my rod tip on the hook set.