spiny ray fishery on Scooteney Reservoir...

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tluedeke
Petty Officer

spiny ray fishery on Scooteney Reservoir...

Post by tluedeke » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Sorta soliciting opinions on Scooteney Reservoir. A pretty much hardcore newbie, but thinking this place has serious fishing possibilities. To this point, I've pretty much discounted it as a gnarly carp shooting spot, but a third rate fishing spot.

However, after one boat trip, I've found it to be a particularly impressive spiny ray (i.e. warmwater species) lake, with really nice size bluegill (wrt/ the area), plus a wide range of species. Walleye/channel cats (in my experience) tend to be pretty small, but overall, one can seem to expect to experience catching a wide range of stuff.

W/o trying to troll for specific hot spots, I'd be really interested in hearing advice from y'all (frozen and liquid phases) regarding how to tackle this fascinating and interesting body of water!!

- Respects...

Tom

jbball50
Commander

Re: spiny ray fishery on Scooteney Reservoir...

Post by jbball50 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:40 am

I've only fished it twice for walleye. Both times we keyed in on the upper part of the reservoir. We did well the first time, catching a bunch of walleye and perch, the second time we only caught one walleye that was 18" or so. We trolled bottom bouncers in 6 to 20 feet of water around the upper islands. I just haven't fished it much since we usually go to potholes when my dad visits. Hard to get away from that with the amount of fish there are during the spring.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:42 am

It's not a heavily reported fishing location, but I have heard in years past it's spiny ray potential. 48 reports in the database, does appear to fish better in the fall:
scotney.jpg
scotney.jpg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 4835 times

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:32 pm

I think you may have found a few by now...

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:22 am

I have an article on page 6 in the lakes articles on this site that may help. It has been a while since I was there but probably most of it is about the same.