Skokomish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Skokomish

Post by natetreat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:57 am

Went to the Skok, it was dead. Was going to spend the weekend down there, but the river was literally EMPTY. WTH? I'd post a rant, but I'm done. How'd you do Fishbait, bonker, I know you guys where down there...

schu7498
Commander

Re: Skokomish

Post by schu7498 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:20 pm

A few dark fish were caught below 101 on eggs.Thats about it.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks for the report. Looks like I made the right decision to skip it.

I heard that the river got dredged with tribal nets. Any info as to when the nets are to be removed so as to let fish into the river?

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 pm

thats just a rumor. The river has been empty for a few days from the rain

lost360
Petty Officer

Post by lost360 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:23 pm

If your fish is coming in backwards and you hear beep beep its me lol the farm guys didn't like it to much

Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Post by Jhuynh2 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:08 pm

The river was netted for a fact, we also went out to the mouth on a boat and saw a huge net out there right near the mouth. Totally unfair b/c no fish will make it up the river and 10 sea lions driving all the fish into a corner and eating them. As a fisherman, we can't stop fishing that river b/c that's what the natives want. We gotta fish it and stand up for our rights to fish. I believe it was illegal to net near the mouth

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:00 pm

do worry nate, skok opener got the best of almost all of us, I was served my first skunk in what seemed like many many years there for kings, I did however miss a bite on eggs, felt like a jack that wasn't too sure if he wanted them yet I set the hook on nothing except a egg-less hook, very disappointing only seeing 1 fish caught from 4:51 to 7am when normally there are constant triple headers, also my hole is changed a lot and Minter creek slot is gone ](*,) IDk about this year, the fish are there, but they just aren't. ones in the bay are getting attacked by seals and nets, ones in the river are getting drag in by trebles and nets. this year I guess they are allowed to net from mouth all the way upstream or something. honestly kind of speechless about this whole ordeal

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:22 pm

I had high hopes after the last few openers, but this has been the least productive opener for me. Hiked up and down the river, and only managed to land one dark hen that I caught float fishing eggs. Saw a few really dark jacks hooked and landed, but that was it besides the numerous trout. Couldn't tell if there were fish in the tidewater below the guardrail hole, but I saw a bunch of dudes lined up on both sides of a side channel.
Last edited by losaturn on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:44 am

What days are they allowed to net ?

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:27 am

The net deal isn't a rumor. The nets were in until midnight before the opener. People texted me and told me about it and how that caused no fish to be there. Samish was dead as well.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

lost360
Petty Officer

Post by lost360 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Violence will only make it worse I call a group float on bails of straw on there netting days

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:33 pm

I was there the evening before opener and didnt see a single net. Are you talking about the mouth? Or are you saying they went out at night and put nets out?

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:36 pm

From what I was told the mouth was netted all the way across
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:42 pm

I didnt check the mouth personally. But i was there the evening before and didnt see a net in the river. Also talked to the fish processing guys who said it had been very slow that day and day prior. In fact they barely had any eggs to sell. Also talking with people that have been watching the river for days have said there hadnt been any fish around.

ResQ
Captain

Post by ResQ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Sounds similar to last year when they were doing "night ops" with a net at the mouth and boats corralling them up.

ResQ
Captain

Post by ResQ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Call it what you want, there are probably multiple things going on, but when there is an actual picture (nates picture on Gamefishin.com) of a net strung across THE ENTIRE RIVER, it does not look good. Especially with what happened last year on that river when everyone was wondering where the fish were.

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:04 pm

I got to the skok on saturday morning and it was on FIRE!!!
Drove down purdy, to the farm, Saw campfires everywhere [laugh] .
Didnt see any fish fish caught though.
Didnt bother going today. If it gets good, I might take a trip thursday and fish cedar or the clay banks.
I lost one hook. so I guess thats a good thing. If they are netting the mouth. I for one say COME ON SEALS. FREE FOOD!!!, EAT AS MANY AS YOU CAN. Take away there profits!!!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:01 pm

2014-08-01-16.23.21.jpg
2014-08-01-16.23.21.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 10693 times
They are netting everything below 106. I'm guessing that they complained and whined and said they would fight us in court and make us pay for tribal licenses if they didn't get to net down low. Which means that if the schedule is the same as last year, they will be netting weekdays, down low, but the river will also be closed up above 106/ There were also nets set up in the Cedar hole, down below that. But that means no fish can make it into the river.

We have a few extra days on the season, but this is going to kill this fishery. True, they have a huge surplus of fish, but they will ALL go to the tribe at this rate. The river was literally EMPTY, and I have never seen it so empty. I am disgusted.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:20 pm

So they get to net the mouth of river Mon thru Fri ? If that's true it is going to suck this year.

ResQ
Captain

Post by ResQ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Its absolutely disgusting. I cannot stand the comments of " its their river and we are allowed on it" blah blah blah blah. Watching the waste of that river from last year alone should have been enough to have their netting rights strictly regulated and reduced. I agree that there are some sporties that ruin it for a lot, but that tribe as a whole (and others as well) have completely degraded our entire fishery. We are seeing less and less of a return every year and yet every year their netting practices and snagging practices are getting worse. Coincidence? That goes for more than one river. Absolutely disgusting. What does my 90$ fishing license go towards when we run out of fish?