Coming to Seattle from UK - Fishing advice please

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
DaveBones
Petty Officer

Coming to Seattle from UK - Fishing advice please

Post by DaveBones » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:15 am

Hi,
I will be arriving in Seattle on 20th july for a 10 week work trip. I am passionate about CARP! Now I know you guys tend not to be big fans of Carp but does anyone have any recommendations or tips about where I can find some carp to fish for? I'm not after method tips just where carp are stocked and more importantly lakes which I can access from the shore without a boat.
I have read about Green lake but I'm not sure if Carp are present or not? I read that the authorities were going to electro-fish them out?
Thanks for reading and any help will be greatly appreciated!
Tight lines to you....Dave.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Coming to Seattle from UK - Fishing advice please

Post by natetreat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 am

You're talking my dirty little secret. Well, not a big one. Capr are plentiful in Lake Washington, Log Boom Park and some of the other parks will have lots of carp. Green lake, to the best of my knowledge still has carp in it, many of our lakes do. Most of our lakes do not allow you to chum, Lake Washington does. I don't know how you plan to fish for them, but chumming them to get them to feed is the best way. Check the regs for the lakes that allow chumming, cross reference that with reports of carp. There is a small bog in Shoreline that also has carp in it, Ronald Bog, there is a park there and carp will school up there. With Green Lake I have had the best success in the SW corner along the lily pads. But if you're going to come to Seattle for that long, you really should get out on the unique opportunities we have to offer. Salmon and steelhead will be in full swing during your stay, and our fishing is amazing for these things compared to the UK. We have a couple of awesome carp threads in here we can dig up too. I too love carping and look forward to your stay and swapping stories and reports!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Green Lake is loaded with Carp still.. they show themselves a lot, I see them on walks and bike rides at the lake.. I'm always scanning the water as we go there just to ride or walk.. the carp are very present from my view.

DaveBones
Petty Officer

Post by DaveBones » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 am

natetreat wrote:You're talking my dirty little secret. Well, not a big one. Capr are plentiful in Lake Washington, Log Boom Park and some of the other parks will have lots of carp. Green lake, to the best of my knowledge still has carp in it, many of our lakes do. Most of our lakes do not allow you to chum, Lake Washington does. I don't know how you plan to fish for them, but chumming them to get them to feed is the best way. Check the regs for the lakes that allow chumming, cross reference that with reports of carp. There is a small bog in Shoreline that also has carp in it, Ronald Bog, there is a park there and carp will school up there. With Green Lake I have had the best success in the SW corner along the lily pads. But if you're going to come to Seattle for that long, you really should get out on the unique opportunities we have to offer. Salmon and steelhead will be in full swing during your stay, and our fishing is amazing for these things compared to the UK. We have a couple of awesome carp threads in here we can dig up too. I too love carping and look forward to your stay and swapping stories and reports!
Hi nate..thanks for replying. I was actually hoping you would notice my post as you said Carp was your ''dirty secret'' lol in the other thread you started. good for you! For me, carp fishing is no secret!! I would call it almost an obsession!! I even have a tattoo on my arm of a leaping carp! lol. My best fish is a UK caught 48lb Mirror.

What do you mean by 'chum'? In England, chumming means towing an onion bag full of fishy mush behind a boat. I think my only option would be to fish from the shore on a nice carp filled lake so that doesn't apply to me??

I will go and check out the SW corner of Green Lake. I have to say that I was in Seattle about 12 years ago and I walked Green Lake but I was put off by all the joggers etc.

You are right about all the fishing that WA has to offer..it looks amazing. From my previous visit though, it seems that most fishing is done by boat which kind of limits me! I will be working with Boeing at Renton/Boeing Field for the duration of my stay so I will have to hope I get friendly with a fellow worker who can show me the best places to fish!

Cheers....Dave.

DaveBones
Petty Officer

Post by DaveBones » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:35 am

oneshot wrote:Green Lake is loaded with Carp still.. they show themselves a lot, I see them on walks and bike rides at the lake.. I'm always scanning the water as we go there just to ride or walk.. the carp are very present from my view.
Thanks for that info oneshot,
Can I just cast a line from anywhere on Green Lake? Or do you have to fish from certain places? I was in Seattle about 12 years ago and I walked around the lake with a view to fishing it but I was put off by the amount of joggers/skaters etc. I wasn't sure what I was or was not allowed to do.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:33 pm

theres few lakes up in my area that have carp n theryre pretty easy to catch... but dont limit yourself to lake fishing.. theres salmon fishing galore and you can catch plenty from the shore whether in the rivers or off the beaches or piers.. crabbing and crawdads... if ya ever wanna meet up n fish just let me know im lways willing to make a new fishing buddy n show the ropes...

DaveBones
Petty Officer

Post by DaveBones » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:06 am

countryboy87 wrote:theres few lakes up in my area that have carp n theryre pretty easy to catch... but dont limit yourself to lake fishing.. theres salmon fishing galore and you can catch plenty from the shore whether in the rivers or off the beaches or piers.. crabbing and crawdads... if ya ever wanna meet up n fish just let me know im lways willing to make a new fishing buddy n show the ropes...
Hi, thanks for the reply. Whereabouts is your area? Those lakes sound interesting! And meeting up for a fish sounds great! I think I'm due to fly 20th July and I will be staying in Renton. Give me a couple of weeks to get settled and buy a rod and i will come back on here and send you a message. Cheers mate!

dea
Petty Officer

Post by dea » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:24 am

Folks are still catching carp out of Blackmans Lake, in Snohomish, as well. I've not caught one. I don't specifically fish for carp only due to lack of experience.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Not a carp guy myself, but you do need the answer to what "chum" is. The official fishing regulations are available on line for Washington State, and you should be familiar with them, but they are so large you will never know them all. ](*,) There is a link on this site.

The official definition of "Chum" or "Chumming" is in the regulations, but the Layman's explanation is that it is any food or scent deposited in the water intending to or resulting in concentrating or attracting fish. In the case of Carp, when legal, many in our area use canned corn or fermented wheat cast into the area you intend to fish. During my time in Europe, I have seen maggots, or bolies if I recall their name, used by launching them with a sling shot or similar device into the area you intend to fish. I also recall dough baits being used for "chum" as well in Europe, but that was a LONG LONG time ago.

Hope this helps. Our idea of fishing is often quite different then our European brothers. Getting rods that even resemble what I recall as carp rods in Europe is not going to be easy. Still, if you do find what you need, I suspect you will find our carp plentiful, uneducated, and frankly most of us would prefer you catch and KEEP all you can. :-"

PS, my dirty little secret, I fished carp in Germany and yes, I loved it, but then again, there were not a lot of other options for me at the time and any fish is better then no fish. [flapper]

DaveBones
Petty Officer

Post by DaveBones » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:32 am

Anglinarcher wrote:Not a carp guy myself, but you do need the answer to what "chum" is. The official fishing regulations are available on line for Washington State, and you should be familiar with them, but they are so large you will never know them all. ](*,) There is a link on this site.

The official definition of "Chum" or "Chumming" is in the regulations, but the Layman's explanation is that it is any food or scent deposited in the water intending to or resulting in concentrating or attracting fish. In the case of Carp, when legal, many in our area use canned corn or fermented wheat cast into the area you intend to fish. During my time in Europe, I have seen maggots, or bolies if I recall their name, used by launching them with a sling shot or similar device into the area you intend to fish. I also recall dough baits being used for "chum" as well in Europe, but that was a LONG LONG time ago.

Hope this helps. Our idea of fishing is often quite different then our European brothers. Getting rods that even resemble what I recall as carp rods in Europe is not going to be easy. Still, if you do find what you need, I suspect you will find our carp plentiful, uneducated, and frankly most of us would prefer you catch and KEEP all you can. :-"

PS, my dirty little secret, I fished carp in Germany and yes, I loved it, but then again, there were not a lot of other options for me at the time and any fish is better then no fish. [flapper]
Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm getting more excited about this trip by the day! The fishing seems awesome in Washington! That's interesting what you say about 'chumming'. I am genuinely surprised that there is any restriction. To me, putting some free offerings in with a sling-shot or throwing stick (don't ask! - you probably wouldn't believe it! lol) is essential and just part and parcel of fishing for Carp. Now that I'm aware it might be an issue..............I will certainly be more discreet about it! [biggrin]

I understand that I won't be able to get any 'proper' carp rods but I reckon a stiff spinning rod will do. I love the idea of fishing for un-educated Carp....you won't believe how tricky they can be to catch over here. I think I love the idea of returning these fish even more appealing though! Guys, I really don't understand your (collective) apathy towards Carp. For me, fishing is about the thrill of the fight, outwitting the fish into submission and right on your doorstep you have the chance to fish for these wonderful creatures. I will certainly be returning any I catch!!

As for bait, sweetcorn is always good but as you say, boilies are my normal bait. I'm not so sure how good they are with virgin carp though. I actually enjoy fishing for carp with floating dog biscuits. All you need is a warm sun and a great days fishing can follow! I will be bringing some boilies with me called pop-ups. I use these all the time with a special hook set-up. They are basically bouyant balls of goodness that I will rig-up to float an inch or so above the bare hook a few inches off the bottom. The big old Carp will (hopefully!) then come along and suck the whole thing in, hook and all!

Well, that's the idea anyway!! [biggrin] thanks for the info Archer.
Last edited by DaveBones on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaveBones
Petty Officer

Post by DaveBones » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 am

dea wrote:Folks are still catching carp out of Blackmans Lake, in Snohomish, as well. I've not caught one. I don't specifically fish for carp only due to lack of experience.
Thanks for the info dea. You should give them a go.......the fight is amazing!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Our carp are suckers for snails and crayfish. I have caught many on flies cast in front of feeding carp on flats. I have caught lots on plastic crayfish patterns as well. I hate bait fishing in general so that may be part of my issue.

The carp do not fight any harder than any other fish, pound for pound. I feel their claim to fame comes from their size. If you were to tie a 5 pound Small Mouth Bass to a 10 pound carp, the bass would drag it to death. The difference is that 10 pound carp are common and 5 pound Small Mouth Bass are not. Additionally, while carp are considered great table fare in Europe and Asia, most agree that Carp are more suited for dog and cat food in the US. Even a Polish family that brags of their Carp meals near Christmas every year will not eat Carp from the US.

As for out general dislike for carp, that is two pronged.

1) Carp are not native. Many of us in this country feel that non-native species displace native species. It has almost become a "Religion" to some. Walleye are not native and therefore many of the biologist want then destroyed. Hatchery spawn Steelhead are being destroyed or planted in a closed system {Sprague} rather than allow them to bread with native Steelhead. Even trout species that are native to other parts of the US but not locally are considered a problem in many areas. I don't follow that crowd.

2) Carp are not native and have few natural controls in America. They root the bottom and destroy native vegetation. Because they do this they destroy native habitat required for native species. They over populate and in general downgrade or destroy habitat. This all refers to European carp like common and mirror carp. Asian carp are proving worse. Carp, like so many non-native weeds, are truly invasive.

I don't call it apathy on my part, I am a TRUE CARP HATER. I have seen their ability to destroy and they are my enemy. :spiderman

Last, chumming, well I guess that the theory is that in some areas people would deposit food sources in an area to attract fish, catch their fill, then leave. The next fishermen would do the same, and then the next, and eventually several fishermen would have deposited so much "food" that the bottom would be polluted with food sources. I hear claim that Utah and Wyoming have said that sometimes the bottom was yellow with corn. Are these stories true? I don't know, and I am not opposed to chumming. But, I am not the one that writes tickets if you get caught either. LOL

Throwing sticks, yes, I remember then now.