Sunrise Baits?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

Sunrise Baits?

Post by DannyL » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:47 am

Has anyone used Sunrise Bait out of Portland Oregon? Im going to be carrying it at our tackle shop. Wondering if this is a good bait.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

DannyL
Captain

Re: Sunrise Baits?

Post by DannyL » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:50 pm

The samples we got from them look really good.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm sure they do, JS never has anything positive to say regardless of topic. Lost all credibility.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:37 pm

What tackle shop?

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Dougs Boats in Woodinville

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Sunrise is good people. I bulk order fresh roe from him when he gets it in. As with anything based on a natural resource, the freshness depends on the seasons. They have to get their eggs from fish in Alaska, commercially caught, and you'll get what's in season. This is the best time fro fresh roe, so they're all going to be good. When it comes time to fish in December for steelhead, the eggs are going to be the bottom of the barrel, so you'd better hope you actually saved up your stores on chums.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm

I personally like there eggs. I have caught a lot of kings and silvers with there products.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:28 am

Springer Jerry wrote:
Bodofish wrote:I'm sure they do, JS never has anything positive to say regardless of topic. Lost all credibility.
The guy had a question and I answered it. My opinion is held by many others who have tried their eggs. If you don't like it then save the personal attacks and move on.
You've personally attacked several long standing members of the forum with your opinions. Like I said, you've lost all credibility.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:41 am

I have fished them and have caught fish but found that I needed to take them out of the jar and dry em out for a few hours. The few jars I tried were very wet eggs, which would have been fine, even preferable in slower water chasing coho but I was tossing a long ways in faster water for kings and if lucky I only got two cast when straight out of the jar.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:08 am

I bought a couple jars and had them shipped to Moses Lake. We used them for fall Chinook on the Columbia in the Hanford reach area. In four trips we landed roughly 30 fish on these eggs with divers and spin-n-glo's. Lasted well on the hook and milked just fine.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:30 am

If you open up the eggs and they smell like fish, they're bad quality. This will happen with any brand of roe. If I ran a shop, I'd buy fresh eggs from the tribe or commercials, cure it myself. You get a good house recipe, fresh roe and take care of it, everyone will buy it from you. Most of the bait companies are based in Oregon. shipping and transport requirements mean for lesser quality. Look into it at least.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

natetreat wrote:Sunrise is good people. I bulk order fresh roe from him when he gets it in. As with anything based on a natural resource, the freshness depends on the seasons. They have to get their eggs from fish in Alaska, commercially caught, and you'll get what's in season. This is the best time fro fresh roe, so they're all going to be good. When it comes time to fish in December for steelhead, the eggs are going to be the bottom of the barrel, so you'd better hope you actually saved up your stores on chums.

do you eat the chum? if so how prepared?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 am

This is a thread about bait not chum recipes.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:10 am

sorry, not trying to hijack. i thought your last response covered it. i just see allot of folks gutting chum and pitching them. i was merely trying to gain some knowledge to prevent some of the game wasting i see in my area. pm me if you wish.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:13 am

Ed the owner called me yesterday and we are getting fresh Chinook eggs. They will be here tomorrow.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 am

let us know how they look.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:32 pm

skagit510 wrote:sorry, not trying to hijack. i thought your last response covered it. i just see allot of folks gutting chum and pitching them. i was merely trying to gain some knowledge to prevent some of the game wasting i see in my area. pm me if you wish.
Chum are great smoked. And if you have family that doesnt fish, smoked salmon makes a very memorable and thoughtful Christmas gift. Just wish we could have a chum season on the sky, but they give them all to the commercial guys these days. If you want to see waste watch what those guys do with the chums

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:36 pm

If they're too dark to smoke, the eggs are too ripe to use, so throw them back. But chum goes to friends and family that don't like the stronger flavor of the other salmon. They take a strong brine well, and their flesh is very mild flavored. But they turn to mush after a while of being in the fresh water.

Chum are my absolute favorite fish to fish for. Then pinks, then kings, then coho then steelhead. They pull hard. Fish does not go to waste at my house. Smoked, canned, steaked baked, ground up into patties, deep fried and beer battered, sandwiches burgers, salads... we eat a lot of fish. I'm sure mercury poison is going to be the death of us.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:26 am

We got the eggs in and they look, feel great. we have 9 quarts left. Started with 15.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:01 pm

How much? And what cure do they use?