What Knots for Tigers?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lotech Joe
Commodore

What Knots for Tigers?

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:13 pm

I've heard that fluorocarbon leaders are good for Tiger Muskie fishing. I've also heard that 125# fluorocarbon is the way to go. My question is; does 125# fluorocarbon make a good leader for fly fishing for these critters? And, if so, what kind of knot would you recommend at both ends?
Thanks ahead for your input.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

iPodrodder
Commodore

RE:What Knots for Tigers?

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Steel leaders I think are preferable so they can't slice the line right in half. I guess a thick line like that might work but probably not as well.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 am

The word that I am getting in researching Tigers is to use a steel leader. This next spring I am going to start fly fishing for them out at Silver in Four Lakes. It should be interesting:-"

Here is an article I ran across recently:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/tech ... uskie.aspx
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:51 am

Marc,
You may see me there. I'm planning the same thing at Silver.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm

[quote="Lotech Joe"]I've heard that fluorocarbon leaders are good for Tiger Muskie fishing. I've also heard that 125# fluorocarbon is the way to go. My question is]

Hi Joe,

I bought some leaders made up with fluorocarbon, and they used crimps on the ends just like the steel leaders have.

Some thoughts for you, they are stiff as a board, usually have a curve or bend to them unless you heat them up and straighten them in some very warm water, heavier than s good multistrand steel leader, and, on some occasions, they can be cut through.

I lost a good Tiger over at Hauser a few years ago when it cut through after a long battle. I lost a couple of Northerns over at Coeur d'Alene as well.

If you want to hit Silver next spring, you and Marc should PM me and I'll meet you there. I have a couple fluorocarbons that I think I can spare.

Oh yea, I use a 9 weight, just to have a chance when I hit one in the weeds.:cheers:
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:01 pm

AnglinArcher,
Thanks friend. I might just do that. Seems like a long way off with all this snow.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:58 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:Marc, You may see me there. I'm planning the same thing at Silver.
Sounds good Joe. It should be fun. I'm researching the internet now and talking with guys.

I just joined the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club. Last Tues. I attended and helped out with this years fund raising Christmas raffle. Much to my surprise, I won an Orvis 9 wt. fly rod that one of the members donated to the raffle.:cheers: It is like brand new. I think that he used it once. So now I have told Santa I wanted as many Cabela's Gift Cards as possible, to get the line and reel. I will be pretty much set up for the challenge.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:44 am

furled leaders will hold up on most.

you can also make furled leaders out of very very fine wire...true tiger leader.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:41 pm

beresford13861 wrote:furled leaders will hold up on most.

you can also make furled leaders out of very very fine wire...true tiger leader.
I furl my own leaders out of 6/0 fly tying thread, using Kathy Scott's formula. Somehow I don't think they would hold up to a Tiger Muskie. :-k
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
Lotech Joe wrote:Marc, You may see me there. I'm planning the same thing at Silver.
Sounds good Joe. It should be fun. I'm researching the internet now and talking with guys.

I just joined the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club. Last Tues. I attended and helped out with this years fund raising Christmas raffle. Much to my surprise, I won an Orvis 9 wt. fly rod that one of the members donated to the raffle.:cheers: It is like brand new. I think that he used it once. So now I have told Santa I wanted as many Cabela's Gift Cards as possible, to get the line and reel. I will be pretty much set up for the challenge.
How lucky can you get? Good on you. I picked up a Pflueger Trion reel at Sportsmans' Warehouse about 1 1/2 years ago for I think $79. That's the one I'm planning on using.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:37 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:
beresford13861 wrote:furled leaders will hold up on most.

I furl my own leaders out of 6/0 fly tying thread, using Kathy Scott's formula. Somehow I don't think they would hold up to a Tiger Muskie. :-k
theres fine wire that will work fine, maybe not for a 40# tiger but 10-25 should be fine, i used them in MN...
if not then a regular steel leader, slow down your cast.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:56 pm

beresford13861 wrote: i used them in MN...
if not then a regular steel leader, slow down your cast.
DITTO

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 am

Several of the steel leaders are so called "tieable". Should you tie knots or use small crimps?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:12 am

Marc Martyn wrote:Several of the steel leaders are so called "tieable". Should you tie knots or use small crimps?
Have you found any of those tieable leaders locally?
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:11 am

Both Joe's and Sportsman's Warehouse had them.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:04 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Several of the steel leaders are so called "tieable". Should you tie knots or use small crimps?
I do like the tieable leaders, and I do use them. The type I use actually barrel twist and you set the not with a match. You sure reduce the weight of the swivels that normally come with a lot of the pre-made steel leaders.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:27 pm

So what I am gathering for fly fishing, you use a regular leader, though shorter than normal because of the larger flies, and tie on about 8 inches of steel leader. I ran across this web page suggesting how to make up steel leaders. The technique looks very simple, however I can't see how just fusing the nylon coating would be strong enough. What do you thinK?

http://members.shaw.ca/cs47/leader.html

http://members.shaw.ca/clives/pikeflyfish.html

If this procedure would work, than a guy could tie up the flies with the leader already attached to the fly. You would then tie the fly line nylon leader onto the attached steel leader loop with a standard fisherman's knot. Correct?

This method looks like it would be a great way to go. I suppose for extra strength if needed, you could use a small crimp sleeve.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:27 am

Wow Marc a nine weight Orvis. That is awesome. Seems pretty perfect for Pike according to the article You read. I have an old eight weight fiberglass Heddon that I am going to use at Silver it has backbone and is totally limber with a fish on. Definitely got to have a WL.com Pike Party. Have you found if they are hot at ice out or is it a summer thing?

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:42 am

It's a spring thing. I am gathering that information now. It's going to be a party alright!:bounce: :cheers: :bounce: :cheers: