to join a bass club or not????

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

to join a bass club or not????

Post by needs2hunt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:06 am

i have been thinking about joining a bass club but not to sure yet... would like to hear some pros and cons from members of walakes.... i have belonged to other clubs when in other hobbies... but not real sure on this one,not really looking to do tournaments ..... ideas????

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: to join a bass club or not????

Post by Amx » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:58 pm

If you plan on doing tournies, then yes, a club is manditory to enter the qualifiers, and maybe some other tournies.

If you want to learn faster then, a club can help a lot. You can learn different techniques, and practice them with a person that knows during the club tournies. Usually there can be club meetings with clinics.

I learned before there even was a Bass Anglers Sportsman's Society = B.A.S.S., and the FLW wasn't even dreamed of, let alone consummated.

I watched shows on tv, read magazines and books. Then bought tapes, and then joined BASS, then joined a local club.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:45 pm

needs2hunt wrote:i have been thinking about joining a bass club but not to sure yet... would like to hear some pros and cons from members of walakes.... i have belonged to other clubs when in other hobbies... but not real sure on this one,not really looking to do tournaments ..... ideas????

Can there really be any cons of joining a fishing club?
Even if you aren't into the tourneys from a competitive standpoint, you have an opportunity to learn from people who are really dialed in to the passion. AND it gives you a chance to share something that you are into with other like minded folks.
Join up! I had to quit the one I was in, because I couldn't make the time, but that's my problem.

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Needs2Hunt,

You say you been thinking of joining a bass club-Are there specific reasons why you haven't?

Clubs can be intimidating for some. Others find it quite imformative. Just depends on your expectations on what you feel you will get from joining a club. As AMX said clubs can be an avenue to learn from guys who know how to catch fish regularly and most are willing to share. Some clubs are focused just on fishing tournaments while others hold monthly fishins on a different body of water each month so guys can learn how to break down a particular fishery. Western Bass Club is this type of club. They meet in Auburn at Round Table Pizza I believe the thrid wednesday of the month at 7PM.

Other clubs such as Puyallup, WBA, Northend, Evergreen, and Castmasters have opportunities to learn this sport and are always welcoming new members.

Another way to learn how to bass fish is to come to our Limit Out Marine Bass seminars we hold each month.

Seminars will be starting back for us sometime in January or February.

Russ

Russ Baker

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:34 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
needs2hunt wrote:i have been thinking about joining a bass club but not to sure yet... would like to hear some pros and cons from members of walakes.... i have belonged to other clubs when in other hobbies... but not real sure on this one,not really looking to do tournaments ..... ideas????

Can there really be any cons of joining a fishing club?
Even if you aren't into the tourneys from a competitive standpoint, you have an opportunity to learn from people who are really dialed in to the passion. AND it gives you a chance to share something that you are into with other like minded folks.
Join up! I had to quit the one I was in, because I couldn't make the time, but that's my problem.
The only 'con' that I can think of is, it takes time and money to take advantage of the club, and the knowledge of it's members. You have to go to meetings to meet the people, get to know them, and form friendships and share info. You need to go to their club tournies to put into practice that which you pick up/learn at the meetings and seminars AND watch those 'in-the-know' in action. Lots of times a person will pick up a new technique better by watching on the lake, and immediately trying it AND having the smart person help and show the finer points of the technique. For example, many years ago one person was fishing with a smart person, the 'new guy' was splitshotting, and the smart guy said to him, "You have a bite". The new guy had no idea, but he learned that day what a splitshot bite can be like, VERY soft. Same with working certain lures, it can be best to WATCH a guy working that lure, THEN trying it yourself.
Tom.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:37 am

Is it possible to list some of these clubs. Being very new to Bassin Id like to know where in Seattle is there meetings . I was invited to a couple last year but one was Pierce and Snoho counties.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:14 pm

http://www.westernbassclub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.washington-state-bass-federation-nation.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- with a list of it's clubs

http://www.wabass.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- with a list of it's clubs

http://puyallup-hawg-hunters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nwbass.net/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://northendbass.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mt-st-helens-bassmasters.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://evergreenbassclub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://capitalcitybassclub.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Russ, I've been to about 5 or 6 of your seminars... and both you and Chris having given me some outstanding pointers...along with your guest speakers... i will be up for more...

My main problem is Time.. my work schedule is a issue... I'd never be able to make a meeting... having to get up at 3am for work , I like to be in bed around 8ish... so going to a meeting in Auburn would end up putting me back home Late...

I have talked to just a few different club members ... from a couple of different clubs... they all seem willing to help a new guy out...

just not sure yet... to me a bass fishing is a time to relax... it seemed to me every time i got into a club it ended up causing stress...

i don't want to throw a bunch of money to a club that i can't do anything with...

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Where do you live? I joined Northend two years ago and even though its way north of me its worth the drive and its a great club. You don't necessarily have to go to club meetings every month. Most clubs understand work schedules.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:08 pm

I went to a couple Northend meetings. They seem to be great people. But I'm just not ready yet, financially, to join a club. I still have a couple more things to do to/with the boat. And of course I have my dog to take care of, I don't have a live-in doggie sitter anymore. Image
Tom.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 pm

I live in the Tacoma /Spanaway area... northend is out ... I really hate driving if I don't have too... driving 1900 miles a week for work... the last thing i want to do is drive up north...

so doing a little searching .. some clubs , you not only have to pay membership dues for that club you also have to be a member of FLW and or TBF...I really don't think I'm up for spending that kind of cash for a club... that's an extra trip to potholes for us...

I'm just starting a restoration on my boat, new carpet, seats, pedestals,deck extension,and some major buffing and waxing to try to make it look better... electronics are friggen expensive!!!! electronic's may have to wait another year... And I'm sure I'll need more fishing gear....

So i think I'm just gonna wait on joining a club... thanks for all the info...

LBES
Petty Officer

Post by LBES » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:37 am

I'm in the same boat... (no pun intended). Join a club, or not? I'm new to the sport, want to learn, and think the clubs would get me going. But, I don't want to waste a club's time if I cannot commit to the tournament schedule... is this a problem? And, not sure what the format is for the club meetings - if it's just to get together to discuss logistics of the next tourney, then I'd just be in the way. Do clubs have members that do NOT do the tournaments? Do members need to fish ALL of the tournaments? I've read every book and watched every youtube video on bass fishing, but it would be good to her what tactics club members focus on - and bounce ideas off of everyone. Seminars are great, and I'll keep my eye open for the ones to come.

Meanwhile, I'll probably just blast the forum with rookie questions - if nothing else, you'll all get a good laugh!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:45 pm

I've laughed at myself MANY times while Bass fishing. As well as cussing myself out for doing some stupid thing.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:55 pm

If you join a club that fishing the tournies is mandatory, then no you won't like it. Most clubs are there for fun and get-togethers. Tournies aren't mandatory, but are just events that members can have fun doing what they all like - fishing.

The best clubs make sure that they all camp at the same place so they can socialize in the afternoon/evening after the tourny hours are over. Some clubs let you go back out and fish all night long if you want. The club I was a member of let us fish, but off the docks and shoreline, which I liked better as we weren't tired from fishing all night, and both days and so wasn't sleepy driving home after the tourny hours on Sunday. So we would walk the banks and docks at Collie Playland, Potholes and such and talk while fishing. I even caught a 6 lb Largie on a spook once immediately after Russ said he'd never seen anyone catch a bass on a spook. [laugh] We were fishing the banks at Coolie Playland inside the log boom and docks.
Tom.

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:42 am

Nice! Log booms hold a few fish i have figured out over the years.
Fishing is the life of past, present, and hopefully future. We must keep it a live! C&R!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Tue May 13, 2014 4:34 pm

I think a club can be a good thing. Gets you on the water in a boat with guys in the know, and willing to share info. Cuts down on the learning curve. Due to my work schedule now and before to attend meetings and tournies, I chose not to go that route. Also, tournies are just not my thing...or the idea of it...tho I have never fished one...so who knows? Maybe I'm missing something. I know I can hold my own tho, so that's enough for me.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;