What Are You Using To Filet Salmon On

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: What Are You Using To Filet Salmon On

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:32 pm

I use a splitting board when I can find it. it's a about 3' long and 18 or so inches wide and it has a screw up through the bottom at about a 30 degree angle. Sharpen the threads off so it only sticks up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and you pierce it in just behind the collar. It'll hold anything from a 2# humpy to a 60 pound or better king. I've filleted many thousands of fish on the splitting board. 2 little cuts and 2 big cuts and you have a couple very nice fillets, only takes a couple seconds.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Another thing that might help is a good grip on the fish. Throw on a fillet glove and get a good firm grip.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:26 pm

when the fish is on the board, two hands on the knife so you don't cut yourself.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:37 am

Bodofish wrote:I use a splitting board when I can find it. it's a about 3' long and 18 or so inches wide and it has a screw up through the bottom at about a 30 degree angle. Sharpen the threads off so it only sticks up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and you pierce it in just behind the collar. It'll hold anything from a 2# humpy to a 60 pound or better king. I've filleted many thousands of fish on the splitting board. 2 little cuts and 2 big cuts and you have a couple very nice fillets, only takes a couple seconds.
what is a splitting board? :scratch:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 am

strider43 wrote:
Bodofish wrote:I use a splitting board when I can find it. it's a about 3' long and 18 or so inches wide and it has a screw up through the bottom at about a 30 degree angle. Sharpen the threads off so it only sticks up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and you pierce it in just behind the collar. It'll hold anything from a 2# humpy to a 60 pound or better king. I've filleted many thousands of fish on the splitting board. 2 little cuts and 2 big cuts and you have a couple very nice fillets, only takes a couple seconds.
what is a splitting board? :scratch:
I don't see any big words...... [rolleyes]

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 am

Steelheadin360 wrote:I have a chunk of ply wood with outdoor carpet on it (the green stuff) and it works pretty awesome
I got the same setup. Plywood works great and when it gets funky into the fireplace it goes.

FinChaserNW
Petty Officer

Post by FinChaserNW » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:39 pm

In the field (on the boat) I use a rubber door mat that has little rubber nubs sticking up. Holds the fish in place, easy to sanitize, and doesn't dull my blade. At home I use the poly cutting boards, often with an old bath towel on the to deal with the slip and slime.

Scott

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:53 pm

If its nice out I use the tailgate of my truck with newspaper laid out. If weather is crummy same thing but on the kitchen counter. Put down multiple layers of newspaper and pull slimy layer off after each fish.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Newspaper or an old cardboard box

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Bodofish wrote:when the fish is on the board, two hands on the knife so you don't cut yourself.
Two hands on the knife? How big is your knife handle? haha

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Matt wrote:
Bodofish wrote:when the fish is on the board, two hands on the knife so you don't cut yourself.
Big enough for two hands......... [razz]

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Matt wrote:
Big enough for two hands......... [razz]
2 hands, using a samurai sword???

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:43 pm

pretty much.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 am

Since we are talking about about knives I've a couple of diiferent ones depending on the size of the fish I mostly use the Kershaw 1288SH when out in the field cleaning. But at home I have a wusthof classic 7.1 inch which is a good knife but I really prefer the feel of a heavy knife that just annihilates the bones with out much pressure. Defo gonna try the split board . Maybe this could go on the Christmas list http://www.thekershawstore.com/Kershaw- ... 1280ge.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:52 pm

I made a "splitting board" just as described and it works great, not such a struggle to control the fish. Now I just need to work on my second filet which never turns out as good as the first..

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:50 pm

strider43 wrote:I made a "splitting board" just as described and it works great, not such a struggle to control the fish. Now I just need to work on my second filet which never turns out as good as the first..
Big flat bladed knife and you pick up on it just a bit. Should be able to make a row of button down the center of the fillet.