Area 9 and 8-2

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Idstud
Lieutenant

Area 9 and 8-2

Post by Idstud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 am

I was finally getting a chance to do some fishing the coming weekend and was wondering were my time would be best spent. Is area 9 or 8-2 still good for silvers or would I be better off working the snohomish system? Thanks

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Area 9 and 8-2

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:52 am

well, we had a tough day Tuesday but I saw a lot of fish being marked from Shipwreck all the way to out front of Edmonds. Maybe with the low front passed through the bite will pick up again,

I'm switching to rivers next week.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

caskillet
Petty Officer

Post by caskillet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:08 am

We picked up two coho in an hour and a half of fishing (both caught around 5:30-ish) on the tail end of the flood on Tuesday evening south of shipwreck. Standard green flasher/hootchie/herring strip combo. Saw a few others caught - they are still there, but it sounds like they might be slowing down. Going to hit it hard this weekend in the salt.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:58 pm

I stopped by the Everett ramp early this afternoon and talked to a couple of boats coming in. Two guys caught 3 and the other boat just got one. Magic depth today for those guys was 50', which is a bit surprising. The guy with 1 said he got 4 yesterday (Wed) by 9:30am. Everybody was fishing at Shipwreck. I'll be out in the morning.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:19 pm

We got three today in 8-2 and 9, two up by Mukilteo and one on the west side of possession. Far fewer boats out there today. When we got back to the dock we heard lots of "going to the river next time" comments. I'm giving the salt another shot tomorrow.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks everybody for the info I will be out on the salt this weekend as well. Might even drop a pot or 2 for some crab. The last time I did they got taken. I do see you guys using herring strips do you salt them and if so is there a trick to doing it?

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm

I do it the easy way with liquid brine. Just soak overnight. I've been using chartreuse. I haven't experimented to see what works best.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:40 am

Idstud wrote:Thanks everybody for the info I will be out on the salt this weekend as well. Might even drop a pot or 2 for some crab. The last time I did they got taken. I do see you guys using herring strips do you salt them and if so is there a trick to doing it?
I use Nate's Herring Brine for a couple days, and then drain them the night before and use a couple tbsp. of rock salt. Toughs them up real good. I also use magic thread and do a few wraps on the inside hook to help it stay on better/longer.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Fished Wed and Thurs, two rods, launched at Everett around 6:45AM both days. Wed we got our 4 and were done by 10, all between Mulk and the Wreck, and all were at 50 feet which is more shallow then usual. Thurs it slowed, got 2 early around Mulk, 70-80 feet. But after 8AM, nada, trolled all over until 1:30 but nothing going on. Thurs was slower overall, didn't see many caught. Talked to guys at the ramp, some had 1 or 2, some had none. My sense... it is getting later in the run and there will be some new fish coming but at reduced rate. Probably some fish there but maybe no more easy limits.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Anybody out in the salt today or going out tomorrow? I haven't been out since Thursday. One of my friends who lives in Portland wants to come up and fish on Monday for couple days. I'd like to get a better read on what's going on so I can tell him whether or not to come up.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:35 am

Hi Barchaser. I did not get out yesterday, but have been watching John's sporting goods facebook page. Seems like fish are still coming in. A few limits reported. Shipwreck seems to be the place (though that could be because most of John's folks follow his advice and fish there). Hoping to get out Tuesday so I'd love to hear how you do tomorrow. Wish those people would post reports here!!

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 am

BARCHASER wrote:Anybody out in the salt today or going out tomorrow? I haven't been out since Thursday. One of my friends who lives in Portland wants to come up and fish on Monday for couple days. I'd like to get a better read on what's going on so I can tell him whether or not to come up.
I made it out yesterday and had most of my action just south of ship wreck with a report to soon fallow. Most important dont forget your herring strips. Thanks for every ones help.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 pm

Still pretty good. I just filed this report.

This sensational Silver run continues. Fished 8-2 yesterday (10/15) and today. My friend from Portland came up and fished with me in my boat. He also came up two weeks back, and went home with 4. Launched yesterday at Mulk because of the fog, I usually launch at Everett. Be advised, the docks have been put in drydock for the winter, seems a little early. Today with no fog, we launched at Everett. Both days we started fishing around 7:15 or so and fished until noonish. We got 4 Silvers yesterday and 3 today. Smaller size range except we did get one that, I don't have a scale, but it was 29' and a football. Usual gear, flashers, dark green spatterback glow squid, two twinkle skirts, salted herring strip and lit up with a camera flash. Pretty standard day. Had one seal chase the fish up to the boat and nipped at its tail, but we managed to get it in the boat before the seal got it. We fished in a troll pattern from the Wreck to the north about 2 miles and back. 50-90 feet, deeper later.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Nice to hear! I may get out later Friday. Were most of your fish early in the morning? Also how deep were you? I was out Tuesday in 300 feet and didn't get much. Thanks!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 pm

We were 200 to 300. Our fish seemed to spread out through the morning, some early, some later. For us, there seems to be a honey hole about one mile or so north of the Wreck. There is an underwater point there where it is shallower further out and a lot of our fish came from just off of that underwater point around 250. Its about the next slide north of the big one that is at the Wreck. We also have done well early just south of Mulk around Humpy Hollow, but that spot seems to peter out after 9 or so. Most of the fleet is way south past Picnic Pt. I usually do well down there but this year it is further north for us.

One of my Scottys took a dump and I just took it down to 3 rivers to get it fixed. So I prob wont go out again until it is fixed.

I have no idea why, but this year regardless of the tide, we seem to get more fish trolling south and fewer trolling north??!! Lately, regardless of the tide, we started going to about a mile south of Mulk, troll south down to Picnic, fire up the big mtr and run back north and do it again. I don't know why but it has been working.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Does look like the Silver run in the salt is over. Yesterday (Sunday) the fishchecker report had it only 13 fish for 136 guys. It was a really great run, the best I've ever seen here or anywhere else. I don't have room left in my freezer anyway.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/ ... oCode=1151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm

I also notice that in September 1 Chinook was checked.... hmmmm

haha

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:42 am

Has any one been having any luck with kings in these areas yet? Is it still too early? What spots would you recommend? Tight Lines. Thinking of hitting Possession area this Sat.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:10 pm

I havent been out, but the marine forecast sounds good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight: S wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less. Slight chance of showers.

Sat: SE wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less. Slight chance of rain in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon.

Sat Night: Light wind...becoming NE 10 kt after midnight. Wind waves 1 ft or less. Rain.

Sun: N wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less.

Sun Night: N wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less.

Mon: N wind 10 kt...becoming S in the afternoon. Wind waves 1 ft or less

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:07 pm

went out opening day in elger bay and only found some shakers