Green/Puyallup River Pink fishing

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dustin07
Commodore

Re: Green/Puyallup River Pink fishing

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:22 am

mizm05 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I refuse to believe the fish can see much of anything in that river. Why else would they bump into my legs? I know it's a touchy subject...but in the Puyallup, I think we're just flossing them. I know this is a whole other topic unto itself. I've seen the debates in various forums.
i wouldn't be surprised if visibility improves under water. I've seen that in scuba diving before. areas where I can't see my flasher 1ft under water, you can dive and gain another 8ft of visibility.

also scent doesn't have to be seen, if you use it that is.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 am

But that water is full of silt...zero visibility. I can't imagine a fish would swim right into me if it could see me.

I haven't used scent...I may try some day...but I still think with the water being that muddy, it's flossing...at least on the Puyallup. Just my opinion. Not saying anything one way or the other because I'm out there using the same rig as most...although I don't use yarn. Haven't seen guys who use yarn do any better than I've done.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 am

its like a stocked lake the day after they dump 4,000 rainbows in it. they'll bite anything. massive competition for food.
if you think you're flossing and have a problem with it from a sportsmanship perspective, switch it up to plunking or something. yesterday I had three solid hookups plunking. the weight was in the water and the bait was up but not drifting across. basically in one static location when I got my hookup. hard to call that floss.

In the past 4 years I can only recall one foul hooked fish on my line (although I've seen many more). maybe there is some flossing for many... but you can always switch up your approach with jigs, scent, bait, etc to encourage a strong strike. also, there is a couple inches of vis, and as aggressive as these pinks can be I would not be surprised if its about just getting lucky, buzzing that thing right in front of them to encourage a follow and a strike. lures that make a vibration will also help. I like to use corkies with wings that spin quite a bit. yesterday I experimented with a pink coho killer even.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 am

I don't personally have an issue with corky fishing. I was just saying that I don't think the fish can see much of anything in that water so I think most of them that are caught are done so by flossing.

Again....just my opinion. But I fish a corky too.

kiara2425
Angler

Post by kiara2425 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:31 pm

I enjoyed the corkie fishing.. the feel of the bumps on the bottom and a big bump.. it was a thrill to me.. even if I caught nothing.

My dads permit is now expired and he had no fish caught, but is happy as can be for the experience and gosh, those views of Rainier Tuesday evening were great from the Puyallup, eh?

Perhaps next time I will try some scents.. I didn't know if it was considered a bait and didn't want to take chances so I didn't get any. :)

NWRob
Angler

Post by NWRob » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I cant find anywhere that says no bait for the puyallup.

Location: Puyallup River (Pierce County) from 11th Street Bridge upstream to White River.

Other information: 11th Street Bridge to city of Puyallup outfall structure near junction of Freeman Road and North Levee Road: Night closure and anti-snagging rule are in effect and single point barbless hooks are required from August 16 until further notice. Salmon and gamefish season is open August 16 until further notice, except closed on September 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, and 30. Trout minimum length is 14 inches. Salmon daily limit is 6 fish. No more than 4 may be adults, and of the 4 adults, only 2 may be any combination of chinook, coho, and chum. Release wild adult chinook.

From city of Puyallup outfall structure near junction of Freeman Road and North Levee Road to mouth of the White River: Night closure and anti-snagging rule are in effect and single point barbless hooks are required from August 1 until further notice. Salmon and gamefish season is open August 1 until further notice, except closed on August 11 and September 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, and 30. Trout minimum length is 14 inches. Salmon daily limit is 6 fish. No more than 4 may be adults, and of the 4 adults, only 2 may be any combination of chinook, coho, and chum. Release wild adult chinook.

From the mouth of the White River to the Carbon River and both the White and Carbon rivers are not affected by this rule change. Anglers should consult the Fishing in Washington, Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet for additional information.

from White River to Carbon River
(804)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 1-Nov. 30: night closure, anti-snagging rule, and barbless hooks required.
TROUT Aug. 1-Dec. 31 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish Aug. 1-Dec. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Aug. 1-Dec. 31 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adults may be retained plus 2
additional PINK. Release wild adult CHINOOK.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:44 pm

NWRob wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I cant find anywhere that says no bait for the puyallup.

bait (which includes scented lures) is legal on the Puy.

Bait is illegal on the Duwi/Green in certain spots at certain times.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 am

Correct...bait is ok on the Puyallup, but not on the Green. I wasn't aware that scent would be considered bait if you just goop some on your corky. And I also wasn't aware of the "certain spots at certain times"...in the sake of not breaking any rules, I just told myself I'm not using bait on the Green...period.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:21 am

Another question on the Green...the regs don't specifically say barbless hooks. They specify that from point to shank must be 1/2 inch or less...but the regs for the Puyallup specifically spell out that you must have a single point BARBLESS hook.

Are barbed hooks legal on the Green?

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:38 am

mizm05 wrote:Another question on the Green...the regs don't specifically say barbless hooks. They specify that from point to shank must be 1/2 inch or less...but the regs for the Puyallup specifically spell out that you must have a single point BARBLESS hook.

Are barbed hooks legal on the Green?
Yes, barbed hooks are legal on the Green.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:42 pm

mizm05 wrote:Correct...bait is ok on the Puyallup, but not on the Green. I wasn't aware that scent would be considered bait if you just goop some on your corky. And I also wasn't aware of the "certain spots at certain times"...in the sake of not breaking any rules, I just told myself I'm not using bait on the Green...period.

From page 32 in the regs regarding one section of the Green/Duwi:

from 1st Ave. South Bridge to Old
Hwy. 99/Tukwila Intl. Blvd.
(746)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 23-Aug. 31: bait prohibited, only 1 single-point hook may be used, and hook must
measure ½" or less from point to shank. Aug. 23-Nov. 30: night closure and anti-snagging rule. Nov. 1-Jan.
15: fishing from any floating device prohibited.

From page 10 of the regs, regarding definition of "bait":

Bait Anything that attracts fish or shellfish by
scent and/or flavor. This includes any device
made of feathers, hair, fiber, wood, metal, glass,
cork, leather, rubber, or plastic, which uses scent
and/or flavoring to attract fish or wildlife.

Kinda a bummer on the bait restriction on the Green/Duwi. The good news is that the prohibition is only for a limited window of time.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Guess its a good thing that I will not be able to fish it until next weekend, cuz I plan on using lots of bait. Have shrimp and eggs cured and ready to go.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:09 pm

I live right by the duwi, what can you fish legally right now? Sounds like jigs are out due to the anti-snagging rule (weight is too close to the hook). All I can think of are plugs since they're buoyant, is that right?

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:20 pm

jd39 wrote:I live right by the duwi, what can you fish legally right now? Sounds like jigs are out due to the anti-snagging rule (weight is too close to the hook). All I can think of are plugs since they're buoyant, is that right?
Jigs are legal, since the lead is permanently attached to the hook. It's considered a lure. The gap of the hook still has to follow the gap restriction.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks loseturn! Just changed my plans for tomorrow, will try a jig, one that fits the gap restriction, I think that works out to be a #1 hook basically.