Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
primetime
Commander

Re: Skok

Post by primetime » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:19 pm

hihrd1 wrote:Is sight flossing legal?
Drift eggs right in front of that king you see...bam fish on

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:52 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:You're not allowed to point at fish, you'll get a ticket. But how is a game warden gonna prove you were looking at a fish and targeting it? Hes not. And he wont call it sight flossing, he will call it attempting to snag.
What? You can't get a ticket for pointing at a fish! How else are you going to catch a fish? Cast blindly into the river from any location and hope that there may be a fish somewhere? "Attempting to snag" is the most arbitrary citation you can get, and when you go to court, it will be dropped even if they did give you a ticket for it. Unless you piss off the judge somehow, or say something really dumb.

With clear water you can see the fish. What are you going to do, see a fish and cast the opposite direction? I'll keep that in mind next time I want to fill my freezer. =D>

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Yeah you can't physically point at fish if you are fishing a bunch of people, I forgot what it is called but I game warden has told me you are not allowed to point or yell out where fish are to other people. Pretty goofy rules nowadays

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:37 am

It sounds stupid but it's true Nate. I watched a warden give a girl a ticket, it was his cousin too lol.
I think he called it attempting to snag. I don't remember
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:29 am

Brat Bonker wrote:Yeah you can't physically point at fish if you are fishing a bunch of people, I forgot what it is called but I game warden has told me you are not allowed to point or yell out where fish are to other people. Pretty goofy rules nowadays
That is no where in the LAW. It may be that the game warden in question thinks that that is the case, and calls it attempting or whatever bs, but it is not the law. When you go to court the case will be dropped if you know what you're talking about. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard come from a game warden.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 am

I was there yesterday and had a good time until the snagfest started, couldn't believe what I was seeing. I will upload a short vid I took of it.

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:16 am

perhaps they are trying to make it a touch tougher for the snaggy, flossy, ripper crowd. i see that as a good thing being that I've witnessed the lowest and worst behavior human kind has to offer on this river. good job wardens, keep em honest. by the way four mornings out four limits, taken the old fashioned way. you know the way where the fish actually participate and voluntarily take the anglers offering.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:20 am

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:08 am

I forgot to mention what I caught yesterday at the Skok yesterday, a hatchery steelhead smolt. It was pretty cool and made me think of how great that river would be steelhead, looks like a dynamite float and jig river or even pink worms around the log jams. Thought I would share that there are still steelhead in there.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:31 pm

jd39 wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here, but why should we follow wdfw rules/laws if they are not serving our best interest? This is just a philosophical question, not a call for or encouragement for anyone to actually break the rules/laws. Americans have a long history of leveraging civil disobedience as a means of driving conflict and change. At what point does the wdfw become akin to the British Crown in colonial times for us sporties? Collecting our taxes (license fees) only to enrich themselves and serve other’s interests. When do we free ourselves from their yoke? May not be the best analogy but I think the point’s made.

This sounds like a recipe for anarchy IMO

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:33 pm

well I tried to upload the video but says it is too large...only a min and 20 sec long..any ideas?

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Upload it to youtube and then share the link in the forum. Id love to see it , even though it will just piss me off.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:57 pm

schu7498 wrote: Id love to see it , even though it will just piss me off.
Lol, same here Schu.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 am

Good job John. Fishing seems to be a dieing art. People seem to want their wish the easy way nowadays.

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:01 am

NFCustom wrote:Good job John. Fishing seems to be a dieing art. People seem to want their wish the easy way nowadays.

i just can't get over the lack of ethics in fishing these days. as a kid i grew up here then moved. upon my return i find on average during salmon season eighty percent are flossing or snagging. its disgusting. doesn't anyone want to fool a fish anymore? I've seen guides do it!!!!!! i love the excuses.......they are here to die anyway...........they don't bite. thing is I've never had terrible trouble getting salmon to bite and i fish lures almost exclusively.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:49 pm

natetreat wrote:Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flogging_a_dead_horse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 pm

i can't see your pic. i just get a ?. got the link though.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Which horse are we talking about?

Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Post by Jhuynh2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:39 am

Was out there Thursday - good to fish with some of ya, met Jacob the fisherman out there, had to duck down so he could get his fish. too bad it's closing Sunday but it's been really slow

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Jhuynh2 wrote:Was out there Thursday - good to fish with some of ya, met Jacob the fisherman out there, had to duck down so he could get his fish. too bad it's closing Sunday but it's been really slow
Haha sorry bout that! It was nice meeting you. Sorry I almost close lined ya [biggrin]