Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Re: Skok

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:15 pm

I am so eager to start fishing the skok, my favorite place to fish. I don't care for the snaggers, I love the river. Lots of fish, often decent sized too. And all my buddies fish out there with me every day. Doesn't get better
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I'll see you there! I've been planning to do a three day at Baker that weekend for sockeye, but with the reports like they are, I think I'll head down to the Skok for some fun in the sun. It'll be nice to take a break from these steelhead, after a while you just catch so many of the same fish you want something new.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Itll be a good year! Im going to try to get a 35+ pounder this year. Not necessarily on the skok, but the skok is where id like to catch it. Im heading to the mouth tomorrow!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:45 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Itll be a good year! Im going to try to get a 35+ pounder this year. Not necessarily on the skok, but the skok is where id like to catch it. Im heading to the mouth tomorrow!
haha 35lber geez I just want a chrome 20lb hatchery hen, not unheard of but it will be a pretty big target for the treble tossers. what is your biggest out of there, hatchery and wild?

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:
FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Itll be a good year! Im going to try to get a 35+ pounder this year. Not necessarily on the skok, but the skok is where id like to catch it. Im heading to the mouth tomorrow!
haha 35lber geez I just want a chrome 20lb hatchery hen, not unheard of but it will be a pretty big target for the treble tossers. what is your biggest out of there, hatchery and wild?

Im going to fish other rivers for fall kings that get big fish too, like the Cowlitz and especially the humptulips.
Ive gotten about a rough estimate 30-31 lb wild, and a 28lb hatchery hen.
Ever year for the past 3 or 4 years ive seen atleast 2 hatchery fish come out that were 40 pounds or more.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:15 pm

oh any river yeah you will get one at the hump I lost one that was easy 25-30lbs if not more but it was dark and I was using coho gear. that same day I hooked 9 other fish all more than 15lbs.
hopefully I a one of those that get a 40lber haha. the biggest I have seen in my hole is like 25lbs, seems like further up the river you go the smaller the fish you catch.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Yeah use braid. If you know how to fish that is. If people have lil man syndrome they might get mad at you for using braid. That's because they don't know as much as they claim. In a fishery like the skok get your fish and get out. Use heavy braid main 20-25lb leader 2/0 hook and a rod with enough backbone that your fight is minimal. Get control of your fish and get it out of the hole. Nothing worse then some guy fighting a fish for 10 min in the hole. I use a Loomis 1265c med hev. I don't play fish at the skok I act like its a rodeo. Hook em land em get back to camp with chrome. And now no in the mouth rule. Will be done even sooner.

ResQ
Captain

Post by ResQ » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:29 pm

no in the mouth rule? Gill Plate forward now?

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Well I looked at the rules a few times and it says anti snag and keep first 2 legally caught fish. Nothing about mouth now.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Well I looked at the rules a few times and it says anti snag and keep first 2 legally caught fish. Nothing about mouth now.
Yep! Gill plate forward. That means the flossers won't be fishing so long to get their limits :-"

Anything to get the line moving, right?

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:55 pm

got my first 20+lb hatchery king today along with my first two 2013 pinks. my king was a freakin beast atleast 22lbs if not more. it was bronze but had blaze orange meat. aug 3rd will be off the hook, we saw some natives fishing up above the 106 bridge and they were snagging a few.

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 am

Brat where were you fishing? Going to hit a lot of the rivers this week and the weeks after.

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 am

I will be going down to Shelton this weekend to spend the weekend with my parents and thinking about taking my rod with me to try this out. Is there places maybe further up stream for a guy with little to no river combat fishing experience to try and wet a line on the Skok and have a shot at a king? Also, I understand that bobbing eggs is the go to or drifing a peach corkie. Can someone give me a few pointers on leader size in length and test? As far as my mainline I have 20lb braid on my reel. Is that good enough? I will be coming through Friday morning and would like to scout a few holes out but don't know where to start. Thanks for any tips and I understand if people want to be tight lipped as well. Good luck out there!

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 am

Fishindude, I have some helpful tips I can give you that might help you. I am not the best but last year I had a good year at the Skok. If you are going for the kings it really doesn't matter what you use, It can be bobber and eggs or just any color of corky and yarn. I prefer using dark colors so it doesn't spook the fish for example black yarn. Last year I used a spinner and caught some good ones. For leader size I usually use 4-5 ft but you can go to 3. 20 lb is great for the kings. I believe I had 25 lb mainline and 15 leader. It worked. Last year I fished the hunters farms hole which is a really good spot for fishing. The fish are not quite in yet tho, you might find some in there but don't expect very much because most of the fish are still hanging out in the salt water. Hope some of this might help. I am not the best myself like I said. Good luck

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 pm

kingfisher101 wrote:The fish are not quite in yet tho, you might find some in there but don't expect very much because most of the fish are still hanging out in the salt water.
Youre kidding me right? LOL

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 pm

my go to method on the skok is either drift fishing eggs or drifting a#12-10 green/chartreuse scale sparkle corky with green yarn, 1/0 or 2/0 hook, 4-6' leader and 3/4oz wt, that set up slayed them a couple years ago and I got a few last year on it when the eggs weren't working, the best part is that they actually bite those corkies no joke kings love green/chartreuse just like chums. close 3rd would be a 8-10mm red bead with white yarn.
I got the king at the mouth of the skok, in the salt. lots of people but not that much catching, the fish are there just the swim so fast right by you have to be in the water at all times but my fish decided to stop infront of us 2nd cast boom, FISH ON!

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:13 pm

FB I haven't done much fishing in skok so I don't know tbh but that was my guess. But will there be a lot in the hunters farm hole on the opening day? I never wen one he opening day so correct me if I am wrong haha. Sorry

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:57 am

kingfisher101 wrote:FB I haven't done much fishing in skok so I don't know tbh but that was my guess. But will there be a lot in the hunters farm hole on the opening day? I never wen one he opening day so correct me if I am wrong haha. Sorry
Its all good, my comment wasn't meant to be taken serious. But any info I give out this year, will be thru a message. [biggrin] I haven't even checked the hunter farms hole in 2 weeks.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

There will be tons of fish in the river fro the opener to the closing date. They're giving us 25 days of fishing. There's no time to wait around for the fish to show up, they've been there for a while now. I'll see you guys at the opener, I'll be the guy walking out with a limit!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

natetreat wrote:There will be tons of fish in the river fro the opener to the closing date. They're giving us 25 days of fishing. There's no time to wait around for the fish to show up, they've been there for a while now. I'll see you guys at the opener, I'll be the guy walking out with a limit!
well there will be lots of people walking out with limits sooooo that might be hard. I'm looking for a first cast fish on, I am feeling it too. I will see you guys at my usual haunts and maybe check out lower river for some scouting.
Now that I have my 20lb fix I guess the only thing now is to make it 25lb plus. I have a feeling this will be the year of big salmon like this past winter was the year of big steelhead.