Electric Downriggers Cannon vs Scotty

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Gringo Pescador

Electric Downriggers Cannon vs Scotty

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 am

So I am looking at some downriggers and have narrowed it down to the Cannon 10STX and the Scotty 1101.

I am kind of sold on the Cannon as it seems to be a little more compact in design, has a faster retrieval rate and I like the idea of the spool being vertical instead of horizontal. It is about $70 more than the Scotty.

Anyone have either of these? Anything I should be considering or watching out for? All opinions welcome!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Electric Downriggers Cannon vs Scotty

Post by G-Man » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:05 am

I would have purchased Cannon electric downriggers in the past were it not for the fact that you need to use steel line to enable all the features of the product. Were as the Scotty uses beads to set a stop point and the older Penns use an inductive pick up on the depth wheel for this feature, the Cannons rely on detecting a break in a small charge that occurs when the ball is in the water. For that to happen, you need to be using a conductive downrigger cable/line. Sadly, the braided lines will not suffice in this application. Further, the positive ion control feature also requires the use of the steel line to send a counter charge down to the ball. What I really sets me off on the Scotty design is the operation of the clutch/drag. Lowering the ball on the Scotty takes the use of one hand the entire time it is being lowered, no exceptions, and the clutch needs to be feathered if you want a controlled descent. With the Cannons and the old Penns one can either flip a switch to run the ball down at a controlled rate or simply twist the clutch/drag knob until line plays out at the desired rate. What I think it comes down to is whether or not you prefer to use steel cable or super lines on your downriggers. If you like to use steel, go with the Cannon, if you prefer to use the super lines, the Scotty would be my choice. As for why one would chose to use superline over steel, that has been discussed multiple times on the forum.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Gringo, you know my preference. To me the cable is a deal breaker.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Scotty's don't break. And if they did you could carry a rebuild kit in a small box and fix anything that might break in just a few minutes. I do and I've never used it. My Brother ran his for 20 years and just bought the parts to bring them up to date, took less than an hour a peace and they're brand new again.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks for the input, I would definitely be switching em to braid. I was all set to buy the 1101s yesterday but learned that the Cannons had a better way to lower the ball than Scotty, so decided to wait and ask about em here.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 am

Scotty's on my boat. Lifetime warranty and superb customer service are a just couple reasons you see them on more boats than any other downrigger brand on the west coast including Alaska. [wink]

Think about whether the extendable boom is something you might want to have, if so, consider the 1106s. I have the 1101s and no complaints, but I don't fish in the salt where it might be more beneficial to move the boom out 60".
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

wizzer
Angler

Post by wizzer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Gringo, I've been running Cannons on three boats now and never a problem. Easier to operate, smoother,and i think stronger. I've hung up on lots of who knows what and never broke or bent anything on them except cables. They have many more styles and features. Bottom tracking, cycling and the ion control, there is a reason people have been using ion for trolling since long before recreational down riggers became popular. I've owned Penns and Scotty also, they work but so does tying a rock to some twine and tossing it over. Good luck and congrats on your new toy!
Wizzer [thumbsup]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 pm

You know that mine are manual Scotty's, but my two cents worth is that Ive had only 1 piece break in 8 years. I was able to purchase a new manual counter mechanism over the counter from OE. I was able to install it using a hemostat (whimpy hook remover for non medical types) OE also honered the Scotty warranty and said stop by any time for a refund for the part.
But the biggest thing is if you HAVE to go with wire.... I wouldn't want to make that my option.

SoDakboy
Petty Officer

Post by SoDakboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 pm

wizzer wrote: they work but so does tying a rock to some twine and tossing it over. Good luck and congrats on your new toy!
Wizzer [thumbsup]
I need to go buy some twine and get some good rocks...

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 am

I would go with the scotty they are locally made and easier to get work done. Cannon is power up and power down and wear on your batterys. Unless they have changed that feature? The Scotty retrieve is pretty fast as well and easy to get use too the breaking when lowering. I have used many types in the past.