Its Almost That Time

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Its Almost That Time

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 pm

chrome_chasin wrote:I coached two little league teams, which just finished. Taking a couple of weeks off so that we can go visit the family in Southern Oregon. Then back to tournament team play. I have had only 3 days to fish this summer. kinda sucks, but my time is definitely not wasted.
that sucks, I quit my august team for fishing...and the fact that winning is not in our vocab haha. right now it is my high school summer ball team so I have to do that but I am kicking @$$ batting right now so I am having a good time right now but still looking forward to when it is over and get to do mid week fishing.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 pm

I been busy creating a ton of humpy/Coho hoochie spinners lately with a variety of hoochie colors they look so sweet can't wait to use them on the Skagit this year.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 pm

DannyL wrote:If I just toss pink jigs will that work? Floating them down river with just the jig as weight.
Last pink season I watched a kid with a old school red and white bobber and a pink dicknite about 4' under it, no weight. He'd throw it out and let it float downstream, he did VERY well.

For a jig under a bobber I would still twitch it just to give it some movement, but don't see why it wouldn't work.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:45 pm

chrome_chasin wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:Geeze you guys make me feel so inadequate [blush] Here is MY pink kit. Figure it will last me all season, well everything except the beer, that won't last another hour [wink]

Oh, and if you see me rolling by, say hello! [thumbup]
Is that a red wrap on your cork or is it a crap load of egg goop?
Rod Wrap, I would never let me gear get that dirty!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Then I wanna try a pink and purple yarnie with a pink corkie.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:58 pm

strider43 wrote:hey oneshot, what do use the nickel snap swivels for?
for my dick nite drift setups.. i don't use 3 ways.. i got a couple different ways i set them up with a snap swivel, depending on how patient i am at the time.. generally i'll use black snaps but these were cheap..

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Floating a jig is a great way to cover lots of water early on when fish are still moving a lot.
A couple guides boats switched over one year from twitching when i was rocking them with a float. They started catching a bunch too. But it seems like once fish start holding they want more action.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:18 pm

oneshot wrote:working on my kit.. slowly.. i'm lacking more 50/50 DN's in the wee size.. those things will catch ANYTHING!

looks like youre getting there. [thumbup]

bcustom1
Petty Officer

Post by bcustom1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Just grabbed 130 of these guys for 80 cents a piece. I got 90 in 3/8oz and 40 in 1/2oz in a slightly different skirt (still waiting for them to arrive). I am having a really difficult time finding some non-skirt pink-slaying jigs for a decent deal anywhere and I am beginning to stress a little. Does anybody have any sites or sources they would recommend? TIA,
-BCustom
Attachments
20130712_232039.jpg
20130712_232039.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 4017 times

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:58 am

bcustom1 wrote:Just grabbed 130 of these guys for 80 cents a piece. I got 90 in 3/8oz and 40 in 1/2oz in a slightly different skirt (still waiting for them to arrive). I am having a really difficult time finding some non-skirt pink-slaying jigs for a decent deal anywhere and I am beginning to stress a little. Does anybody have any sites or sources they would recommend? TIA,
-BCustom
I bought hundreds of hootchies from ebay, for about 15 cents apiece. Not all pink (but then again, I like using non-pink colors sometimes for humpies).

If you want the non-skirt jigs (e.g., marabou jigs), you are better off making them yourself. Go to a craft store (Michaels or Jo Ann Fabrics) and buy a pink marabou boa (the sales clerk will look at you funny). Or go online. Cost about 3-10 bucks depending on whether you can get a coupon, shipping, etc. You can make dozens of jigs out of a single boa

Cut the boa when you get home, to take out the feathers. Then tie to jig heads. Cheap jig heads can be found on ebay, basspro shops, cabelas. have fun.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:58 am

Finally finished up my humpy death box :cheers:

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:18 am

For that dick nite set up should the dick nite be pink or 50/50

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:50 pm

DannyL wrote:For that dick nite set up should the dick nite be pink or 50/50
YES :cheers:

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:37 pm

I see that everyone mostly uses the bright pink. The light pink and peach killed the humpies two years ago. Out fished straight pink jigs by a mile. Also, I don't like using hoochies. Do you guys do that well?

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
DannyL wrote:For that dick nite set up should the dick nite be pink or 50/50
YES :cheers:
generally I use 50/50's and green tips.. I came upon a bunch of the purple/pink combos so I will be throwing those around.. Along with my normal colors for Coho.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:43 pm

does anyone here catch pink and coho in the lower Skagit (like concrete down area) at the same time like in august or September and would those hoochie jigs work for both?

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:06 pm

This is my first full humpie season but 2 years ago I went once and limited. Made a few rigs tonight.

pink hoochie jig

Pink and purple yarnie with pink corkie

fake pink egg and pink corkie

Pink yarn with pink corkie.

I'm hoping one of these setups works, then I got the pink jig and float.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:32 am

primetime wrote:I see that everyone mostly uses the bright pink. The light pink and peach killed the humpies two years ago. Out fished straight pink jigs by a mile. Also, I don't like using hoochies. Do you guys do that well?
In clear water bubble gum pink has been money for me the last couple runs.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:46 am

DannyL wrote:Pink yarn with pink corkie.
that was money for me on the Skagit last couple humpy runs along with a pink 10mm bead and pink yarn. also pink/silver pot of old/stee-lee type spoons worked well along with wicked willies. TBH anything pink works on the Skagit for both pinks and coho.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:52 am

spokey9 wrote:Finally finished up my humpy death box :cheers:

I'm feeling a little humbled right now, haha.