NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
sirloinrules
Angler

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Post by sirloinrules » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:34 am

Name: Justin Johnson

Home: Lake Stevens

Usual fishing haunts: Usually lakes around/in Snohomish county

Been fishing for?: on and off since I was little but really got into it past couple years

Species?: bass mostly but I like it when big trout hit my spinners too

Hobbies: fishin... and being home w/ my little family

Work: field technician

I got introduced by my dad and it got rekindled out of boredom and being in school in Moses lake.

That's about it for me. I love fishin, love catchin, love beers work and family!

sgmdwk
Angler

Post by sgmdwk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi. My name is Dave. I am a 62 yearold retired Soldier living outside Tumwater. I have fished off and on my whole life: small creeks growing up in Oregon; fly fishing for greyling in Alaska; bass fishing in Texas. But I hadn't wet a line for the last 12 years until a buddy inspired me to take fishing up again in August. I guess I have gone overboard, with it. I have been fishing two or three days a week for the last 2 1/2 months - hey, I'm retired so my time is my time. I have been using a 30-year old ultralight spinning rod and reel setup to catch trout in Mayfield and American lakes, mostly; fishing from the bank. I recently pulled an equally old float tube out of the attic and inflated the inner tube to make sure it still holds air. I might use that on some smaller lakes in the spring. Anyway, I have been enjoying the WashingtonLakes website and all of your reports and posts. Happy to insert myself into the discussions.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 pm

welcome everyone!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:53 pm

would have posted this a while ago, but just saw this thread today so here goes :

name: Joe Smith
home: Snohomish
usual fishing spot/location: Skykomish River/ Steelhead
been fishing for: about 10 years. I would be taken by my dad, but he doesn`t know how to fish, so had to teach myself just about everything I know only been fishing seriously for about 3 years.
interests: fishing, rugby

Thanks to Mike Carey and everyone else that have made this site so useful to me.

OlySpec
Angler

Post by OlySpec » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 pm

OlySpec here in downtown Olympia, WA!
I have been up here for almost 3 years now and absolutely love it. I started kayak angling a year ago and am absolutely in love with that new aspect of my angling experience. I am involved with two Kayak Angling groups (NorCal and PNW) and really enjoy meeting up with new people and enjoying the fisheries.

I am a 42 year old USMC veteran and try to help HOW and any other Veteran service groups as well.

I really want to learn about the different opportunities I have in this area and have been a long time lurker on these boards. I figured it was time to get busy, register, hopefully contribute to the community in a positive manner, and make some new fishing friends.

While my kayak is solo, I do trailer it and have room to carry another yak for carpooling. I love to camp (tent style) and travel all over the coast when I can. Currently I fish out of a 14' Hobie Pro Angler but love to fish the banks of a pretty river or stream as well.

My goal for 2013 is 100 days on the water, 20 species caught. Being so new to the area, I am going to need some help!
I look forward to sharing spirited conversations, generous libations, and helpful information with some new people on and off the water.

Tight Lines!

sjrose24
Petty Officer

Post by sjrose24 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:18 pm

name: Shaun
Home: Quincy

Fishing spots: Usually the upper Columbia and lakes in the surrounding area for salmon, steel head, and trout.
how long: My dad took me fishing when i was really young. I've been fishing for longer than i can remember.
Hobbies: other than fishing I hunt deer and elk and enjoy learning more about farming and improving Agriculture in central WA so we can help feed the world!
Work: Agronomist for the Wilbur Ellis Company

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:13 pm

welcome to the site! :)

theangler
Angler

Post by theangler » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:27 pm

I am 75-years old, started fishing in the 1940's, fished extensively until the mid-1960's, and then did no fishing whatsoever until last summer. It has been interesting seeing what has changed, what hasn't, and especially some things thought by many to be new (such as using a float to fish with a fly) that actually are very old methods used long before I started fishing.

Mike has done an especially nice job of making this forum both useful and attractive. I have been lurking a few months and decided to join.

-Bob

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Welcome Bob! I look forward to hearing your posts about the differences in what you see have seen change in 50-60 years. That will be interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the thickness of Washington state's regs.That being said we have so many more people in the world tapping the resource. Obviously we need some controls, but for you just coming back into it.....it's gonna be a mindblower!

Eileen Taasnagim
Angler

Post by Eileen Taasnagim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi Everyone in Washington

I am 34 and just moved here (Seattle) from Fort McMurray Canada. I still use my maiden name because my husband (Robert) has a weird yankee name and I am half Athabasca (First Nations) so I have a hard time adjusting to somethings down here. :-({|= Right now I don't have a job but I am thinking of going back to school for something but I can't decide what. I grew up fishing (and drinking :-$ ) and I am going to start a facebook page soon and I will share that too! [thumbsup]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:19 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Welcome Bob! I look forward to hearing your posts about the differences in what you see have seen change in 50-60 years. That will be interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the thickness of Washington state's regs.That being said we have so many more people in the world tapping the resource. Obviously we need some controls, but for you just coming back into it.....it's gonna be a mindblower!
welcome. I do have to give a big thanks to the Mods who keep on top of things and also for the members that have bought into the idea that a fishing forum doesn't have to be nasty to be fun and helpful.

rhodes19
Petty Officer

Post by rhodes19 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello,
I've read this site for a few years. At the Washington Sportsman's Show I was asked why I didn't become a premium member on this site. I didn't have an answer. So at the prompting of Kokanee-Lou ( on the Kokanee Fishing Forum ) I will do it.
I signed in here as rhodes19, But on the Kokanee FF I use Lowe1648mt.
I fish any where from Yellowstone Lake to Petersburg, Ak. Instate I fish from Yale Res. to Lake Whatcom. If it is biting, that is what I Fish for. I perfer to fish for Kokanee.

Kevin Roy
Angler

Post by Kevin Roy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 am

Hi friends I am Kevin from New York. I am here to learn new things and to share my views with all of you. I am here by the name Kevin Roy

drankh2so4
Angler

New Member- Thomas

Post by drankh2so4 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Name Thomas
Age 27
Location Centralia, Chehalis
Hobbies Snow Boarding, video games, gardening
What You Do Cook
Favorite Species To Fish For Kokanee
Where You Fish The Most Riffe Lake
How Long You Have Been Fishing a lot until I was 12. Then I picked it up again when I turned 26.
How You Got Introduced To Fishing Originally my x step father (hence quitting at 12), but I picked it up again because my x brother in law asked if I wanted to go fishing for salmon. Although I still haven't caught a salmon, I started going to the dam and pulling out a few kokanee. Because of this site I've been trying out new lakes, but still don't have a firm grasp on what I'm doing.
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing I work a lot. When I'm not working I'm spending time with my wife and fresh baby girl. I enjoy plinking in the woods and working on the house. Other than that I pretty much do whatever strikes my fancy at the moment.

johnsojuaf
Angler

Post by johnsojuaf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 am

Hey there,

name is Justin Johnson, I just recently moved to the area from California, I know I know. I was actually raised in Coeur D'Alene Idaho where my love for fishing comes from. Grew up fly fishing and lake fishing for bass, but as I've moved through my life I just pretty much fish for whatever I can get. In California it was the bottom fish and yellowtail and on occasion the Pelagic species when they were there. Well I'm hoping I can gleem a lot of information from the forum to get my rusty Northwest skills back again. Don't have a boat so I'm looking for the best shorefishing I can get for the moment until I can take the plunge. Living in Kirkland so Lake WA is calling my name pretty loudly, but I haven't seen any other anglers out there yet, so must not be that good of shorefishing at the moment. I'm an engineer so I tend to record a lot of data when fishing to try and figure out the best methods. I look forward to talking with you all and hope to have a lot of contributions to the forum with future catches.

stmcmurray76
Petty Officer

Post by stmcmurray76 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:07 am

Hi all, my name is Shane and I line in Marysville.
I am 36 yrs old and have a wife of almost 12 yrs and 2 kids, 17 and 10.
My fondest memories growing up were fishing the sound for salmon with my uncle every weekend during the summer and fall.
One particular memory comes to mind when my grandma hooked up with a big King, the line got wrapped around the prop and my uncle was not about to give up on it. My mom and grandma each held a leg and dunked him under the back of the boat until he untied the line. We finally got the fish to the boat, a 40# king. It was the biggest fish I'd ever seen and was determined to catch some for myself.
Then came life.
I started my own contracting business when I was 23 and got married and had kids shortly after, leaving me no time to fish. I would make sure to wet my rod at least once a year fishing the stockers on the local lakes around opening day.
Last summer I decided I would change my lifestyle and put more effort into fishing.
I traded some work for a 16' duraboat with a 40HP Merc and have been trying to get out any chance I get.
I caught the tail end of Coho season last fall only landing one out of the Snohomish river.
Since then I've been reading and studying all things fishing, and this site has definitely helped with that.
Being that I live so close to Lk Stevens I thought I would direct my attention to Kokanee fishing for the time being.
I have been out there 3 or 4 times in the last week with no luck. I'm confident I have the setup right, but I can't seem to find any fish.
I just bought a new Humminbird 597ci Combo to help with that, but still no luck.
Well, I guess thats more than an introduction, and would like to say thanks to everyone who contributes to make this the best fishing forum in WA.
Please help me catch more fish!

Caldwell
Angler

Post by Caldwell » Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi, I'm Chris Caldwell, a registered WL.com member for a couple of years but recent user of the forum. I live in Olympia and am not good at fishing so I'm eager to absorb any advice I can get. I grew up in southeast Alaska where you can put anything on a hook and catch fish off of whatever marina is closest to your house (in my case across the street) so I really never picked up any useful techniques during those "formative years." My goals for this year are to get a decent sized lingcod and a geoduck. If you see me on the water I'm probably the one snagged on a rock.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm

I don't know what kind of lures to use for geoducks, maybe a shotgun would work. :scratch: But welcome to WaLakes.
Tom.

Interests: living

amandapanda
Petty Officer

Post by amandapanda » Fri May 24, 2013 12:14 am

Hello! Newbie here. Name's Amanda (38) from Snohomish county area. I'd fished a couple of times as a child & not again until last year when my boyfriend took me out. Fell in love with it! Now, I travel with fishing gear in the car to be ready for those moments when a lake is nearby & I have a little time to pull over & enjoy a break from the grind for a short spell. So far in a year, I've visited Silver Lake, Lake Stevens, Gissberg twin lakes (ponds), Martha Lake (am), Lake Cassidy, Lake Roeseger, and today- Blackman's Lake (all in Snohomish County). Mostly shore fishing & occasionally I get the special treat of going out with my boyfriend on his 2 man boat. It's nice to be off a crowded dock. So far, my best days have been catching a huge small mouth bass, & getting a total of 6 rainbow trout with my man when we had a morning trip last week. I'm totally hooked! The majority of folks I meet are so nice, helpful, encouraging, friendly, & willing to share their knowledge. Today, a fella even gave me a rainbow trout! I look forward to learning more & enjoying this beautiful State of ours & all the tasty fish I can gather! I' sure I'll see some of you out there [thumbsup] ! Fish on!
FISH ON!

bacca
Petty Officer

Post by bacca » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Might as well get this over with... :)

Name is Ian (that's E-N, not EYE-N just to clarify! lol) I'm 29 and just moved to Bremerton from Jacksonville, Florida in March. I've been fishing since before I could use the toilet by myself. For the last 25 odd years, that's been in Florida, where all water is open year-round, and the temperature stays above 60 for 10 months. I've dabbled a bit in river fishing when I lived in Idaho for a short 1 1/2 years back in high school. I learned how to fly fish by myself at the tender age of about 11. Since I've moved here, I've only had time to go fishing a few chances, and haven't had a lot of luck, but that's probably due to just not knowing where everything is and what kind of lures/bait to use up here (I'm sure THAT'S it...) I have boated 1 blackmouth so far, and a few small trout up on Lake Crescent. My wife and I just got a little 12' Aluminum boat that should be ready for some lake fishing in the coming weeks. I'm always up for meeting people on the water for a day of catching and maybe trading a few fishing secrets, I'm not shy. So if you're ever driving down the road and see a Silver XTerra near a stretch of water, pull over and say hi.