Scooteney Reservoir hints

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tluedeke
Petty Officer

Scooteney Reservoir hints

Post by tluedeke » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm re-new back to the area (back after a ten year absence), and I now have a boat and better access to lakes. Being in Tri-Cities, Scooteney Reservoir is possible the closest spiny ray lake to the area. However, being a large lake, learning to fish it takes a substantial amount of time. I've shot many carp at the upper end, but have not fished it systematically via boat.

Looking for hints and suggestions (but not donation of hard-earned "hot-spot" fishing areas) in this lake for perch, crappie, bluegill, whitefish, catfish, and walleyes. I understand this lake is a notorious prop-eater, so any suggestions on where to avoid would be gratefully appreciated? I've googled out suggestions that the lower portion of the lake (below the wasteway, on Google Maps called "Chance Lake") is underutilized and may be productive.

Any thoughts on the "upper lake" (i.e. up through the channel above Scooteney Park), lower lake (i.e. below Scooteney Park, but above the wasteway to "Chance Lake", or the part of the lake below the wasteway "Chance Lake"?? Are there particular areas of structure I should investigate? I realize the upper mud flats should be a major carp shooting hot spot, but what about areas for spiny rays?

Any suggestions or thoughts (especially overview feedback) would be gratefully appreciated!

- Tom

bob johansen
Commander

Re: Scooteney Reservoir hints

Post by bob johansen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 am

It's difficult to pin point the prop eating areas as the water level in the reservoir varies quite a bit. I have an article on Scootney on page 2 of the articles that may help a bit. I really enjoy camping and fishing Scooteney.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Re: Scooteney Reservoir hints

Post by 3footvis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am

Stay to the left after you launch from the main park/campground. Just go slow and keep a close eye on your finder until you learn the lake.