Corn as bait

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MikeFishes
Commander

Corn as bait

Post by MikeFishes » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:30 am

In reading through this forum, I see that several people use corn. I thought that I might as well give it a try. Do you just use canned corn, as in off of the dinner table? Cause I have a few kids that just refuse to eat corn. :-k So, instead of tossing them in the yard waste bin, I thought I'd give em a try. Do you use them straight out of the can? What about fresh corn off of the cob?

gpc
Admiral

RE:Corn as bait

Post by gpc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:45 am

I have heard of people using regular corn, but the best stuff is the cured corn by pautzke. This is most commonly used for kokanee. The canned corn is used a lot for chumming (where legal) and that is also mostly used for kokanee. I havent used corn too many times. With so many different trout baits with scent, color, glitter, its kind of hard to use something as simple as corn. But hey, worms are still producing fish, and a lot of fish at that. Berkely also makes a corn flavored powerbait, and Mikes makes a corn scent (along with 100 other brands who make corn scent).

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:53 am

I use the Berkley corn nibblets.Becuase they stay on the hook better.I also heard but know if it true,but fish can't digest real corn.I don't know if it true or not.But it does make sense.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:22 am

Green Giant white shoepeg corn. :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm

Green Giant canned corn is great and stays on the hook, just get the short can.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:49 pm

I was told that the best bait for hatchery trout is corn or shrimp because that is what they feed them in the hatchery...can not confirm, just passing what I am fed.

Lewis

cornbok
Petty Officer

Post by cornbok » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:17 pm

I've only recently started using corn. Used it at Rufus Woods. A couple of days before I went fishing I minced some garlic cloves, and poured a bit of garlic oil over the corn and let it sit. I fished it off the end of a bobber with a piece of earthworm. I could just imagine the current swirling around carrying that garlic smell. Was a slow day of fishing till I used the corn and then I caught my limit in about 20 minutes. Maybe it was the corn, maybe I just got lucky. Time will tell.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:52 pm

cavdad45 wrote:Green Giant canned corn is great and stays on the hook, just get the short can.
++

I was sitting out on Swofford Pond late summer, early fall and was having no bites on anything I was throwing out. While stocking up with pogey bait I grabbed a can of corn to nibble on. The wife was hanging out with me and noticed I was getting no bites. She then suggested I try some corn. I looked at her and told her not to be a silly hobbit, fish aren't going to go for any corn. Half an hour later...I was attaching a kernel of corn to my hook. Low and behold...started getting bites. I swallowed my pride as her hat size increased...and now when I fish Swofford, I carry one of those teeny cans of corn just in case. 8-[

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:24 am

Ive been using the Green Giant White Shoepeg Corn at Lake Merwin for Kokes. Its so popular most of the sporting goods stores carry it on the shelf. There are several types of scents that you can add to it.
Where ever I go........There I am!

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:20 am

cornbok wrote:
I minced some garlic cloves, and poured a bit of garlic oil over the corn
Sounds yummy, with fresh caught trout.

Lou
Petty Officer

Post by Lou » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:01 pm

Yeah, corn works awesomely on Meridian, the lake i frequent for kokanee. I havn't tried much of the berkley gulp corn, but pautzke corn works amazingly well. I usually skip buying worms and just use corn, which i catch both kokes and bows at about the same rate. I just recently bought the blue corn, unsure if color really matters, but I'm prepared to compare.

-Lou

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:25 pm

My dad and grandad have had me use corn forever; I thought it was funny that when I started lookin on the internet that other people actually used it too. I never would have thought so many people used it; I just thought it was one of those old family secrets, like spittin on the bait before tossin it out. Not that spit does much, but my son sure loves any excuse to toss a loogie!
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:40 pm

[quote="VooDuuChild"]My dad and grandad have had me use corn forever]

I read in a fishing magazine years ago in an article about fishing "wives tales" that there is actually an enzyme or some such biological thing in human saliva that counteracts the sent we leave on bait by handling it...there is usually a bit of truth in them old tales!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:54 pm

I didnt belive in corn but.. today the guy next to e didnt catch a thing so I switched to some canned corn and caght an 11incer then hooked about a 4lber. Made a beliver out of me.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:49 am

Like a couple others said, Green Giant white shoepeg hammers kokanee...